IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 03:02 PM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ nice I didn't realize there was an issue and it was covered with the 350s?
Old 09-23-13, 03:27 PM
lex2nv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1Clean06IS
^ nice I didn't realize there was an issue and it was covered with the 350s?
Yes sir, The is350 is also covered under the Campaign.
Old 09-25-13, 12:45 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

So apparently, there's a way/machine for the dealership to do something to the car and force it to throw up the codes needed for Lexus Corp. to approve the CSP. Got this straight from my service advisor when I brought in my car for an oil change and checkup yesterday since my car's been burning oil like no other and been experiencing the shuttering problems even after a engine clean. Sadly, mine didn't give anything up since I drive my car hard enough to burn off most of the carbon. 90% of the time he said it works... guess I'll be driving like a granny till my next oil change!
Old 09-25-13, 01:14 PM
buckeye101
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Late to the game here..... I have a 2007 IS250 AWD with almost 65k on it. I've had a strong "shiver" when I sit at stop lights for years now, but it only happens maybe once a week. Never had any warning lights. I get 25mpg overall (50/50 driving), and I can easily get 30-32 on freeway trips. Always used high octane fuel. QUESTION: should I be concerned?
Old 09-30-13, 07:09 AM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

I was experiencing the same "shiver" at around 60,000 miles (2007 IS250). By the time I got to 65,000 I had the car fail twice -- all the lights (engine, VSC, traction, "!") and almost total power loss (top speed about 15MPH). Apparently the "code dumping" is part of the problem but Lexus won't admit to this. Oil burning (1 qt. per 2500 miles) started around the same time, and engine now runs rough at acceleration, periodic rough idle, and MPG down to 21 average. So, yes –*be concerned. Report it right away, as I understand an initial complaint must be filed within 70,000 miles. Lexus corporate told me that they couldn't help because my car presented with NO CODES stored. Even though all the symptoms match, they told me they can't stand behind the car's performance without reading those codes in the car's computer.
Old 09-30-13, 07:18 AM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

If you're lucky, your car's onboard computer has stored the event and corresponding trouble codes. If not, you're on your own, as am I. I was told that even a snapshot of your lit-up dashboard won''t help unless those codes have been recorded. Your symptoms are exactly like mine, indicating the engine recall problem. Unfortunately, Lexus will NOT authorize the engine rebuild without the engine problem codes from your computer -- this is the policy of Lexus Corporate. Hard line stance, perhaps understandable since this is a $3000 repair, I hear. Good luck -- they left me swinging.'
Old 10-15-13, 09:03 AM
gerlachnes
Driver School Candidate

I just took my 2007 IS250 with 57k miles on it to the dealership after only experiencing a few small vibrations. I wouldn't even call it a shudder because it was so slight. I only had the check engine/vsc lights come on once after an oil change, at about 50k miles, but they turned off by themselves and the car has been running fine ever since. As of right now, the dealership has been able to confirm the carbon issue and is contacting corporate for approval. To be honest, I'm surprised they could simulate the problem considering how slight the symptoms were, but I'm certainly not complaining.
Old 10-15-13, 09:56 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex2nv
I just dropped my car off 2006 is350, at the Fresno dealership. they said it take take up to 2 week for the work to be completed.
They gave me a 2013 RX450h as loaner.
As for the symptoms i was getting was that i had to put in a quart of oil ever 2,500 miles maybe more than a quart.. i did also notice a bit of a rough idol, My car has 155k on it.
i will be sure to post my results after i get it back.
So far the Service Employee Frank is awesome, really professional, kind, relaxed and always has a smile on his face. so when i get my car back i plan to buy him a beer.

Thanks -Danny
Is there any documentation where it states the is350 is covered. I'm loosing a lot more oil than a quart and was under the impression it's normal. I've checked for leaks and everything is clean. This might be the only other explanation.

I'd like to bring this to the dealers attention as I have a 2006 is350 with 130k miles
Old 11-08-13, 09:48 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Fiance bought her 08 IS250 to Longo earlier this week for the wiper nut recall. Fiance mentioned about the rough idle. Longo took a day or two to look at it and got the approval to swap out the pistons. Nice! Her car has 54-55k miles on it, it's her DD but she's said she experiences the rough idle every now and then.

