IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Officially rubbed through my fender liners

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 07:04 AM
blackgpgt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably run the most aggressive wheel/ tire setup on the 2is awd. I have 20/35 up front and 20/30 in the rear. Fronts are 9 and rears are 10.5 ..Also lowered on BC racing coilovers. The rears are easy..Just get them rolled. Fronts are the problem with the bracket that hold the bumper to the fender. Ive redriled new holes so they are still held together and shaved off as much as possible off that bracket and metal tab that we all have rubbing issues with....STILL RUBS.. So the only other way to fix this is start moving the coilovers up. Or get those ugly tabs that hold the bumper to the fender on the outside of the fender and bumper..If anyone else has a better idea please let me know because I have spent countless hours and time into trying to find a permanent fix and have hit brick walls in trying to do so

Last edited by blackgpgt; 07-01-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 11:48 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blackgpgt
I probably run the most aggressive wheel/ tire setup on the 2is awd. I have 20/235 up front and 20/230 in the rear. Fronts are 9 and rears are 10.5 ..Also lowered on BC racing coilovers. The rears are easy..Just get them rolled. Fronts are the problem with the bracket that hold the bumper to the fender. Ive redriled new holes so they are still held together and shaved off as much as possible off that bracket and metal tab that we all have rubbing issues with....STILL RUBS.. So the only other way to fix this is start moving the coilovers up. Or get those ugly tabs that hold the bumper to the fender on the outside of the fender and bumper..If anyone else has a better idea please let me know because I have spent countless hours and time into trying to find a permanent fix and have hit brick walls in trying to do so
I agree... im not really down with the idea of those tabs on the outside of the bumper but at this point that seems to be the only solution
Old 09-20-13, 01:45 PM
badIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my opinion on the rubbing issue. First of all I was slammed and my front tires was getting chewed up by the fender tab that connects to the front bumper! Got tired of my brand new tires getting chewed up so I went ahead and bought the sickspeed front bumper quick release! Finally I went ahead and cut off the metal tab and the plastic tab from where the fender and bumper meets and bolts on! Installed the quick release bumper and woollaa! No more rubbing at all!

Old 09-20-13, 08:17 PM
Fanel
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tion-help.html

this post earlier this week has an awesome DIY on the tab, worth looking at.
Old 09-20-13, 11:19 PM
AZGHOST
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badIS350
Here is my opinion on the rubbing issue. First of all I was slammed and my front tires was getting chewed up by the fender tab that connects to the front bumper! Got tired of my brand new tires getting chewed up so I went ahead and bought the sickspeed front bumper quick release! Finally I went ahead and cut off the metal tab and the plastic tab from where the fender and bumper meets and bolts on! Installed the quick release bumper and woollaa! No more rubbing at all!
I was thinking about doing exactly that this weekend because my tires are rubbin the bumper tabs on really hard on dips.. I HATE that sound... is it pretty simple to put on and does it work well? I really want to pull the trigger on these but need more info on it..
Old 09-23-13, 05:05 AM
badIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZGHOST
I was thinking about doing exactly that this weekend because my tires are rubbin the bumper tabs on really hard on dips.. I HATE that sound... is it pretty simple to put on and does it work well? I really want to pull the trigger on these but need more info on it..
Works like a charm! Was able to lower it even more without the rubbibg
Old 09-23-13, 01:08 PM
AZGHOST
Driver

Works like a charm! Was able to lower it even more without the rubbibg
Are u on 18s or 19s
Old 09-24-13, 12:22 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

It seems like this is the only way to truly fix the problem, I've completely trimmed my liner (and by trim I mean hacked most of it off) relocated, then used a grinder to grind down the tab and all metal parts as far back as they could go. I barely rub, but when I go up steep driveways or ramps at an angle, and the wheel stuffs itself against the bumper it shreds my tire and makes a horrid sound and feels like the car is shuttering (which it is because its trying to push the tire against whatever its stuck on). So I came to the conclusion that I need to run 30 sidewalls up front and stretch a bit so it sucks the sidewalls in as well. Otherwise just have to live with the problem or swap to the quick release.
Old 09-30-13, 09:05 AM
badIS350
Driver School Candidate

Are u on 18s or 19s
19's

By all means cut tabs flush with fender and bumper! Leave it flat!
Old 09-30-13, 03:28 PM
AZGHOST
Driver

Final question for you... are u running an aftermarket front camber kit?
Old 09-30-13, 11:55 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of great info here!
Old 10-07-13, 07:18 AM
badIS350
Driver School Candidate

Final question for you... are u running an aftermarket front camber kit?
Sorry for the late notice! But no I'm not running no cambers back or front.!