IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS 250 or Ford Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 02:07 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don;t know why everybody keep mention the gas mileage is better on Lexus. It is not. As a matter of fact is horrible for that engine. The mustang has 100 hp more a bigger engine 3.7 and still get the same if not better gas mileage than the IS250. Lexus is rated 20/28 and Mustang 19/29, 31 on MSN.
Fine, mileage is the same, my mistake.
Old 09-30-13, 02:34 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Sounds like you've already made your decision, not sure what else you need from this thread. Realistically the Mustang will last you the 2-3 years, but don't forget to consider mileage and fuel costs, depreciation, and possibly insurance (ie. 4 door luxury sedan vs. 2-door sports car).

There are many reasons for why the cars are priced so similarly. Domestic models have been plagued with poor resale value for a very long time, and personally I think it has a lot to do with the fact that since they are American-made, they are very common. Imported makes usually retain their value a little better because they are less common. In this case, the proven reliability of the IS also improves its resale value.

Also, Lexus is more of a refined, luxury brand vs the edgy, contemporary Ford brand. Luxury almost always costs more.

When you end up selling the car, chances are that you'll get more back from the Lexus, but how much I don't know. The value will continue to drop as newer models are released, but those new models of the IS start at around $38k, so you shouldn't see any drastic price drops for a few years still. For example, I bought my car about a year and a half ago. I could turn around and sell it tomorrow for the same price I paid, and that's after putting 12500 miles on it.
I know I'll be able to sell the Lexus with a lot less depreciation in price. It's not that I've made up my mind, but everyone's telling me to check other cheaper Lexuses. They say is not worth $14k, and I just haven't found anything cheaper.
Old 09-30-13, 02:37 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don;t know why everybody keep mention the gas mileage is better on Lexus. It is not. As a matter of fact is horrible for that engine. The mustang has 100 hp more a bigger engine 3.7 and still get the same if not better gas mileage than the IS250. Lexus is rated 20/28 and Mustang 19/29, 31 on MSN.
I'll be more than happy if the Mustang's fuel consumption is as the IS. Japanese cars go farther with the gallon than American cars. So I'll be very happy if the Mustang is on par with the IS.
Old 09-30-13, 02:43 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you absolutely need to buy one of the two?
You can wait, save a little, and see if your options open up for you. You sound a little hesitant on pulling the trigger. I'd follow through on those instincts.
Old 09-30-13, 03:27 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if you worried about the carbon bulidup...you should look for a CPO IS250
Old 09-30-13, 04:04 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by malanjari
I'll be more than happy if the Mustang's fuel consumption is as the IS. Japanese cars go farther with the gallon than American cars. So I'll be very happy if the Mustang is on par with the IS.
It is way better as it takes regular so your saving on gas quite a bit. Plus you have serious power when need it. I think Lexus really screw up with 250 engine, power of a 4cylinder with gas mileage of a v6
Old 09-30-13, 06:03 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you worried about the carbon bulidup...you should look for a CPO IS250
I'll check, but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it. They're all over $20k.
Old 09-30-13, 06:06 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by don
Do you absolutely need to buy one of the two?
You can wait, save a little, and see if your options open up for you. You sound a little hesitant on pulling the trigger. I'd follow through on those instincts.
A friend pointed out to me today that if I had really wanted a Mustang, then I would've been jumping from joy over this deal. It was cheaper than average, had lower mileage, and was certified. Wish it was the IS though, it's over priced, huge mileage, and is certain to breakdown soon.
Old 09-30-13, 09:08 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

I've owned a mustang before and now drive the Lexus IS. If you want performance only, go for the mustang. If you just go on cruises and do accelerations once in a while, go for the Lexus. The Mustang does have a bumpier ride but it accelerates way faster than the IS 250 since it's got a bigger engine. Gas mileage, I'd say both are probably the same but you would probably save more on the IS 250 since it does only have a 2.5 liter engine whereas the mustang has a 3.8L V6. I have to fill up once a week for the IS 250 because I have a heavy foot and I had to do the same with the mustang, it just all depends on how your driving habits are and what you prefer, performance or luxury. Also, the amount of space in the cabin. If you need space, definitely go with the Lexus because the Mustang has absolutely no space at all for someone who is over 5'7 (I'm 5'7 1/2 and can barely fit in the back). Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-13, 01:04 AM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned more cars than most. Of all of the cars I have owned far and away the most reliable are Fords. The Mustang has been built by the same people in the same factory for years. It's a fine product.

