IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 Trunk Lift Supports

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 08:17 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not just reverse the process. I would install the front side (left in this picture) of the strut first.

remove both rubber stoppers so you can connect the other end. They just snap into the nipple. No need to pry the clip open.

without removing the rubber stopper, you will have a real hard time compressing the lift support.

Then just put the liner back on. And you're done.

Last edited by usna2011; 06-22-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 08:38 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Job took about 30-45 min. With these instructions it should be a 20 min job. No time wasted figuring out how to take things apart with out breaking or deforming anything. I bought the lift supports from the eBay site stated in previous post. They seem to work great. Initially after the install they were making some sort of rubbing noise and I was like WTF not cool. But after opening and closing it about 20 times it has gone away. Posting a video as soon as I can.
Old 06-22-15, 08:54 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

The following users liked this post:
Quadrphnia (09-01-17)
Old 06-22-15, 08:58 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Here is that vibrating noise I was talking about. You can hear it when I first open the trunk and once more when I move the trunk up and down several times. It seems to be gone now. Just move the trunk up and down about 20 times and it should go away.
Old 06-23-15, 12:44 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Didn't remove the rubber bump stops during my install. Oh well. I'm still enjoying mine working quite well. And yes, there will be some "break-in" period on these things; so expect odd noises from the beginning. But it should go away in time.
Old 07-01-15, 05:37 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Default Sticky trunk weather strip.

I think I have narrowed it down to really hot days. Some times I try and open the trunk and it requires a lot of upward force just to get it to open an inch. On a normal day the trunk opens a bit because of the new lift supports. But on those hot days I have to pry that thing open initially. And I can hear what seems to be the weather strip sticking/ pealing of the trunk lip. Any suggestions on how to treat the rubber or do I just need to replace it?
The reason I ask is because I recently replaced the lock mechanism and not sure if this caused it to fail or the old lift supports or both. Don't want to spend another $200 fixing the lock mechanism. Thanks.
Old 07-01-15, 02:00 PM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Did that noise ever go away for you? Do you recommend getting those ebay struts over genuine OEM?
Old 07-06-15, 10:36 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the noise went away. I think in the two weeks that I've had them, it maybe did it once after I open and closed it like 20 times in a row to break them in. For the price, yes I would go with these. You can buy 4 sets of these with the price of the OEM set ones. I do OEM when I can but there are some thing I just won't pay up for. This is one of them. Ride comfort, performance and the overall car reliability won't be affected by this part.
Old 07-06-15, 03:59 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for the detail diy and tips. It took me about 10 minutes to complete swap. The trunk does not open more than a few inches with the new struts but It doesn't slam down so hard anymore (which is what I am after). Let's see how long they will last.
Old 07-07-15, 12:07 PM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

You're welcome, I too hoped the trunk would open automatically all the way, but as long as I can remember my trunk has only opened a few inches. I bought my IS used. It was 3 yrs old when I got it. I too just wanted knew ones to stop the trunk from slamming. The company has a lifetime warranty. This is what their website says. So save your receipt.

"Lift Supports for the Hood, Trunk, Hatch, Liftgate or Tailgate: Are covered with a Limited Lifetime warranty . Provided your original purchase was for a pair (unless your application only uses 1 lift support)These must be installed in the intended vehicle and the unit stops working properly or to your satisfaction."

http://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/warranty
Old 07-08-15, 04:36 PM
bhg
2nd gear

Default Can't believe how easy that was

The pictures and the captions made it so easy. The only thing I would add is to have someone around to hold the trunk open after you remove the lifts. The trunk came slamming down on my back about 2 inches away from my spine. I'm an idiot so I didn't think about that happening. And there are plenty of other idiots trying to fix things themselves.
Old 07-09-15, 01:13 AM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

Yeah thanks for the videos and pictures and captions. I changed lift support out today and had a buddy of mine helped. My buddy that helped me had the trunk slammed on his shoulder as I was taking one of the lift support off. So before careful and make sure who ever is helping pay attention. Aside from that I love that my trunk don't slam anymore. Its a bit noisy opening and closing but I suspect that will go away overtime.
Old 07-09-15, 05:22 AM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Default One person job.

I did this by myself. I removed and installed one support at a time. The other support should hold the trunk open. Unless it's compleatly shot.

Yes the noise and vibrations go away with in 20-30 opening and closings
Old 05-10-17, 12:33 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, what about the actual opening of the trunk now with the new supports installed. Does it now pop open at least a little like even a 1000 dollar Ford Fiesta does? Was it even supposed to? That's the real question because my car is only 6 years old and the trunk already doesn't open even a little bit by itself and that's hard to believe as I have 10 year old cars that still do. I don't want to replace all of this stuff if it never helps the situation.

Last edited by Buddiiee; 05-10-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 02:18 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Ok, what about the actual opening of the trunk now with the new supports installed. Does it now pop open at least a little like event a 1000 dollar Ford Fiesta does? Was it even supposed to? That's the real question because my car is only 6 years old and the trunk already doesn't open even a little bit by itself and that's hard to believe as I have 10 year old cars that still do. I don't want to replace all of this stuff if it never helps the situation.
Even with new trunk struts it didn't pop open any more than my worn ones. The magic happens after you lift the trunk; with the new ones, it'll lift itself instead of helping it along.

Quick Reply: IS 250 Trunk Lift Supports