IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 11:31 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by circuitt
Someone posted that there car felt slower after getting new cam gears installed. is this something to be concerned about, is it going retard the timing or something?
They would need to provide actual before and after dyno numbers or drag time sheets...they are simply going by their "butt dyno" and a percieved feeling. There is nothing done that would cause an engine to put out less BHP, and if there was the ECU would catch it and turn all the warning lights on...
Old 10-12-13, 11:34 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by circuitt
Someone posted that there car felt slower after getting new cam gears installed. is this something to be concerned about, is it going retard the timing or something?
No, Like I mentioned the engineers are still mum on the design improvements, but I recorded data before and after and did not see any alterations to function. I believe its strictly a bolt redesign and set pin redesign. The actuators are what control the timing change and (ECU controls the logic) and there isn't a reflash involved so in no way would it affect performance.

Last edited by GSKaplan; 10-12-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 11:57 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

for those who are curious. Notices will go out in phases because of parts availability.
VIN RANGES AFFECTED
Old 10-12-13, 12:34 PM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

!!!! F I N A L L Y!!!!
Thank god I didn't pay $2k to get that fixed. Just called my local dealership (JM Lexus). Dropping off my car Tuesday morning to get this s h i t fixed finally. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 10-12-13, 02:07 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Funny, I go into my local Greenville, SC dealership today and assume I'll be setup with an appointment later this coming week; but they say they have yet to receive any parts to perform this recall. Grrrrrrr! On top of that, I tried asking one of the "service techs" to explain to me why the fix for the TSIB is to replace the actual cam gears and the recall is only to fix/replace the cam bolts. Blah blah blah, it's how they were installed at the factory....BS BS BS.

Anyhow, since their appears be at least one knowledgeable Lexus tech on here I'll ask this question here too.

Why is the fix for the TSIB is to replace the actual cam gear and the recall is only to fix/replace the cam bolts?

Curious to see what ideas we have in regards to this; my '06 350 has experienced the cam rattle about 10 times since I've owned it in 4/1/11.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-13, 02:56 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Funny, I go into my local Greenville, SC dealership today and assume I'll be setup with an appointment later this coming week; but they say they have yet to receive any parts to perform this recall. Grrrrrrr! On top of that, I tried asking one of the "service techs" to explain to me why the fix for the TSIB is to replace the actual cam gears and the recall is only to fix/replace the cam bolts. Blah blah blah, it's how they were installed at the factory....BS BS BS.

Anyhow, since their appears be at least one knowledgeable Lexus tech on here I'll ask this question here too.

Why is the fix for the TSIB is to replace the actual cam gear and the recall is only to fix/replace the cam bolts?

Curious to see what ideas we have in regards to this; my '06 350 has experienced the cam rattle about 10 times since I've owned it in 4/1/11.

Thanks!
The Recall and TSIB are essentially identical, the only difference is the part used. Lexus updated the CAM GEARS due to the housing bolts backing out of the front of the gear. The rattle is perceived to be the cause of the backing out due to the violent nature. The CAM GEARS with the updated PIN and/or BOLTS already installed in it are what is being replaced.

maybe this will help people understand
Old 10-12-13, 03:45 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I dont know if this was posted exactly, but here is what lexus.com said for my IS350..

Safety Recall DLG Remedy Notice - Certain 2006 to 2011 Model Year IS350, Certain 2010 to 2011 Model Year IS350C and Certain 2007 to 2011 Model Year GS350 Vehicles - 2GR-FSE Intake VVT Actuator Gear

This is an important Safety Recall. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer and schedule an appointment to have this remedy performed as soon as possible.

What is the Condition? The subject vehicles are equipped with a Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) system which controls the camshafts to provide optimal valve timing under certain driving conditions. The bolts used to secure the housing and sprocket of the intake-side VVT gear assembly could become loose due to abnormal impacts generated within the gear assembly immediately after a cold start-up. If this occurs, the VVT gear will not control the intake valves correctly. In certain cases, the VVT gear housing and sprocket could separate and result in an engine stall while the vehicle is being driven, increasing the risk of a crash.
Old 10-12-13, 04:43 PM
teefar
Driver

No IS 250? Strange
Old 10-12-13, 05:26 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
The Recall and TSIB are essentially identical, the only difference is the part used. Lexus updated the CAM GEARS due to the housing bolts backing out of the front of the gear. The rattle is perceived to be the cause of the backing out due to the violent nature. The CAM GEARS with the updated PIN and/or BOLTS already installed in it are what is being replaced.

maybe this will help people understand
Ok, so they are the same fix for the same issue; I figured that. So what you are confirming here is that indeed they will be replacing two cam gears with the updated bolts/pins already in them on this recall...correct?

Thanks for the picture; images always help!
Old 10-12-13, 05:32 PM
Gville350

Oh, and I just read that someone stated that the camshafts will be replaced too on this recall? Kinda doubt that...but doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 10-12-13, 05:33 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Ok, so they are the same fix for the same issue; I figured that. So what you are confirming here is that indeed they will be replacing two cam gears with the updated bolts/pins already in them on this recall...correct?

Thanks for the picture; images always help!
yes, 2 gears plus the gaskets listed earlier.
Old 10-12-13, 05:35 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Oh, and I just read that someone stated that the camshafts will be replaced too on this recall? Kinda doubt that...but doesn't hurt to ask.
No, camshafts will be removed temporarily in order to install the gears on the end, but they aren't what are being replaced.
Old 10-12-13, 11:37 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I need to wait for a notice or can I call the dealership to set up an appointment? I was turned away for not having the recall notice for the windshield wiper nut (which I still didn't receive).
Old 10-13-13, 01:40 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ You never need the actual recall notice. They search your vin number and thats pretty much it.
What you need to do is find a better dealership!

Thanks GSKaplan on filling everyone in on the procedure. Always nice to see a tech on the forums contributing their expert knowledge!
Old 10-13-13, 07:09 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be a dumb question but does the oil need to be drained while doing this recall?

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!