Stupidity at the Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 02:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
sounds like a horrible dealership
A bad dealership but not for the reason you all think it is. They goofed up the spoiler installation and to make it right they would order a new trunk. But the owner whined that that wasn't good enough so what does the dealer do, he uses his new car stock as a parts bin to fix a customers car. I do not want to work with a dealer who is willilng to cannibalize his new car stock to fix someones car. So what does the eventual customer of the cannibalized car get, he gets a car that is not new, and I guarantee you he will not be told about it. Somehow the OP and all you peeps think this is 'okey dokey' as long as he got his way. Accidents happen and you have every right for them to make it right, but it is unreasonable to expect the dealer would go out to his new car inventory and take a part off. So now the whole dealership has a cloud over it since they don't seem to care about the cars they sell. I would not deal with this dealer for that simple reason. And to the OP, what happened to your car before you bought it, maybe a dealer somewhere took parts off your car for another customer. Now you never will know if your car was really 'new' or not.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-16-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 02:49 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What dealership are you dealing with?
Old 07-16-12, 02:50 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
A bad dealership but not for the reason you all think it is. They goofed up the spoiler installation and to make it right they would order a new trunk. But the owner whined that that wasn't good enough so what does the dealer do, he uses his new car stock as a parts bin to fix a customers car. I do not want to work with a dealer who is willilng to cannibalize his new car stock to fix someones car. So what does the eventual customer of the cannibalized car get, he gets a car that is not new, and I guarantee you he will not be told about it. Somehow the OP and all you peeps think this is 'okey dokey' as long as he got his way. Accidents happen and you have every right for them to make it right, but it is unreasonable to expect the dealer would go out to his new car inventory and take a part off. So now the whole dealership has a cloud over it since they don't seem to care about the cars they sell. I would not deal with this dealer for that simple reason. And to the OP, what happened to your car before you bought it, maybe a dealer somewhere took parts off your car for another customer. Now you never will know if your car was really 'new' or not.
Agreed. I would of settled for repaint and some diminished value. But that's just me.
Old 07-16-12, 02:59 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't they come with factory painted? I would settle for new factory painted part, not sure about repaint. I thought the getting a part from a new car is kinda weird ... can they legally do that? Unless it would be a courtesy car maybe.

I think OP wanting to upgrade is not unreasonable since the car is quite new.
Old 07-16-12, 03:05 PM
TFD99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership and the service managers have been great, it was the installers that have been terrible. As for the dealership taking a trunk and now a bumper off a new car from his stock, I agree this is wrong and I think it is wrong to sell a new car with replaced parts. I feel sorry for the person who purchases that car. I feel since the car was only 3 days old they should have just exchanged it for another car and sold mine as a demo or offered some kind or rebate or refund. As for "whining" I feel that is a little harsh, I just simply expressed how disappointed and upset I was since the car was only 3 days old when this happened. The car cost me $58000 after tax and I have already spent an additional $6500 more on dealer add on's since then. I simply stated if I had know the spoiler was installed wrong and was going to lift before I picked the car up I wouldn't have bought the car. But seeing as I notice it a week after taking it home, refusing delivery wasn't an option.

Last edited by TFD99; 07-16-12 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 03:22 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TFD99
The dealership and the service managers have been great, it was the installers that have been terrible. As for the dealership taking a trunk and now a bumper off a new car from his stock, I agree this is wrong and I think it is wrong to sell a new car with replaced parts. I feel sorry for the person who purchases that car. I feel since the car was only 3 days old they should have just exchanged it for another car and sold mine as a demo. As for "whining" I feel that is a little harsh, I just simply expressed how disappointed and upset I was since the car was only 3 days old when this happened. The car cost me $58000 after tax and I have already spent an additional $6500 more on dealer add on's since then. I simply stated if I had know the spoiler was installed wrong and was going to lift before I picked the car up I wouldn't have bought the car. But seeing as I notice it a week after taking it home, refusing delivery wasn't an option.
Perhaps whining was too strong a word, and I understand your frustration when they messed up your car, but life doesn't always go well. I had one friend who drove off the lot with his brand new car and at the first stoplight some guy t-boned him, he didn't even get five minutes with his new car. Stuff happens. At least a trunk repaint is easy to blend in because it is a horizontal surface. Most dealers are afraid of getting bad reviews with a new customer and they try to resolve the situation so he is satisfied, but in this case it creates another issue for someone else. Some years ago BMW got into trouble when they weren't telling customers when panels had been repainted after it left the factory and before delivery. (Google BMW v. Gore for the details). You would be surprised how many cars are jacked up in transit and require some cosmetic work in the prep shop before they are sold. Hope you get your situation sorted out to your satisfaction.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-16-12 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 03:44 PM
TFD99
Rookie

