IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 09:10 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod

I just purchased and installed 89650-53041 into my 2007 is350. When I reconnected the battery and turned the car on there was no power steering at all. I was told this is not normal. So i disconnected battery, waited 5 min and reconnected, didn't work. I disconnected the ECU and reconnected it back, still didn't work.

Then I reconnected the stock ECU and started the car. I still have no power steering and now the red "p/s" light came on. Im a bit frustrated at this point and looking for any suggestions.

Btw I did manage to break the two little nipple tab things that hold on the connector, but I ensured that I pushed the connector on as far as it would go. Hoping this has nothing to do with it.

I posted this in another thread but I am anxious to get as much input on this as possible, hope that's ok.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod-isf-ecu.jpg  
Old 07-10-14, 09:28 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Now the car wont even start. It goes through its little check when the ignition button is depressed but it wont crank. The battery is Lexus brand with 84 mo warranty, sticker on it shows 07/12.
Old 07-10-14, 10:12 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try disconnecting the battery again. Wait 10 min, ensure the ECU is plugged in as snug as it will go and reconnect the battery. If it still doesn't work, then I am not too sure.

You might be better off just sending the ECU my way.
Old 07-10-14, 10:21 AM
Zezz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the exact same problem last month after my ECU blew up, mine was a IS250 - 2007 and i swapped it with the 2006 ECU. It didn't give me power steering, then my brother convinced me to put in the 2008 ECU and everything's been heaven since.
Old 07-10-14, 10:24 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you disturb the ground underneath the battery tray? Sounds like grounding issues
Old 07-10-14, 10:37 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Did you disturb the ground underneath the battery tray? Sounds like grounding issues
The one in this pic, the main battery ground? It was snug but I tightened it a bit more. Im wondering if somehow I ran the battery down, my charger takes forever, can I just jump this car like any other car?
Attached Thumbnails Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod-ground.jpg  
Old 07-10-14, 11:23 AM
240M3SRT
Rookie

I put the stock steering ecu back in and was able to start the car by giving it gas to keep the rpms up, feels like its in some kind of limp mode. I do have the power steering back but the VSC light, red triangle, CEL, and traction control light are all on. The car wants to die at idle and it will not go over 1-3mph. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod-dash-lights.jpg  
Old 07-10-14, 12:02 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you didn't blow any fuses when you removed and reconnected your battery. Other than that, you really need to read the codes to see what the problem is. Do you have a tech stream or bluetooth obd2 adapter to check the codes with?
Old 07-10-14, 12:18 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Ok so I disconnected the battery for 10-15 min then reconnected it(with factory ecu). Car started fine, drives normal, no dash light of any sort. Even deactivated VSC via the button and drove it around the block. I don't understand what the issue was.

After that I swapped the ISF ecu back in and it started and ran fine again with no dash lights. However there is no power steering whatsoever. I drove it around the the block and everything is fine just no power steering.

So the question is what to do now. Do I go to the dealer like this and have it calibrated or does the fact that it is currently providing no power steering mean I need to take a step back and try something else?
Old 07-10-14, 12:24 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should have the steering ecu calibrated at the dealer before worrying anymore. If the calibration doesn't work, you may have to send the ecu back for another one. You may have just gotten a bad part.
Old 07-10-14, 12:33 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, did you purchase the ECU as a new or used component? I'd put in the stock ecu, drive to the dealership, put in the IS-F steering ecu yourself, and have them calibrate it. If they find out while there you have issues with the ecu, have the dealership print something out so you have that to take back to whomever you purchased it from.

GL, and be safe!
Old 07-10-14, 01:12 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were me, I would have planned ahead for this project. I would have bought the techstream cable from China and then done the swap so I could calibrate it myself. Cost: $20.
Old 07-10-14, 01:46 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
If it were me, I would have planned ahead for this project. I would have bought the techstream cable from China and then done the swap so I could calibrate it myself. Cost: $20.
You can't calibrate it as there's no access to calibration files on the crappy pirated cable
Old 07-10-14, 03:42 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

I took yalls advice and drove down to the dealer on the stock ecu, then swapped it in the parking lot. Luckily they were able to get it calibrated without issue. I cant tell you how relieved i am! I just don't understand why im the first person to do the ecu swap and it provide no power steering assist at all until calibration. Plus what was with the other issues, who knows.

Whats the scoop with the techstream cable, is this something I should look into?
Old 07-10-14, 04:11 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
You can't calibrate it as there's no access to calibration files on the crappy pirated cable
This isn't reflashing an ECU with a new calibration file, it's just running the calibration procedure. Similar to zero point initialization, etc. TechStream Lite can do the EPS computer calibration.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod