IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got my first new set of tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport )

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 11:26 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Got my first new set of tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport )

Got my first set of tires which is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I got it from Tirerack.com which worked out to be a lot cheaper than getting it from my local Michelin dealership here.

I bought it mainly for good ride quality , decent handling , less tire noise and good tread life. Do you guy's think I made the right choice ? Does anyone else here have any experience with these tires ?

I don't track day my car , just highway cruise to office and occasional local trips to compete in 2IS photo challenges.

Got my first new set of tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport )-new-received-tires-1.jpg

Got my first new set of tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport )-new-received-tires-2.jpg

Last edited by stanjohn12; 07-24-13 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 07-24-13, 12:39 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

You can't go wrong with those puppies. Are they on the wheels yet?
Old 07-24-13, 12:43 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

really you think they are decent? I thought this one of Michellins top of the line tires for the max performance summer tires?

I haven't but looking into it. I know of friends that have had it on their cars and have nothing but praises for these.
Old 07-24-13, 01:07 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
You can't go wrong with those puppies. Are they on the wheels yet?
No, they are not on the wheels yet. I still have my stock Bridgestone Potenza's. It's ripping slowly each month. If I peel back a small part of the rubber pretty hard in the rear tire ,slight metal fiber is exposed. Guess I can run another 10,000 Km's on it, or maybe I'm just too optimistic .

Originally Posted by azfsprt
really you think they are decent? I thought this one of Michellins top of the line tires for the max performance summer tires?

I haven't but looking into it. I know of friends that have had it on their cars and have nothing but praises for these.
I think they are good for normal use , but if we use it for track day , they get eaten up pretty quick as per some reviews that I read.

These tires are a bit expensive , the first option that I wanted to buy was the Bridgestone Pole position S04 , they were cheaper, but the problem was that they didn't come with ECE codes , hence they could have been rejected by customs. Since it was my first purchase didn't want to take that risk.
Old 07-24-13, 06:07 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best ultra performance tire out there. Not the best for ride quality or road noise though. But you will love it because of its performance outweigh those ride quality, i think.

BTW, if your stock tires are peeling off like you said, please please change them out before they will blow out on you.
Old 07-24-13, 07:31 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

+1 on them having a bumpy ride. I've been on these for almost a year now and they handle amazingly and handle small to medium bumps well. However, big bumps send jolts through the suspension. I'm actually wishing I went with Continental DW instead because of this. That said i'm sure you'll love the way they take corners and since you are on 17's maybe it wont be as harsh for you.
Old 07-24-13, 07:35 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Got a set of 2 of them myself to install once I finally get some wheels. Best all-around performance tire money can buy.
Old 07-25-13, 08:00 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
+1 on them having a bumpy ride. I've been on these for almost a year now and they handle amazingly and handle small to medium bumps well. However, big bumps send jolts through the suspension. I'm actually wishing I went with Continental DW instead because of this. That said i'm sure you'll love the way they take corners and since you are on 17's maybe it wont be as harsh for you.
Continental DW's are pretty bad handling wise, they actually make your car sway , its that bad. Not my experience but read many reviews
Old 07-25-13, 11:07 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my Michelin PSS
Old 07-25-13, 12:18 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Yep, at 200 a tire its not a bad deal to pick these up! I have a set, just installed last month and I love them. My local tire shop had them in stock at the same price as tire rack so I was lucky enough to save on shipping
Old 07-25-13, 12:25 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Nice tires. But I wonder if you don't drive them hard, can you still tell the difference. It is strictly speaking from "performance per dollars" point of view.
Old 07-25-13, 12:26 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are probably the best all around summer tires you can get (all around as in road + track)
Old 07-26-13, 06:53 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
If I peel back a small part of the rubber pretty hard in the rear tire ,slight metal fiber is exposed. Guess I can run another 10,000 Km's on it, or maybe I'm just too optimistic .
if you can see the belt, that is dangerous. That point automatically becomes the weakest point on the tire so if there is any unusual stress on it (like you hit a big pothole or make an emergency maneuver), then that is the spot the tire will blow.

You have the tires already so why take the chance, put them on now and sell the non-ripped tires that still have some life in them.

It's just not worth it to endanger yourself and others to potentially get an extra 6 months of use from that tire.
Old 07-26-13, 09:52 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

They're Michelins bro.. nuff said.. they're a high quality performance tire!
Old 07-28-13, 09:40 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dong888
Nice tires. But I wonder if you don't drive them hard, can you still tell the difference. It is strictly speaking from "performance per dollars" point of view.
Will keep you updated once I install them. I will be comparing it with the stock Potenza RE050, they lasted me 53,000 Km and counting , handling wise these tires were good but got noisy towards the end of their life. I hope PSS can last longer for my kind of driving , considering Potenza's lasted this long.

Originally Posted by embolism
if you can see the belt, that is dangerous. That point automatically becomes the weakest point on the tire so if there is any unusual stress on it (like you hit a big pothole or make an emergency maneuver), then that is the spot the tire will blow.

You have the tires already so why take the chance, put them on now and sell the non-ripped tires that still have some life in them.

It's just not worth it to endanger yourself and others to potentially get an extra 6 months of use from that tire.
Noted. Will change them soon.