Scratched front bumper :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 12:33 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I like the picture RDIS250AWD

Can be a bit closer such that you have like 1/2 foot from the curb.

My point of reference is, if you cannot see the curb behind your driver's side mirror, it means you are close (stop!!). This mainly works for a straight one. If it's diagonal such that the the curb side closets is on the passenger side, then you need to be very careful going in.
haha I always pull in just enough that the rear is inside the line.
Old 10-21-12, 12:34 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
Yea that part you can replace with a gfx front lip. I'd still try touch up paint
Yeah thought so, but where can I buy one already painted, and preferably in Canada? I searched on eBay already and all the lips are just primed. And should I go to the dealer for the paint?
Old 10-21-12, 12:35 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by veejaay24
Yeah thought so, but where can I buy one already painted, and preferably in Canada? I searched on eBay already and all the lips are just primed. And should I go to the dealer for the paint?
noo!! find an independent shop that will paint for you. all lips come primed. a lip should be able to cover that up no problems
Old 10-21-12, 12:36 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its gonna be hard to find one color and location specific but try checking http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ shipping might be a lot though.
Old 10-21-12, 12:37 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
I like the picture RDIS250AWD

Can be a bit closer such that you have like 1/2 foot from the curb.

My point of reference is, if you cannot see the curb behind your driver's side mirror, it means you are close (stop!!). This mainly works for a straight one. If it's diagonal such that the the curb side closets is on the passenger side, then you need to be very careful going in.
That's a great tip, thanks lol! I always used the logo on my old benz for that. I'm still getting used to the car.
Old 10-21-12, 12:39 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
noo!! find an independent shop that will paint for you. all lips come primed. a lip should be able to cover that up no problems
Lool I was referring to the touch up paint, mybad. But yeah my other concern was painting the lip. I'm trying as hard as I can to keep costs at a minimum and I imagine painting the lip would cost around $150?
Old 10-21-12, 12:48 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Its gonna be hard to find one color and location specific but try checking http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ shipping might be a lot though.
Thanks for the link. Checked it out, $200 plus shipping to Canada and taxes. And it doesn't mention whether its painted or not. Looks like $400 to me
Old 10-21-12, 12:50 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Just buy touch up paint may not be perfect but will look better then how it is now.
Old 10-21-12, 12:51 PM
veejaay24
Driver School Candidate

Just buy touch up paint may not be perfect but will look better then how it is now.
Yeah I was just going to say. I'll get a proper kit later on. Do you know where I should buy the paint?

Edit: Nvm, I'll get some off of eBay, unless the dealership has it for a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by veejaay24; 10-21-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 12:55 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

If those scratches where under the car, I wouldn't be too worried about them; that's because I accidentally rubbed my lower lip with the curb when I was parking straight in and I never did that again after that.

I think the best option is touch up paint like everyone is saying, save replacing the GFX lip for when the lip on your car it's seen better days.
Old 10-21-12, 06:12 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
welcome to the club man.
From now on always make sure u park like this

Hahaha....Very nice and clear parking instruction. I like it.

One question, how do you determine the distance while you sitting/driving your car??
Old 10-21-12, 06:27 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SCWB
Hahaha....Very nice and clear parking instruction. I like it.

One question, how do you determine the distance while you sitting/driving your car??
well I've been parking like this for so long its just natural but basically if I'm unsure I pull in slowly and I always look at the cars next to me and make sure my mirrors are a little further back from them.Most ppl are right up on the curb or very close so thats a good way to gauge your distance
Old 10-24-12, 08:57 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
haha I always pull in just enough that the rear is inside the line.
The only problem I see with that if that if the line is a bit long that it looks weird with it so far back from the curb. Another problem is the other person backing away or coming out from across if they go too much and hit your car (well that shouldn't happen), but the being more in could potentially save that.
Old 10-24-12, 10:08 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Honestly, I scratched my front bumper enough time and I got it painted twice already, I got tired of getting it repainted so I just decided to wrap it in some CF vinyl. It's pretty easy to do, just remove the front lip(assuming you have the stock front lip) wash it and wrap it. Takes you like an hour or two for the entire process.
Old 10-26-12, 12:26 PM
apdimitri
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISmak4
Honestly, I scratched my front bumper enough time and I got it painted twice already, I got tired of getting it repainted so I just decided to wrap it in some CF vinyl. It's pretty easy to do, just remove the front lip(assuming you have the stock front lip) wash it and wrap it. Takes you like an hour or two for the entire process.
Where did you get the CF vinyl? How do you wrap it? Does it just stick on its own?

Quick Reply: Scratched front bumper :(