IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

20k Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 10:15 AM
chase350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get a is350 over a is250 u get 100 more hp and better brakes. the mpg is just a little less. everybody has a wald kit. played out!
Old 07-08-12, 10:45 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by heyimraven
how could someone tell that they're replicas?
i don't really know much about the kits since this would be the first IS and first car with an actual kit that i get.
Authentic have an the Wald logo embossed each piece as well as a stamp of authenticity on the backside of them. They don't seem to be real on this one from what I see.

Originally Posted by chase350
i would get a is350 over a is250 u get 100 more hp and better brakes. the mpg is just a little less. everybody has a wald kit. played out!
Wald may be outplayed in Cali but there are VERY few in Texas.

I've heard Texas direct does sell trashed cars, but there's not much that could be wrong withnthese cars besides visual flaws. Check to see if it's had any carbon build up taken care of at a dealership, I believe you would be past the warranty mark to get it taken care of it does have that issue. Otherwise, check for wrecks and if all is clear, looks like a good deal. Has exhaust too.
Old 07-08-12, 11:18 AM
udithadj
Driver School Candidate

I was about to buy an 2008 IS350 lux with Nav and ML with 37k miles back in Nov 2011 for 22k from a "Honda" dealer but gave up because they gave only 90 day warranty.
Old 07-08-12, 11:21 AM
heyimraven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chase350
i was actually looking for an IS350 but once i saw this one, i was thinking i might as well.

Originally Posted by heyarms
Authentic have an the Wald logo embossed each piece as well as a stamp of authenticity on the backside of them. They don't seem to be real on this one from what I see.

Wald may be outplayed in Cali but there are VERY few in Texas.

I've heard Texas direct does sell trashed cars, but there's not much that could be wrong withnthese cars besides visual flaws. Check to see if it's had any carbon build up taken care of at a dealership, I believe you would be past the warranty mark to get it taken care of it does have that issue. Otherwise, check for wrecks and if all is clear, looks like a good deal. Has exhaust too.
oh ok i see . thanks for the info btw.

BTW how much lower you guys think i could bargain for this car?
Old 07-08-12, 11:37 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Dont buy this cause it has a kit on the car already. I would go a find a clean stock IS350 for that price and youll be much more happier after you driver it.
@ udithadj if you bought the car from the honda dealer it was still under factory warranty cause it 4yr or 50k. Which in 11 is only 3yrs old.
Old 07-08-12, 11:55 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, if you're set on this particular color scheme and options I think it's a great buy especially if the kit is authentic. The price is fine IMO if you add some terms to the sale, like decarbonize (as that's a known issue in these models) and whatever the next big service is.
Old 07-08-12, 02:11 PM
kwikshift
Rookie

IMHO I think u could probably get a better deal. Skip the AWD unless you are thinking of moving where there's snow in the winters.
Old 07-08-12, 07:03 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heyimraven
why is that?
6 months ago walked into the dealership they treated me very poorly, sec their photo on a car did not match up, in some of te picture the car had spoiler and in some it didnt, promise to fix stuff that you point out but never get it done when it comes to picking the car up
Old 07-08-12, 07:11 PM
udithadj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
Dont buy this cause it has a kit on the car already. I would go a find a clean stock IS350 for that price and youll be much more happier after you driver it.
@ udithadj if you bought the car from the honda dealer it was still under factory warranty cause it 4yr or 50k. Which in 11 is only 3yrs old.
@laobo979: oh well.. my wife didn't like it either, ended up buying a CPO 2008 is350 had 13500 miles with nav no ML . got the 3 yr/100,000mile warranty, but didn't buy the 6 yr 125,000 warranty which was $2,500. Is it possible to add warranty later ?
Old 07-08-12, 07:17 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Alway be careful of buying a car with all these previous MODS. When looking for a used car, you want the one that has never been tinkered with, but has been maintained and serviced.

This is personal opinion, search for a 1 owner car, clean CarFax, and one that has never been touched with MODS.

You don't know what else they attempted to "upgrade" on that car that was removed.
Old 07-08-12, 08:03 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Alway be careful of buying a car with all these previous MODS. When looking for a used car, you want the one that has never been tinkered with, but has been maintained and serviced.

This is personal opinion, search for a 1 owner car, clean CarFax, and one that has never been touched with MODS.

You don't know what else they attempted to "upgrade" on that car that was removed.
Looking at the edges of the fenders, it looks like they were rolled to fit a bigger wheels/tires. The edges of the front and rear bumbers don't line up with the fenders either.
Old 07-08-12, 10:00 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too would look for a car that has not been modified yet. But for $20K, it's not the best or worst deal. I saw it on eBay a while ago and they had larger images and there was a Wald logo on the front and sideskirts. It might be an authentic kit though. The front looks much better than my replica front and the spoiler fitment is spot on. I bought my 07 IS350 almost two years ago for $20,300 but without navigation and with 49K miles. Haggle them down to $18K.

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Looking at the edges of the fenders, it looks like they were rolled to fit a bigger wheels/tires. The edges of the front and rear bumbers don't line up with the fenders either.
Doesn't look rolled or modified to me, they just stuck some black rubber or plastic pieces to protect the edges from chips or whatever.
Old 07-08-12, 11:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel

Sometimes you'll never even know. I've seen some pretty heavily modded cars go back to 100% stock and look like they just rolled off the showroom floor. No way you'd be able to tell it was heavily modded before unless you asked or knew the previous owner lol
Old 07-09-12, 02:27 AM
heyimraven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chi123
I too would look for a car that has not been modified yet. But for $20K, it's not the best or worst deal. I saw it on eBay a while ago and they had larger images and there was a Wald logo on the front and sideskirts. It might be an authentic kit though. The front looks much better than my replica front and the spoiler fitment is spot on. I bought my 07 IS350 almost two years ago for $20,300 but without navigation and with 49K miles. Haggle them down to $18K.

Doesn't look rolled or modified to me, they just stuck some black rubber or plastic pieces to protect the edges from chips or whatever.
i hope its actually the authentic kit . i might actually end up getting it if its still there in a few weeks. i just gotta save up to put some down on it. and if everything goes well, i'll end up lowering it cause it looks a little high even with the kit.