Now we get to keep the '14 IS250 loaner car for a bit longer!
Old 11-09-13, 07:12 AM
Numbahz
Driver

Default New Engine :) !!!

So I now have 123k on my 07' IS 250, I too also drive alot . For the past year or so I have been complaining about this rough idle at lights everytime I bring it in for service since I was in warranty and they found no issues, well now I am well past my orginal warranty and well past the extended one I purschased and it still was happening. I was very persistant about telling them about this issue and that it is documented so when **** hits the fan , they have notes. I recently needed a new alternator not thriilled the dealership charging me 800ish for the parts, belt & labor but it wasnt far off from quotes from mechanic shops plus I get a loaner for the time, during that process they kept my car for tests 3 weeks later I get it back sit down with the service advisor who showed me they billed out a entirely new engine to Lexus due to issue with misfire codes he wouldnt tell me it was a tsb or any recall. I looked throu what I could under the hood and yes.. its brand new, lexus dealership billed out $5315 for this labor & engine. Also alot of other mandatory work done with this I'd assume or they just took care of me (ie. alignment, balancing , oil changes). So far there have been a few little issues but nothing the dealership or lexus has not taken care of, I am pleasantly suprised at how far they have gone to ensure customer service. So end story I have gotten nearly $12000 worth of warranty work $2000 out of pocket (battery,alternator, brakes, other little things) for a car with 123k miles and one that is surely going to last for another 100k++ w/out any major issues. Very Pleased !!
Old 11-11-13, 11:49 AM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

You're lucky. To date, I have had no correspondence from Lexus Corp or my dealer regarding the recall. I have had my car in on 2 separate occasions exhibiting ALL the symptoms plus the warning lights (check engine, VSC, traction, general alert), but with NO codes recorded during either incident. Both times the car lost power, barely making 25 mph on a level grade. I found out about the carbon build-up issue via the Lexus Forum and my service rep confirmed (on condition of anonymity) that they have had multiple incidents of Carbon Build-up at the dealership. I also found out from the rep that it could cost up to $5,000 and that Lexus is discouraging cooperation with customers regarding the issue unless the codes are present. I spoke with Lexus Corporate, who confirmed NO warranty work would be done unless the vehicle computer recorded the codes. Doesn't sound like the same Lexus I've been dealing with. Currently (and this is part of the piston issue) my car burns about 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles (they tell me this is normal for a Lexus IS250 with 71,000 miles), runs and idles rough. My main complaint is that I brought the car in twice (before 70,000 miles), even spoke directly with a service advisor from Lexus Corporate, and still have not received satisfaction. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but this one's starting to smell like one.
Old 11-11-13, 04:54 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What type of oil they will use for my 06 250 after CSP 5W-30 or 0W-20?
Old 11-11-13, 08:13 PM
texans1fan
Driver School Candidate

My sons '06 IS250 had the loss of power issue, VSC and Check Engine lights came on and the code recorded in the the computer was P0300 - random misfire. I took car into the dealership and they said they submitted information twice to Lexus for repair and they denied it twice. So now I have to pay for the engine diagnostic fee and nothing is being done. There is an obvious problem, his exhaust tips are black on the inside and he cleans them weekly. Only burns 93 octane gas from Shell or Chevron. Car has 146,000 miles. So should I go to another Lexus dealership? I would hate to have to pay a $130 diagnostic fee everytime it throws a code and then Lexus does nothing about it.
Old 11-11-13, 11:30 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk720
What type of oil they will use for my 06 250 after CSP 5W-30 or 0W-20?
I'm still using 5W-30 after the CSP has been done on my car and it's been running great.
Old 11-12-13, 03:37 PM
Letxen3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teejnut
Fiance bought her 08 IS250 to Longo earlier this week for the wiper nut recall. Fiance mentioned about the rough idle. Longo took a day or two to look at it and got the approval to swap out the pistons. Nice! Her car has 54-55k miles on it, it's her DD but she's said she experiences the rough idle every now and then.

Now we get to keep the '14 IS250 loaner car for a bit longer!
you and me are almost in same boat. my wife complained that when she made a u turn in her 2008 IS250 the car would not go, she would just hear the engine rev. she had to turn it off and on again to get it to move. luckly there was no cars behind her when this happened. the dealer did their test and i too am getting the piston swap. her car has 58k miles on it also.

too bad we didnt get a 2014 for loaner ;-)

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP