IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 09:34 PM
dkobryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll see if I can send you the part number tomorrow.
Old 01-12-16, 06:47 AM
Trolling55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkobryant
The transmission is guaranteed for the "life" of the car. But "life" doesn't mean forever, according to Lexus. It's something close to 100K miles. Never changing transmission oil is a ridiculous idea, and part of what's causing so many to fail at around 100k miles. Transmission shops will drain the oil, but they cannot get it all out at once, so they have to change it a couple of times over a 12 month period, if it's never been done. The 2757 code can be triggered by thick or gummy fluid or dirty oil. It is very sensitive to changes in hydraulic pressure, so try the oil change first to see if that fixes it. If not, then replace the solenoid and do another oil change with filter ($500). Lexus recommends getting a new tranny and will not change the solenoid when this code appears. Some Lexus mechanics told me it is too much of a liability, because they might get blamed for future problems in the transmission (other solenoids, etc.) They used to change torque converter solenoids, but too many people blamed them for other problems that came later, and they were held responsible for the entire tranny. Now they tell people "you're just putting a band aid on a larger problem," meaning the tranny is old and starting to wear out. They'll tell you that more problems are on the way and easier to replace it all at once, which isn't necessarily true. But they'll try to talk you out of it. Some people actually have bad tongue converters and need a total rebuild ($3000). For me, it was just a bad solenoid. The symptoms were mild or barely noticeable: at lower speeds it felt like the car chose higher gears. The solenoid fixed everything, and the car runs better than ever with no codes for the last 10,000 miles.
I'm having the same problem with the Code P2757. Changed the oil and filter twice and same code appears but its intermittent. VSC light goes away after a couple of days and goes back on. Transmission shifts the gear rapidly at times. I'm in 6th gear while doing 30 on the city street and I also feel the transmission doesn't want to shift to lower gear while I try to accelerate.
Old 01-12-16, 08:12 AM
dkobryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trolling55
I'm having the same problem with the Code P2757. Changed the oil and filter twice and same code appears but its intermittent. VSC light goes away after a couple of days and goes back on. Transmission shifts the gear rapidly at times. I'm in 6th gear while doing 30 on the city street and I also feel the transmission doesn't want to shift to lower gear while I try to accelerate.
When the pressure valve is stuck open you won't have any problems at high speeds, but will have slight problems at lower speeds. A mechanic can test this for you by plugging a special scanner into your engine code outlet. While driving, he can use this device to see whether the pressure control valve opens and closes as it should. He can also open and close it manually with the same device.

My car had symptoms similar to yours, but barely noticeable. I think mine was OK finding lower gears for hard accelerations, but less reliable when speeding up slightly. I just assumed it was trying to save gas by using higher gears as often as possible. Of course, everything worked fine in sport mode, when choosing gears manually. Changing the solenoid made the car much better at lower speeds, with no problem finding the right gear anymore. At first, the car was confused with the new solenoid, and I had to unplug the battery to reset everything. Then it was perfect. Afterward, I brought it to Lexus for a full diagnostic and they seemed happy with everything, although one mechanic told me it was just a "band-aid fix that wouldn't last." But what he meant is that "the tranny is getting old and other parts will fail, and that it's not worth doing a bunch of repairs vs getting a new tranny." To me it WAS worth $500, even if I have another repair later. But take it to an independent transmission shop because Lexus will charge $800-$1000 for the same job. Incidentally, my car had 135k miles when I first changed the oil and replaced the solenoid. The oil was very old but there was no sign of mechanical wear.

Best of luck!

Last edited by dkobryant; 01-12-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 04:03 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a 2006 is250 with 152k miles
i got it with 140k and over my 12k of driving only once did vsc lights come on and i turned off the car and let it sit for 5 min and it went away... my car's idle is rough and tranny makes noise when going from park to reverse sometimes and sometimes when driving from a stop or after shifting out ofpark. i was going to do a top engine cleaning soon in hopes that is the problem but now im wondering if it's transmission after reading this post..
any suggestions or tips from experience?? i would like to get this fixed before my car starts throwing a buncha codes and things have more time to break

