IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally lowered! Favorite mod so far.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 06:30 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Very nicely done, man. I really like it. I think a lot of people go too far with drops, but yours looks great. And the paint looks ridiculously wet and shiny.
Thanks! I love the height I have it at now, but I think a lot of people can pull off the slammed look if that is what they are going for... just not my style.

Originally Posted by karasha
Zach, it looks good!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SCWB
Hi Zach. Paint surface on your car is amazing!

Did you remove the texture on the surface of clearcoat? I can't see it on your car. Factory paint always has that kind of texture--kind of very small ripple or wave.
^ I assume you are referring to orange peel. The orange peel on Lexus paint (from the few cars that I have worked on, including my own) is very minimal compared to many other OEMs. Usually, paint will need to be wet sanded, compounded, and polished to remove orange peel... when I purchased my car about a year ago, I did a full paint correction including compounding (Using Meguiar's M105 via Orange Light Cutting Pad, but only in certain areas with heavier defects) and polishing (with Meguiar's M205 via Black Finishing Pad). This was done to remove the swirls and scratches that accumulate over time due mostly to improper washing and drying. Removing these defects greatly restores clarity and gloss to the paint, and will often leave it looking better than it did when it was brand new. Check out Post #26 in this thread to see what I am talking about.

Let me know if you've got any more questions!
Old 04-22-13, 08:17 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, looks like brand new car! amazing job

i'll def let you know if i have time to detail in the future thanks!
Old 04-22-13, 08:19 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hella clean! can't wait to order my megan coilovers and lower it !!!!
Old 04-22-13, 08:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Clean and simple. How it should come from the factory
Old 04-22-13, 10:00 PM
Envy
Driver School Candidate

Congrats man, the car looks great with that drop. I hated the stock wheels on the 09 10 models but with the drop they look great. I sent you pm on some detailing questions.
Old 04-23-13, 03:09 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Thanks! I love the height I have it at now, but I think a lot of people can pull off the slammed look if that is what they are going for... just not my style.

Thanks!

^ I assume you are referring to orange peel. The orange peel on Lexus paint (from the few cars that I have worked on, including my own) is very minimal compared to many other OEMs. Usually, paint will need to be wet sanded, compounded, and polished to remove orange peel... when I purchased my car about a year ago, I did a full paint correction including compounding (Using Meguiar's M105 via Orange Light Cutting Pad, but only in certain areas with heavier defects) and polishing (with Meguiar's M205 via Black Finishing Pad). This was done to remove the swirls and scratches that accumulate over time due mostly to improper washing and drying. Removing these defects greatly restores clarity and gloss to the paint, and will often leave it looking better than it did when it was brand new. Check out Post #26 in this thread to see what I am talking about.

Let me know if you've got any more questions!
Thanks for explanation. You referred to "Orange Light Cutting Pad" What brand of pad did you use?

Yess, I agreed. After the correction, your paint look more brilliant than the new car.
Old 04-23-13, 06:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by SCWB
Thanks for explanation. You referred to "Orange Light Cutting Pad" What brand of pad did you use?

Yess, I agreed. After the correction, your paint look more brilliant than the new car.
I use Lake Country foam pads
Old 04-23-13, 12:15 PM
JoeSupra
Rookie

Looks great man. I need to drop mine asap.
Old 04-23-13, 01:08 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by JoeSupra
Looks great man. I need to drop mine asap.
Yeah, I will agree with most others on here... it is one of the best "bang for your buck" visual mods you can do to the car, and with several coilover options for under/around $1000 it is a no brainer.
Old 04-23-13, 01:22 PM
SirKnight
Rookie

Question How did you choose your coil-overs?

Yeah, I will agree with most others on here... it is one of the best "bang for your buck" visual mods you can do to the car, and with several coilover options for under/around $1000 it is a no brainer.
Very nice mod and thanks for the link for the proper way to wash a car!

So far I have two mods on my IS350C: 3" antenna and window tint.

I am looking at coil-overs for my 3rd mod to my car and BC coil-overs are high on my list but I also have been looking at the Megan's.

What made you decide to go with the megan brand?

I believe these are the only two products that will work on my 2011 IS350C:

http://www.meganracing.com/product.a...d=401&catid=30

or

http://www.circuitmotorsports.net/bc.../i-532673.aspx
Old 04-23-13, 01:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I went with Megan because they are one of the most popular choices among the 2IS crowd and have a great reputation for "OEM like" ride quality - which is what I really wanted.
Old 04-23-13, 02:13 PM
JoeSupra
Rookie

Where did you order these? Im tryin to figure out the best places people order there parts from for these cars. Also any more input on the ride of the car? I deciding on BCR's or these EZ's.
Old 04-23-13, 02:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I picked mine up from a CL member gently used.. check the Vendor Section, there are several vendors who sell both of these coilovers.

The megan EZ's ride very similar to stock... I can tell they are stiffer when I am cornering, but for street use, they are very nice - not "harsh" like a race spec coil would be.
Old 04-23-13, 02:45 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Zach even with the 0.5" raise the car looks great man. Glad you are enjoying the suspension.
Old 04-23-13, 02:49 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Perfect drop. Your paint is so shiny

Quick Reply: Finally lowered! Favorite mod so far.