I hope so too. I have offered to pay the difference in upgrading to a 350 so they don't lose on both ends and get some money out of the deal. They can sell my car as a demo with 2000km and charge me for a 350. I agree that things happen that's why I didn't get to upset when they said they were going to repaint the trunk. I figured that if I told them my concerns maybe they would offer a rebate on some more F-sport accessories. It was the manager that offered to replace the trunk with a new one. I too am wondering if that is even legal.It wasn't until the installers scratched the bumper replacing the trunk that did it for me. Who knows maybe they won't replace the car after all but offer something else. I can only wait and see.
Old 07-16-12, 03:52 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Agreed. I would of settled for repaint and some diminished value. But that's just me.
Me too....granted the dealership "promised" I would not be able to tell the difference. I guess I'm more about giving the benefit of the doubt rather than "expecting" them to cater to me (1 of 1000s of their customers) .
Old 07-16-12, 04:46 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
sounds like a horrible dealership
Wow! Horrible? A mechanic puts a scratch on a car and the dealership is bending over backwards to make it right and you claim that is "horrible"? Honestly, if it wasn't a Lexus dealer, I'd like to see you get that kind of service anywhere else. They don't have to replace the car. They could easily just repaint the bumper and call it a day. Yes, they'd likely lose a repeat customer but that's their call. Yes, the misdrilled hole and the scratch are bad but that could happen any where, any time. Wouldn't be a first. The fact they replaced the trunk lid with a new trunk off another car is top notch. I'd love to see a picture of the scratch to see how serious it really was. This almost sounds like buyers remorse and an excuse to get a nicer car. Just saying...
Old 07-16-12, 04:55 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Good Luck with that bro hope everything works our for you
Old 07-16-12, 05:05 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet they just repainted and told him it was a new trunk. Otherwise they really did bend over backwards to please u i wish my dealer was as nice...
Old 07-16-12, 05:09 PM
TFD99
Rookie

The dealership and my salesman have been top notch. Yes, they don't have to do anything but did where another car manufacturer would have done nothing so Lexus has definitely out done dealerships I have been too in the past. Yes they replaced the trunk which I didn't expect and yes the scratch is bad enough where the manager said they would have to replace the bumper and no I don't have buyers remorse and want a nicer car. I love my 250, that's why I added all the f-sport accessories. If the dealership decides just to repaint everything then I will accept their decision with no problems but will definitely have my service done elsewhere in the future. I don't want to deal with damages done to my car every time I take it in.
Old 07-16-12, 07:49 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Don't they come with factory painted? I would settle for new factory painted part, not sure about repaint. I thought the getting a part from a new car is kinda weird ... can they legally do that? Unless it would be a courtesy car maybe.

I think OP wanting to upgrade is not unreasonable since the car is quite new.
For one thing, the bumper's do not come factory painted in North America. The only way to get them is order from Lexus Japan.

As for the trunk, not sure if they do come factory painted from Lexus Japan, Jeff Lange may know better.
------------------

As for the car, why AWD? If you get RWD, then you get the real deal and sporty performance and not the 4x4 status.

If you still want AWD; tell them to order the color you want, they can order it if it's not available in the area.

Last edited by Sango; 07-16-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 07:57 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't blame u man. It's not everyday u buy a brand new car so you definitely should not have these things happen especially at a Lexus dealership. However that dealer is pretty messed up if they wanna take parts off another car.

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 07-16-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 08:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

If you're spending $58K plus on this vehicle, why not just buy a 2013 GS350 and call it done.. IMO the GS is A lot nicer car, Then a vehicle that been out since 2006 just my 2 cents thats going to get revamped pretty soon. You will end up with an older body style

Quick Reply: Stupidity at the Dealership