IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! Check VSC, Engine Light, Trac Light on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 10:07 PM
kabear808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Check VSC, Engine Light, Trac Light on.

i recently purchased a 2006 lexus is250. It only has 50k miles. It was driving fine all day until i decided to put in HIDS. Basically my friend put them in, and every thing was okay. Oh and before then i had turned it on 3 times within an hour prior to the final installation. Then all of a sudden my check VSC light came one, along with my check engine, and trac control light off. Not to mention i have to push the start button twice. The first time the car tries to start up but is disturbed by the check VSC. Then when i press the second one it was totally fine! i had driven it all day and everything was okay.. Now i feel like the car won't accelerate or anything i need help!!
Old 01-27-14, 10:24 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kabear808
i recently purchased a 2006 lexus is250. It only has 50k miles. It was driving fine all day until i decided to put in HIDS. Basically my friend put them in, and every thing was okay. Oh and before then i had turned it on 3 times within an hour prior to the final installation. Then all of a sudden my check VSC light came one, along with my check engine, and trac control light off. Not to mention i have to push the start button twice. The first time the car tries to start up but is disturbed by the check VSC. Then when i press the second one it was totally fine! i had driven it all day and everything was okay.. Now i feel like the car won't accelerate or anything i need help!!
Those combination of lights could mean a variety of things. My guess would be carbon buildup?

The best thing to do is get the error code on your car read, autozone will do this for free and in less than 5 mins. After you find out the code, you can then look it up to see whats wrong with your car.
Old 01-27-14, 10:28 PM
kabear808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Those combination of lights could mean a variety of things. My guess would be carbon buildup?

The best thing to do is get the error code on your car read, autozone will do this for free and in less than 5 mins. After you find out the code, you can then look it up to see whats wrong with your car.
i bought it used no warranty, so I'm guessing lexus won't do anything about it? idk its weird because it was working fine then bam out of no where this happened!!!
Old 01-27-14, 10:31 PM
kabear808
Driver School Candidate

and its weird that only now the car isn't accelerating very well, and making a weird high pitch noise when doing it
Old 01-27-14, 10:32 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

i bought it used no warranty, so I'm guessing lexus won't do anything about it? idk its weird because it was working fine then bam out of no where this happened!!!
Since your warranty is over, Lexus wont do anything unless you pay them.

I would get the code read for free first and then decide whether to fix it at a Lexus dealership or an independent mechanic. It might not be related to the HIDs at all and it was just coincidental that it happened when you put in your HIDs.
Old 01-27-14, 10:34 PM
kabear808
Driver School Candidate

so you think its really an engine problem?? i bought it from older people and i called lexus and they even said they took great care of the car. the car shifts fine if I'm not trying to accelerate to fast but when i try to punch it its like i get no where...
Old 01-27-14, 10:39 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's something as simple as a small vacuum leak... Run the codes and report back with what you found.
Old 01-27-14, 10:40 PM
kabear808
Driver School Candidate

Since your warranty is over, Lexus wont do anything unless you pay them.

I would get the code read for free first and then decide whether to fix it at a Lexus dealership or an independent mechanic. It might not be related to the HIDs at all and it was just coincidental that it happened when you put in your HIDs.
so you think its really an engine problem?? i bought it from older people and i called lexus and they even said they took great care of the car. the car shifts fine if I'm not trying to accelerate to fast but when i try to punch it its like i get no where...
Old 01-27-14, 10:43 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

What I think to be the problem is carbon buildup.

You can do a search on here as it has been highly discussed. The issue occurs commonly on the IS250 and results in your car feeling like its bogging down (to the point where the rev dips very low and it shutters and dies). The problem is exasperated by poor quality gas and not driving your car hard. Either way, the problem results from an engine design flaw.

As this problem is pretty common, Lexus has issue a TSB on it. However, I don't know if they'll perform it for free once your out of warranty.

However im completely speculating at this point. The only way to know is to get the code read. It could be as simple as a vacuum leak like e46m3lol stated.
Old 01-27-14, 11:17 PM
kabear808
Driver School Candidate

What I think to be the problem is carbon buildup.

You can do a search on here as it has been highly discussed. The issue occurs commonly on the IS250 and results in your car feeling like its bogging down (to the point where the rev dips very low and it shutters and dies). The problem is exasperated by poor quality gas and not driving your car hard. Either way, the problem results from an engine design flaw.

As this problem is pretty common, Lexus has issue a TSB on it. However, I don't know if they'll perform it for free once your out of warranty.

However im completely speculating at this point. The only way to know is to get the code read. It could be as simple as a vacuum leak like e46m3lol stated.
i read they extended it to 9 years
Old 01-29-14, 09:12 AM
tokio417
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...up-csp-59.html

This is the thread you're looking for most likely. You are covered until 2015 since you have a 2006 IS
Old 01-29-14, 10:16 AM
An2ny
Driver

IT IS THE HIDs!!! Take them out and put the OEM bulbs back on.
The exact same thing happened to me. It will take a few cycles/ miles after you take them out to completely clear all the lights so don’t worry about it.

By the way these lights are NOT CELs (Check engine light) so there are no codes to read here.
Unless the actual CEL is on …either way, it is the HIDs!!!

Last edited by An2ny; 01-29-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 11:07 AM
IS350GIOS
Driver School Candidate

Not the best diagnostic but quick fix to see if it comes back...unplug battery for 1 minute and replug...see if the lights and performance comes back.
Old 01-29-14, 11:13 AM
IS350GIOS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350GIOS
Not the best diagnostic but quick fix to see if it comes back...unplug battery for 1 minute and replug...see if the lights and performance comes back.
Usually the vsc and check engine lights are linked to a transmission code like the P0894 component slipping.
Mine came on when i first got the car, the lexus dealer told me that cause i was a new driver on the car and driving it harder than the previous owner it could go on. I reset it twice and it hasnt come back since. and yes when in that mode it does effect the performance cause it puts itself in a safemode.
Not a expert but telling you my situation.
Good luck bud
Old 01-29-14, 01:52 PM
An2ny
Driver

Unplugging the battery/removing the ECU fuse, will not reset the ABS/Airbag/ Traction control/ VSC lights, it may get rid of the CEL for a while but it will not fix any issues.

I am not an electrician or an expert, but some cars need some code cancellers when installing HIDs/ LEDs because the ECU thinks you have a bulb out or an issue/ disconnect on the circuit.
These cancellers are just an ohm/ watt resistor that fools the system by providing the correct resistance since the HIDs and LEDs draw a lower current. However I know that these cancellers/ resistors sometimes don’t work.

If you really want the HIDs you will have to contact a vendor that knows and understand the product and the specific car or go with 100% OEM system and not some generic EBay lights.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

Just remove the HIDs for now because when those lights are on the ABS/ Airbag etc systems will not work!

Quick Reply: HELP! Check VSC, Engine Light, Trac Light on.