Bonroad/Alibaba/Roadrover Bluetooth Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 09:11 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bonroad/Alibaba/Roadrover Bluetooth Quality

Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to purchase the 8 inch navi upgrade for my 2006 350. Shortly after, I'd like to add premium components and a 12 or 15 for bump, with dynomat throughout.

My only concern is the bluetooth quality of the navi upgrade. I've seen a few digs on it throughout the site and wanted to see if it was poor quality or if it was decent.

Thanks for your opinions,

Chris

Also, I was considering adding android mini him I via component to display phone on the screen. Has anyone tried this yet?

Last edited by navarachi; 05-18-14 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add on
Old 05-19-14, 09:39 AM
funk21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's decent. I only used it a couple of times and I had to repeat what I said every so often. As for the audio quality, it's not too great. It's manageable but it sounds as if someone is taking with their lips touching the mic.

Compared to stock, it's easily half the quality if not worse.
Old 05-19-14, 10:58 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 8" Alibaba unit and has the built in microphone and I use it all the time when Im driving. the audio quality is pretty clear as well as me speaking to the person on the other end. (Paired with samsung galaxy S3). I can have full blown conversations with out saying "WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY" the entire time. Its not the clearest but one of the better IMO. And I have an exhaust too so that should say something good. Be smart though, using it with the windows down cruising at X speed is gonna sound like crap though but thats just common sense

Audio streaming from phone is pretty poor though. I have an Ipod that I use the apple USB cable with or just go straight into the AUX jack

the 7" road rovers were different and had the external microphone that have to be mounted in the car somewhere and I know people had tons of issues with those trying to hide it while putting it somewhere that picks up audio well.
Old 05-20-14, 02:31 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I have the 8" Alibaba unit and has the built in microphone and I use it all the time when Im driving. the audio quality is pretty clear as well as me speaking to the person on the other end. (Paired with samsung galaxy S3). I can have full blown conversations with out saying "WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY" the entire time. Its not the clearest but one of the better IMO. And I have an exhaust too so that should say something good. Be smart though, using it with the windows down cruising at X speed is gonna sound like crap though but thats just common sense

Audio streaming from phone is pretty poor though. I have an Ipod that I use the apple USB cable with or just go straight into the AUX jack

the 7" road rovers were different and had the external microphone that have to be mounted in the car somewhere and I know people had tons of issues with those trying to hide it while putting it somewhere that picks up audio well.
Yes, I was refering to the bluetooth streaming... thanks on that.

Overall, would you say your happy with it or if you had to do it over, would you have left the non-nav in place, or went a different route?

What do you like about this unit? It looks a ton better than what I have now, but I'm trying to justify the purchase... does it have any functionality that makes the nav totally worth the purchase in your opinion?

Thanks
Old 05-20-14, 06:04 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would absolutely recommend it, and if i were to do it again, I would still recommend the this unit. I didnt really buy it much for the actual GPS portion since most nav maps arent as accurate as google maps. But basic direction, it works really well like any standalone gps unit. I bought it more for cellphone bluetooth because cops are cracking down on cellphone tickets real hard so thats really where it becomes worth it. Save your self the 5 points and $200 fine. As for audio streaming, it comes with an ipod cable or i just use the standard aux port.

It looks identical to OEM and just makes the car look so much nicer and it can be customized if you have the patience to do so. I found my self using the dvd player once or twice here and there (when my gf gets her hair done).

Plus an OEM unit is $1200 plus $500 for custom harness to get everything to work. so your staring at $1700 not including install. With this unit you get all the same functions and its plug and play for under/around $600. Worth it in my book
Old 05-20-14, 09:06 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Phone call quality is quite poor, but better than nothing.

Bluetooth streaming almost seems to be hit or miss... a few times I have used and and thought it was actually quite decent... then other times I think it sounds quite poor. Don't know what the deciding factor that caused the change was.
Old 05-20-14, 10:32 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Bluetooth actually sucks. Sorry.
Old 07-08-14, 03:54 PM
NZIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bluetooth streaming is hit and miss as well. Like you say sometimes it's fine and then it becomes tinny and crackly. Its an odd one as I can sometimes skip a song and it seems to fix the problem for a while.

I wondered if it was some sort of interference with the unit as sometimes it crackles when Nav boots up. Was hoping that moving the GPS antenna will help but suspect I'm being optimistic