IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why am I losing air in my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 12:09 PM
Seadaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is happening to me. Front passenger tire loses about 5 or so pounds a week. Thing is I just got back from the dealer today to have them check it out and they can't find anything wrong with the tire. They even sprayed it with soapy water to find any leaks from the stem or rim, etc. What they did tell me was they could try removing the tire from the rim, but since the rims are in such good shape and the tires are newer, they really don't know what's wrong. So before having them do that and possibly finding nothing, is there anything Other than the obvious that could cause this to happen?
Old 01-15-16, 12:35 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bent/cracked rim or the tire bead has been compromised. Did they spray the areas where the tire and rim meet or insided the barrels?
Old 01-15-16, 03:52 PM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they check for a valve stem/core leak with the soapy water? Might not be tight or have a bad seal.
Old 01-15-16, 09:07 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadaddy
This is happening to me. Front passenger tire loses about 5 or so pounds a week. Thing is I just got back from the dealer today to have them check it out and they can't find anything wrong with the tire. They even sprayed it with soapy water to find any leaks from the stem or rim, etc. What they did tell me was they could try removing the tire from the rim, but since the rims are in such good shape and the tires are newer, they really don't know what's wrong. So before having them do that and possibly finding nothing, is there anything Other than the obvious that could cause this to happen?
When that happened to me , my wheel had a slight crack in it that wasn't visible until the tire was taken off. Had to order a replacement wheel and ride around on the ugly spare tire that Lexus cursed us with... those were dark times. I had hit a huge pothole that popped my tire about 2 weeks prior. Stupid Fog was crazy thick where I worked so I couldn't avoid it by the time I saw it
Old 01-16-16, 12:49 PM
Seadaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...the dealer said they did use the soapy water test. Not sure how they did it. I might need to have the tires removed from the rims to find the problem. I'm trying to avoid that since I would hate to pay for the work and find nothing or find I need new tires anyway. Then have to pay for the new tires and work again. By the way I checked the tire pressure again today and it was down one pound from yesterday when I checked it. The car was not driven at all, just sitting in the garage overnight. Two of the remaining tires were down half a pound.
Old 01-16-16, 02:17 PM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to a local tire shop. Have them inflate the tire to max air pressure. Remove the wheel/tire from the car, take the valve cap off. Put the assembly in their water tub. That's the only true way to check especially for a slow leak. This method will check wheel, tire, valve stem, and contact to the bead. Removing the tire from the wheel will not be effective in locating a slow leak. If you find a wheel problem there are ways to repair it as opposed to buying a new one.