IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unbelievable Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-20, 02:46 PM
rubian2012
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unbelievable Mileage

My 2006 IS250 AWD which has been driven only 75,000 KM mileage is 10.07 MPG. What do you think and what could be the reason(s) and how to improve this horrible mileage?
For example, I filled the tank (17.1 gallons, 64.73 L) and it only driven 277 km (172 miles) to empty tank.
Thank you!
Old 12-27-20, 03:11 PM
VapeDude
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My IS350 runs on a full tank about 190miles. But I live in the Dominican Republic where is HOT and you get a lot of traffic jams. You should be seeing something a little better
Old 12-27-20, 05:56 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by rubian2012
My 2006 IS250 AWD which has been driven only 75,000 KM mileage is 10.07 MPG. What do you think and what could be the reason(s) and how to improve this horrible mileage?
For example, I filled the tank (17.1 gallons, 64.73 L) and it only driven 277 km (172 miles) to empty tank.
Thank you!

Whaaaa?
IIRC, the tank is 17.1 gallons total. The light comes on once 14 are gone...

What maintenance items have been done in the last 30kms? I suspect few.

Start w the standard items:
Tire pressure
Oil change
Air filter
MAF sensor cleaning
Spark plugs
Fuel cleaner

List CEL codes present and all work done...
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (12-27-20)
Old 12-28-20, 09:14 AM
rubian2012
Rookie

Thanks 2013FSport.
No codes, spark plugs never been changed (car has only 75,000 km (~47,000 miles). most of that mileage on highways. Maint is all done on time. I just recently used Techron, will see what is the effect. MAF never been cleaned.Everything is OK. I'm very disappointed, Lexus lies about mileage (other auto makers do that too). This car is well taken care of and I'm the only driver of it since purchased new.
Old 12-28-20, 09:59 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

My 350 consistently get 21/22 mpg in mixed use of city / highway. On road trips, typically 24/25.

That said, getting 10 means something is really wrong... How long has it been this way? I would almost think the CATs would plug and maybe they have which would compromise MPGs a lot too.

Other than plugs to see the health of the engine as far as carbon build up goes, you need to get Torque Pro or OBD Fusion and look at the vital signs like short and long term fuel trims, ignition advance and stuff like that.

Do tell, did you take the miles traveled from ODO and gallons used from the pump or let the car make the calculations?

FWIW I've never put more than 15 gallons in mine so running it completely empty means you could have sucked up debris inside the pump and filter...

We need a lot more information to solve this.
ncatona (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 11:05 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Take the car for a real hard run. Hit red line. Few times. It may just be gummed up. Let her rip The ole Italian tuneup works wonders on city cars that sit in stop and go traffic.
Old 12-28-20, 12:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I'm currently getting between 17.5 mpg and 27 mpg on my 2010 IS350 Sport, and I have the 3.5L V6. On a full tank on trips I've gone over 300 miles with a 1/4 tank left stopping for a fill-up. There is definitely some issue, as others have stated maybe carbon buildup. Try a fuel injector cleaner such as Chevron Techron, I'll usually use a bottle around every oil change
Old 12-28-20, 04:46 PM
rubian2012
Rookie

Thanks all for your input. I did the calcs based on the fuel I pumped into the car and trip mileage. The funny thing is the car shows no symptoms of malfunctioning. I thought of carbon build up and I added about a bottle of Chevron Techron to a 14 gal of Shell V-Power (prem. 91).
I thought the plugs don't need to be replaced with 48,000 miles = what do you think?
I have the Mini VCI/Techstream and I did full diagnosis on the 27 ecus multiple times and no codes appeared.
As far as short/long fuel trims, does techstream do it? If yes I can try doing that myself.
Regarding debris/residue getting into fuel filter/filter, I would think if something like that happens it'd show on the car - unless I'm wrong.
I gate going to the dealerships who think of nothing but emptying my wallet, they also don't give a loaner vehicle.
Old 12-28-20, 09:54 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

It’s odd that the car isn’t giving you a code as that’s a drastic drop in mileage. How good of a scan tool are you using?

things that won’t throw a code are a neighborhood gas thief or a fuel leak like a tank puncture.

have you pulled a plug or two to see how it’s burning?
Old 12-29-20, 08:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by winterturb
It’s odd that the car isn’t giving you a code as that’s a drastic drop in mileage. How good of a scan tool are you using?

things that won’t throw a code are a neighborhood gas thief or a fuel leak like a tank puncture.

have you pulled a plug or two to see how it’s burning?

As I was the 3rd owner of the 350 at 51,000 miles, I replaced the plugs at 53,000 just to inspect their condition and see how well the engine is burning, if it shows signs of oil consumption.
5 of the 6 plugs show a good clean burn. I suggest you pull them, inspect, and replace them.

Number them and arrange them so the business end is in focus like this... Notice #5 has some deposits, the others a clean burn.

As for fuel thieves and gas leaks - possible and good points.
Old 12-29-20, 09:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
As I was the 3rd owner of the 350 at 51,000 miles, I replaced the plugs at 53,000 just to inspect their condition and see how well the engine is burning, if it shows signs of oil consumption.
5 of the 6 plugs show a good clean burn. I suggest you pull them, inspect, and replace them.