thanks guys!!
parsa
Old 01-12-16, 04:09 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkobryant
The transmission is guaranteed for the "life" of the car. But "life" doesn't mean forever, according to Lexus. It's something close to 100K miles. Never changing transmission oil is a ridiculous idea, and part of what's causing so many to fail at around 100k miles. Transmission shops will drain the oil, but they cannot get it all out at once, so they have to change it a couple of times over a 12 month period, if it's never been done. The 2757 code can be triggered by thick or gummy fluid or dirty oil. It is very sensitive to changes in hydraulic pressure, so try the oil change first to see if that fixes it. If not, then replace the solenoid and do another oil change with filter ($500). Lexus recommends getting a new tranny and will not change the solenoid when this code appears. Some Lexus mechanics told me it is too much of a liability, because they might get blamed for future problems in the transmission (other solenoids, etc.) They used to change torque converter solenoids, but too many people blamed them for other problems that came later, and they were held responsible for the entire tranny. Now they tell people "you're just putting a band aid on a larger problem," meaning the tranny is old and starting to wear out. They'll tell you that more problems are on the way and easier to replace it all at once, which isn't necessarily true. But they'll try to talk you out of it. Some people actually have bad torque converters and need a total rebuild ($3000). For me, it was just a bad solenoid. The symptoms were mild or barely noticeable: at lower speeds it felt like the car chose higher gears. The solenoid fixed everything, and the car runs better than ever with no codes for the last 10,000 miles.
thanks this is reassuring to read after everyone saying how they get dicked lol. my car only threw up vsc lights okce in my 12k miles of owning it and it has 150k now so i dont think mine is too bad either... do u recommend i replace the solenoid now or wait until it gives cnstant error codes? could waiting mess up other parts? i think im gonna go to the dealer and have them reflash the tranny ecu to start...
Old 01-12-16, 07:03 PM
dkobryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Parsa
thanks this is reassuring to read after everyone saying how they get dicked lol. my car only threw up vsc lights okce in my 12k miles of owning it and it has 150k now so i dont think mine is too bad either... do u recommend i replace the solenoid now or wait until it gives cnstant error codes? could waiting mess up other parts? i think im gonna go to the dealer and have them reflash the tranny ecu to start...
Don't know whether yours has the same issues as mine. The VSC lights will come on for other reasons, such as a loose gas cap. Just depends on what codes you were given. I would recommend waiting for VSC lights to come on again, before doing anything expensive like replacing a solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, you will get the VSC lights on a regular basis (1-2 times per month). I would certainly recommend changing the transmission oil (but don't flush it), if you haven't already.
Old 01-21-16, 03:05 PM
is250uk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys.unfortunatly after replacing slu solenoid 35280-30050/ error code p2757/ just 500mi ago.new error code just came with all lights/vsc,check,traction/ p0894.
any ideas?
is that onother solenoid-and if is solenoid which one is it?
if is onother solenoid isnt better transmission replace because i dont want to replace every each of them every 500mi?
Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by is250uk; 01-21-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 06:34 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PO894 look like another transmission solenoid. You might have to change another one, but it's still cheaper then new transmission.
Old 02-04-16, 03:27 PM
is250uk
Driver School Candidate

P0894 any ideas??
thanks
Old 02-04-16, 05:55 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is250uk
P0894 any ideas??
thanks
PO894 that's tranmission solenoid code. I recommend you get transmission fuild flush and reprogram updates by Lexus dealer.
Old 02-05-16, 04:47 AM
is250uk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
PO894 that's tranmission solenoid code. I recommend you get transmission fuild flush and reprogram updates by Lexus dealer.
which solenoid is that?
Old 02-05-16, 05:12 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So do all IS have serious tranny issues with just 100-150k miles on the clock? Any way to prevent it ? I never had any motor or tranny issues on any of the cars I owned all the way past 150k miles.
Old 02-05-16, 07:42 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kolyan
So do all IS have serious tranny issues with just 100-150k miles on the clock? Any way to prevent it ? I never had any motor or tranny issues on any of the cars I owned all the way past 150k miles.
I think only few have issue. Most have no problem IS350 are pretty bullet proof.
Old 02-06-16, 01:06 AM
sb217fo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
PO894 look like another transmission solenoid. You might have to change another one, but it's still cheaper then new transmission.
OBD says 0894 transmission component slipping.I have same issues.Done
calibration... now i change fluid and will see what is happening.Have 117k
on my is250
Old 02-06-16, 09:51 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sb217fo
OBD says 0894 transmission component slipping.I have same issues.Done
calibration... now i change fluid and will see what is happening.Have 117k
on my is250
You're right tranmission slipping, and dealer will calibrate. Keep us updated and see how it go.

Quick Reply: Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission