Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Locking Lug Nuts Or Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 05:32 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Lug Nuts Or Not

So im getting ready to throw on my new kicks. I already purchased and received my Muteki SR48 Extended Lug Nuts (Pic Below) but I didnt purchase any locks for them.... My reasioning is if someone comes to steal my wheels and wants them bad enough and I have a lock on it they will get them. No thief will comeup with just one locking key he will have a whole set of keys for all different kinds of locks....am I close minded to think like this?
I already test fitted my lug nuts on my wheels and they are fully exposed which I like now the locking nut has a different and I think it would throw off my clean look im going for.

I would like everyones advise as to which route I should go...locking or non locking. Here are some pics of the lug nuts I got and the locking nut

Thanks in advance guys
Attached Thumbnails Locking Lug Nuts Or Not-mut-32901t-6.jpg   Locking Lug Nuts Or Not-sr48.jpg  
Old 11-13-12, 05:44 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Its true that if someone wants your wheels bad enough, they will be able to steal it. Same goes for anything tho.

I got the locks because its less likely that some random person will try and take your wheels than a "professional" thief. Besides they were only about $30 so it wasnt a big deal to me.

Also, I cant even tell that the lock looks different than the lugs unless Im looking at my wheel up close.

Take a look:

Old 11-13-12, 05:46 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Bob my nuts still sit out further than than but i get what your saying....the $$ isnt an issue for me
Old 11-13-12, 06:01 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

How do yours sit out further? I have those same lugs
Old 11-13-12, 06:35 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I got bags so people couldnt get a jack under my car to steal my wheels.

Seriously though, i prefer locking lugs just because it will make a thief take an extra ~5 minutes to get them off. Hopefully thats a time difference he isnt willing to risk or in that time someone will spot/stop him. At home i park in my garage though so no worries, but i had a lug jacked downtown on my old set of wheels so it was a bit of a wake up call that people do mess with your car :/
Old 11-13-12, 08:03 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bob4256
How do yours sit out further? I have those same lugs
Bob the "seat" in which my lugnuts sit in my rims isnt as deep as yours. I have more of a concave wheel and the lugnut sticks out more.

Originally Posted by heyarms
I got bags so people couldnt get a jack under my car to steal my wheels.

Seriously though, i prefer locking lugs just because it will make a thief take an extra ~5 minutes to get them off. Hopefully thats a time difference he isnt willing to risk or in that time someone will spot/stop him. At home i park in my garage though so no worries, but i had a lug jacked downtown on my old set of wheels so it was a bit of a wake up call that people do mess with your car :/

Haha but if superman comes to steal your rims he will just lift the car...wait he can just take the whole care and go lol...

I see what your saying even though its not 100% secure it still a deterient.
Old 11-13-12, 09:02 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Did you ever reveal what wheels you got? I read more concave and that peaked my interest lol
Old 11-13-12, 09:07 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

definnitely get lock lugs!

if i was to pick up even 1k wheels, i'd have 5 different locks for my wheels. not gonna risk getting them jacked.
Old 11-13-12, 09:32 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
definnitely get lock lugs!

if i was to pick up even 1k wheels, i'd have 5 different locks for my wheels. not gonna risk getting them jacked.
I was REALLY considering doing this. It would be a nightmare to figure out which key goes with which lock lol
Old 11-13-12, 10:11 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Kumar let me tell u a from experience..get locks! Back in april i got home late from the gym and was lazy to park in the garage. Big mistake bc the next morning i woke up to see my car sitting on a scissor jack and a spare tire! In September when i stayed over at my friends place in chicago for 2 nights he had no garage. Guess what? At about 4am i got up to take a **** and 2 punk kids were struggling to get my wheels off bc i had locks on it. I had my friend call the cops while i went outside with my pistol and held them at gun poib t til the cops arrived. Like everyone else said if they want ur wheels bad enough they will get it locks or not. But the locks will slow them down a lot.
Old 11-13-12, 10:21 AM
AnthonyGS3
Driver School Candidate

I have 2 different typs of lug locks on my wheels... im pretty sure nobody can get mine off... I did have an incident when I lost the lug "key" they had to freeze them off... was not cheap!
Old 11-13-12, 11:33 AM
saxqtzk
Rookie

I agree with bob4256, if they want your wheels bad they'll get them off more than likely by taking the car.

What's a little more $ for locks when you spend this much on the wheels?
Old 11-13-12, 11:42 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Kumar let me tell u a from experience..get locks! Back in april i got home late from the gym and was lazy to park in the garage. Big mistake bc the next morning i woke up to see my car sitting on a scissor jack and a spare tire! In September when i stayed over at my friends place in chicago for 2 nights he had no garage. Guess what? At about 4am i got up to take a **** and 2 punk kids were struggling to get my wheels off bc i had locks on it. I had my friend call the cops while i went outside with my pistol and held them at gun poib t til the cops arrived. Like everyone else said if they want ur wheels bad enough they will get it locks or not. But the locks will slow them down a lot.
sounds scary. be safe out there!
Old 11-13-12, 12:34 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Throw them off good, get 4 different types of locking lug nuts for each hub! LOL!
Old 11-13-12, 12:37 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Really up to you if u wanna spend the extra Money. I have Rays lug nuts which do come with one locking nut for each wheel. But someone can easily get off any brand lug nuts in a few minutes. My insurance covers my aftermarket wheels so I'm not worried about it.

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nuts Or Not