Number them and arrange them so the business end is in focus like this... Notice #5 has some deposits, the others a clean burn.

As for fuel thieves and gas leaks - possible and good points.
You need to floor her more, get #5 nice and clean!
Old 12-29-20, 09:36 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You need to floor her more, get #5 nice and clean!
That was 3 years, 50k miles ago. I pulled it weeks after install (1000 miles), and it was clean. Flogging them does not harm them unless they've missed oil changes and/or proper maintenance. She's at 105k now and doesn't burn a drop...
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (12-29-20), ncatona (12-31-20)
Old 12-29-20, 10:02 AM
rubian2012
Rookie

Thanks guys for your valued input; I greatly appreciate it.
This past summer I asked a certified shop to check the plugs, so they pulled the easiest one (don't know exactly its location) they told me it's dirty. They gave me a quote for $1000, Irridium. I decided not to do the job. Here in Alberta auto shops charge as much as dealerships do - with the only advantage which is they're quick and the big disadvantage is workmanship is horrible. There're guys who immigrate to Canada specifically to open auto shops and make them auto "rips/cons" I took one of my vehicles to a shop to check something, they made floor mat very heavily soiled with oil/grease with their dirty boots, when I asked why is this, the owner said his mechanics are not that careful!. One time I talked to a shop owner about the fact that here in Canada shops gouge customers while in the US they don't, he said in the US they get a lot of cheap manpower.

If there's any leak I would know that. I thought about it and I have always checked for any gas smell and leaks on the floor. I noticed the small of the exhaust and I think it's not fully combusted.
Like I said above, I use Mini VCI/Toyota Techstream Ver. 14. Does any one know if it can be used to diagnose fuel trims?
Several years ago, when the car was still under warranty, I took it to the dealership and asked them about the poor mileage, the CLAIMED they checked it and found no code.
I think I should change the plugs and see. May be because the car is not driven hard for almost 4 years and the terrible freezing weather here in Alberta, a lot of carbon deposited in car system.
How often do I need to add the Chevron Techron (Chevron 65740 Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, 20 Oz = $31.5)?
Happy holidays guys, sorry, I almost forgot that because of the gas "thief" I am dealing with
ncatona (12-31-20)
Old 12-29-20, 11:53 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rubian2012
Thanks guys for your valued input; I greatly appreciate it.
This past summer I asked a certified shop to check the plugs, so they pulled the easiest one (don't know exactly its location) they told me it's dirty. They gave me a quote for $1000, Irridium. I decided not to do the job. Here in Alberta auto shops charge as much as dealerships do - with the only advantage which is they're quick and the big disadvantage is workmanship is horrible. There're guys who immigrate to Canada specifically to open auto shops and make them auto "rips/cons" I took one of my vehicles to a shop to check something, they made floor mat very heavily soiled with oil/grease with their dirty boots, when I asked why is this, the owner said his mechanics are not that careful!. One time I talked to a shop owner about the fact that here in Canada shops gouge customers while in the US they don't, he said in the US they get a lot of cheap manpower.

If there's any leak I would know that. I thought about it and I have always checked for any gas smell and leaks on the floor. I noticed the small of the exhaust and I think it's not fully combusted.
Like I said above, I use Mini VCI/Toyota Techstream Ver. 14. Does any one know if it can be used to diagnose fuel trims?
Several years ago, when the car was still under warranty, I took it to the dealership and asked them about the poor mileage, the CLAIMED they checked it and found no code.
I think I should change the plugs and see. May be because the car is not driven hard for almost 4 years and the terrible freezing weather here in Alberta, a lot of carbon deposited in car system.
How often do I need to add the Chevron Techron (Chevron 65740 Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, 20 Oz = $31.5)?
Happy holidays guys, sorry, I almost forgot that because of the gas "thief" I am dealing with

If it does a bunch of short trips in cold weather and never gets opened up, i.e. pull from say 2nd gear, 3rd gear to redline, or held at 4k pulling a long hill, they can easily get loaded up in the intake. If you have a warm sheltered place, read up, you can do the plugs yourself for the cost of the plugs. It doesn't take a lot of tools.

Based on this info, I would run two treatments of Yamaha Ring Free Plus through it, followed by an oil change and replace the plugs. The product was designed for 2 and 4 stroke marine engines but works well on autos too. It can be found at several places... Give it try...
AMIRZA786 (12-29-20)
Old 12-29-20, 05:47 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

That’s likely the issue. Winter driving where you never get above 60 kph. Get that IS out on a hwy and open it up for an hour. Drive it at the speed limit and then floor it once in a while. If you have a follower you will see a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust. These cars need to be pushes now and again a small I bet yours in no exception.

I bought a 2010 for my son. It was sluggish until we spent 2 hours in the hwy freeing up the engine. Ram beautifully after. Also. Run premium theory it a time or two. If the car sits a lot the OH in the fuels attracts water and gums up your fuel system. Go string the car out and I bet it solves all your troubles. Better yet. Toss in some ring free (any Yamaha motorcycle shop will have it) and then string it out, and report back the results.

as for changing the plugs $1000 is a rip off. Took me only an hour to do and I’m no whiz mechanic. Plugs will cost $30 each but labour should be no more than $200 at any reputable shop.
ncatona (12-31-20)

Quick Reply: Unbelievable Mileage