I think that 100,000 is a lot of miles for any car. Also the longer a car has been in service the more opportunities that someone or something was screwed up at some point. You should not expect to get more than 125,000 miles out of any car before things start going bad.

Another thing to check would be how happy are people that are in the service department of any car you purchase. Go sit at the deanship in the waiting area first thing in the morning and see how the dealer treats its customers.

Some things to check… Open the hood and rub your had along the edge of the sides. If it's rough the car has probably been repainted. Get underneath the car and look for signs of parts that are in just too good a shape. There should be a nice coating of crude by now, if not something was replaced and you'll want to know why. Ask for service records if they are available. Check the expiration date of the tires. Check the color of the oil on the Engine and Transmission (if automatic). It should not smell burnt. Buying used cars can be a real crapshoot. Pick a good dealer anytime over a good deal.

Good luck… Enjoy college, after that, it's work, work, work for 40+ years
Old 10-01-13, 06:39 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If only keeping for 2-3 years, get a cash car. SAVE YOUR MONEY especially since you will be in College.

Once you graduate then get a car payment.
Old 10-01-13, 08:00 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

IS250 vs Mustang not a good comparison, compare IS350 to Mustang and you will probably go for the IS350.

Last edited by carlos3366; 10-01-13 at 08:00 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-01-13, 08:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnD
If only keeping for 2-3 years, get a cash car. SAVE YOUR MONEY especially since you will be in College.

Once you graduate then get a car payment.
That's very sound advice. Go for something like a Honda Civic sedan, drive it for 3 years and continue to save up, and by the time you graduate you'll have a nice downpayment for a better car, or you can just buy the car you want outright.
Old 10-01-13, 06:13 PM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dragtek1
If you are looking for the "long haul" I would definitely recommend the Lexus, however, for 3-5 years, I would definitely say the Mustang.

The 3.7 V6 is an extremely durable engine and has a great amount of power. I am unfamiliar with the transmission, but has pretty good reviews. It has a live-axle setup, so the simple drivetrain should be pretty stout.

The problem with the Lexus is multiple folds:
1. With a "sealed transmission," it is quite debatable whether or not the transmission could be flushed. The problem with this is the life expectancy is around 100k-150k miles. A new one or rebuilt one can be extremely pricey.
2. The Is250 does have a problem with carbon build up. Most cars with direct injection has this problem and usually around the 100k miles, driveability issues can arise from it. If properly maintained and cleaned; you should not have an issue.

To sum it up, the Lexus is a great car, but it is also a gamble. It is out of warranty and sold as is, so if any problems arise, you are the one that foots the bill. The mustang on the other hand, will have the powertrain under warranty for the time span you plan on owning it. IF, you were planning on keeping it for more than 5 years, then I think the Lexus would be your clear winner. Good luck!
Agree. These are two different animals, but it looks like you want reliability and dependability over the next few years. For your needs, go with the mustang.
Old 10-01-13, 08:08 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgbackes
I have owned more cars than most. Of all of the cars I have owned far and away the most reliable are Fords. The Mustang has been built by the same people in the same factory for years. It's a fine product.

I think that 100,000 is a lot of miles for any car. Also the longer a car has been in service the more opportunities that someone or something was screwed up at some point. You should not expect to get more than 125,000 miles out of any car before things start going bad.

Another thing to check would be how happy are people that are in the service department of any car you purchase. Go sit at the deanship in the waiting area first thing in the morning and see how the dealer treats its customers.

Some things to check… Open the hood and rub your had along the edge of the sides. If it's rough the car has probably been repainted. Get underneath the car and look for signs of parts that are in just too good a shape. There should be a nice coating of crude by now, if not something was replaced and you'll want to know why. Ask for service records if they are available. Check the expiration date of the tires. Check the color of the oil on the Engine and Transmission (if automatic). It should not smell burnt. Buying used cars can be a real crapshoot. Pick a good dealer anytime over a good deal.

Good luck… Enjoy college, after that, it's work, work, work for 40+ years
Thanks. That's great advice. The Lexus is past 100k miles, and this particular one is more damaged than normal.

I'm going to take your advice about picking a good dealer rather than a good deal. The Mustang dealership seem honest, while the ones selling me the IS have been nothing but deceiving.

When I took the IS for inspection, they told me the airbag was deployed and it' shock system needs replacing (an $2.4k estimate). Both things the dealer failed to tell me.

The Mustang is Ford certified and has a whole year of warranty left. Plus free road assistance. Plus 3 year power train warranty.

Unless I can find a clean Lexus with the same price range, I fear I'll be getting the Mustang.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 250 or Ford Mustang V6