IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 is250 reliablility

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 08:23 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 is250 reliablility

Have a question for all you is250 fans. So, lately ive been reading on other forums and random places aboout people blasting the 2006 is250...........its unreliable.........this breaks.......that breaks...blah blah blah. I bought an EXTREMELY well maintained 2006is250 with 71k on it. It was 100% maintained by Lexus and had 1 owner. Even the wiper blades were replaced by Lexus. i have had only one issue and Lexus fixed it 100% with no cost to me.........is there anything i should know about these cars............?
Old 07-10-12, 08:34 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

i think the main issue with the 250 is carbon build up..although not all of 250 has that problem, there's quite a few members doesn't have this problem. other than that, there's a member here that his 250 reached 250k + miles before the transimission act up...remember its a TOYOTA..
Old 07-10-12, 08:36 AM
Cobra19
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 IS250. Thank God I bought a precertified one. Numerous electrical problems which were all fixed by the dealer at no cost. My driver side head light dimmed one day but now is normal. The dealer said it's not under warranty and the bulb would probably die in a few months.

So far the drivetrain is smooth with no issues. I think your car will be just fine.
Old 07-10-12, 08:36 AM
Natash2008
Driver School Candidate

I have an '08 IS250, second owner, all dealer maintained just like yours, with 68k on it. In the past 7 months, I had to get a recall done on my engine, and the camshaft gears needed to be replaced. Then I started to see the low engine oil light, brought it in, they tested it for LEAKS but not burning (which you think they would after all of these consistent problems across the IS250 fleet)...so I brought it in again and now of course they say the rings are bad, and they will also replace the pistons due to the carbon buildup service bulletin. I have 2k left in my warrant and don't want bandaid repairs done to my engine. I've been going back and forth with the dealership and corporate telling them I want a short block. You should take your car back in asap if you have 71k on it, they may still check your engine and cover it under warranty.

Also, my radio broke but they are replacing it for free since I have all of these engine issues.

Does anyone have ANY advice to give me if they come back and say NO to the short block?
Old 07-10-12, 08:38 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

See.....THATS WHAT I THINK! i am really confused when i see these select reviews becasue and the end of the day, these are Toyotas. Even the parts say Toyota. I do have little rattles here and there, but all my toyotas have had that and every car at some point will. Thats just the truth. As far as carbon build up, is there anything i can do to prevent it?
Old 07-10-12, 08:41 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

i have had 0 electrical issues. The most i have had was a bushing in the steering was worn, so they replaced that. Thats all. Everyting else is awesome. I just see these horror stories and wonder if i am next....................
Old 07-10-12, 08:43 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing about dedicated internet forums is that they attract the minority of owners. Of the ones they attract, the majority found them doing a Google search for a particular issue they had or are having. The math doesn't work out in the favor of the majority that is not having any issues.

From I can surmise reading all the threads here, the Lexus IS250, pre-2010 versions has some issues with carbon build up and piston rings wear that causes oil consumption. One may be related to the other, who knows. These usually occor within the drive train warranty period, but there has been instances where it either occured after, or the symptoms were ignored/not reported and the warranty expired.

The carbon build up is common with all DI engines, and can be prevented to some extent, but the procedure itself is not intended to be used until after it occurs and Lexus doesn't advocate that officially. The piston ring failure has a TSB associated with it, and every occurance I have read included the mention of carbon build up at the same time.

Aside from these, nothing more so than any other car out there, and in my opinion, probably better than the majority of cars out there.
Old 07-10-12, 08:43 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

and i purchased a full warranty up until 112k on it.
Old 07-10-12, 08:47 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

it just really pisses me off, because i see these select reviews ..............and go...........really??? cuz i love this car alot and as of right now have nothing to complain about..its been exactly what i thought it would be.
Old 07-10-12, 08:47 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvicious
See.....THATS WHAT I THINK! i am really confused when i see these select reviews becasue and the end of the day, these are Toyotas. Even the parts say Toyota. I do have little rattles here and there, but all my toyotas have had that and every car at some point will. Thats just the truth. As far as carbon build up, is there anything i can do to prevent it?
like what i've mentioned above, not all 250 has them...for instance, i bought my car brand new and i have 112k miles on it. no carbon build up issue.. yet..(i hope not in the future)... i've change the spark plug on 70K miles including flush the radiator and change the differential fluid..other than that same old regular maintanance ...make sure once in a while do WOT to ease on this issue..gluck and enjoy ur 250..
Old 07-10-12, 08:48 AM
Natash2008
Driver School Candidate

Nothing you can do about the buildup- it is KNOWN problem and there has been a service bulletin issued for it, which means they need to replace the pistons on mine (not just the rings). I'd take it in and tell them you're experiencing rough idle so they are forced to go inside your engine and fix it.
Old 07-10-12, 08:57 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

what is WOT?
Old 07-10-12, 08:59 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

thanks for your help guys......i apprecite it. Just had a minor freak out from reading all the other random Google freak reviews.
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is WOT?
Wide Open Throttle, as in pedal to the metal, gas it to the max, floor it, drive it like you stole it.
nastyemu
Driver

what is WOT?
wide open throttle

Quick Reply: 2006 is250 reliablility