IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is 250 oil filter dillema

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 07:46 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just use a big heavy adjustable wrench, kind of like the ones you would use for plumbing, the weight and length will give you enough leverage.
Old 07-22-13, 10:06 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90rr
I should listen your advice
Got wrench and after first try this happened :
You've got to be kidding me. Did you use a the open end of the wrench or an adjustable wrench? This is the prime example of noobs trying to work on cars and when they fail they blame it on anything other than themselves. I've used the aftermarket version of the TOY640 as well as the OEM Lexus oil filter wrench sold on Sewell and they both worked great, just like they were designed. I have never encountered any problems with them. They are the metal ones though, can't say much about the plastic cap ones, they look too flimsy for my liking.
Old 07-22-13, 10:20 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by B16da9
Save your money and dont buy the OEM wrench or any wrench from any where else but the one bellow. I purchased this one recently and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221175691417#ht_1914wt_1170
This one looks real nice. I might have to get one.
Old 07-22-13, 11:22 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this tool.. work like charm..
Attached Thumbnails Is 250 oil filter dillema-kgrhqn-p0fcy7gy-7bq90mm8-wq-60_35.jpg  
Old 07-23-13, 06:31 AM
90rr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by topspeed55
You've got to be kidding me. Did you use a the open end of the wrench or an adjustable wrench? This is the prime example of noobs trying to work on cars and when they fail they blame it on anything other than themselves. I've used the aftermarket version of the TOY640 as well as the OEM Lexus oil filter wrench sold on Sewell and they both worked great, just like they were designed. I have never encountered any problems with them. They are the metal ones though, can't say much about the plastic cap ones, they look too flimsy for my liking.
I don't blame this on anybody. I have been doing brakes, oil change etc. on my bmw for long time. This is a first time that I attempted lexus. Wrench itself feels light and looks that is made from some aluminium compound. I used open end wrench that had a very tight (perfect) fit. And thing snapped like it's made from plastic.
Old 07-23-13, 07:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive used that same type of filter wrench but used channel locks to engage it. Works fine for me.
Old 07-23-13, 07:48 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You should just try turning by hand that what I do must of the time. When the engine been running for awhile it should losing up. After a few turn it should be easy. Just wear some good gloves.
Old 07-24-13, 10:29 AM
90rr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
You should just try turning by hand that what I do must of the time. When the engine been running for awhile it should losing up. After a few turn it should be easy. Just wear some good gloves.
tried turning by hand. wont budge.
Old 07-24-13, 05:10 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Why are you using a wrench to twist that? You need a ratchet for that buddy.
Old 07-30-13, 06:21 AM
90rr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maniacbob
Why are you using a wrench to twist that? You need a ratchet for that buddy.
It drives me crazy... tried a ratchet and did nothing. It's like glued
Old 07-30-13, 06:31 AM
LateNyta
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 64mm Filter Wrench at Autozone and it fit like a glove, you won't strip anything there. You'll need some muscle to get it out the first time, use your leg to push against a metal part and pull the handle with both hands...it'll come out. To change the filter without having too much oil gush out, just up the passenger side as high as you can and support it. The filter area will tilt backwards a little and not all oil will come out. I would not leave that filter in there for another 5K miles like someone suggested it. It's a few bucks, and it'll be in the back of your head the entire time and make you uncomfortable. Just change it and oil more oil in.
Old 08-08-13, 09:22 AM
90rr
Driver School Candidate

I got a bigger wrench. I'm 6'5 220lbs guy... Pulled so much that car almost fell from stands. It wont budge. She's driving around 150miles every day and miles are piling up. Any Ideas what else to do?
Old 08-08-13, 09:59 AM
An2ny
Driver

1) Spray a lot of PB Blaster and let it sit, in fact spray it every day before you attempt to try it again.
2) Use the longest tool/ wrench and attach an even longer pipe if you have one. It should come off with the first few attempts; you should not keep trying with small tools as you could damage the casing.
3) If this does not work, get a small torch and apply heat and let it cool a couple of times, try it again.
4) Hit it with a rubber mallet a couple of times (don’t go crazy) try it again.
5) Just double check and make sure that you are going in the correct direction and you are not tightening the filter.

6) If nothing works, you may have to take it somewhere, and use air tools with more torque to loosen it up.
Old 08-08-13, 10:03 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I had that same issue for wife's Acura... I ended up over-tightening the oil filter. Then screw myself on the next oil change. I couldn't remove no matter how hard I tried.

You can try spraying liquid wrench/ WD40 and let it seap into the seams. Leave over night and hopefully this would help.

I endedup taking the Acura to the dealer and paid for an oil change. Requested them not to over-tighten the filter. Next oil change was a peice of cake.

I would take a hit and bring the Lexus to a Toyota dealer (cheaper) for the oil change, and ask them not to over-tighten the filter. Next time, it should be easier.
Old 08-08-13, 10:15 AM
topspeed55
Driver

Originally Posted by 90rr
I got a bigger wrench. I'm 6'5 220lbs guy... Pulled so much that car almost fell from stands. It wont budge. She's driving around 150miles every day and miles are piling up. Any Ideas what else to do?
Okay again if your car is almost falling off the stands you are doing something wrong, it takes A LOT for a car to fall off the jack stands. Are you on a flat surface with your rear tires locked and using the 4-legged stands? STOP using a wrench, use a socket and breaker bar.

Quick Reply: Is 250 oil filter dillema