IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damaged Undercarriage how much to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 07:45 AM
LJimmy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Undercarriage how much to repair?

Hello all,

it was a bad day for my Lexus IS (2008) today. As i was on the on ramp for the highway in my city of san antonio i ran over a 4X4 2 foot long block with my lexus. It is a one lane on ramp and elevated and narrow at that. I couldn't dodge it, especially since there was traffic behind me. Only option was to run over it straight on so i didn't crash by it hitting my wheels. Sounded horrible but my front end aesthetically looks fine. Driving is normal. Only damage was the under carriage reenforced plastic that goes under the engine.

Any one know or have any opinions on how to fix this. Thanks!

Old 06-07-12, 09:14 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You mean the undercover piece?

Note: Mine has JDM underbody panels (like what they have in Japan) on so it will look diffent than yours and does not cover as much. Looks like this kind of plastic rite?

Old 06-07-12, 12:47 PM
baputsti
Driver School Candidate

You can buy an engine under cover for around $100 on ebay shipped to your door.
Old 06-07-12, 12:51 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummmm.... Just leave it as it is... Nobody will see that except the guy who changes the oil.
Old 06-07-12, 02:23 PM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prankster
Ummmm.... Just leave it as it is... Nobody will see that except the guy who changes the oil.
I agree. I had my plastic engine plate fall off my G35 on a road trip, drove 200 miles with it scrapping on the ground with only a couple bolts holding it to the car. Mechanic said its only purpose was prevent things from getting sucked up into the engine compartment and causing damage to the moving parts. He replaced the bolts for $10 and sent me on my way.
Old 06-07-12, 05:43 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will be fine with it as is, without it, or replacing it. the plastic under tray has multiple purposes.
it keeps road debris out of the engine bay (imagine a newspaper getting lodged next to your exhaust manifold & causing a fire.) it is also used for under car aerodynamics and more importantly engine cooling. the plastic tray has strategic vents/holes in it to allow the high pressure hot air to escape from the engine bay, into the low pressure zone that is under the car. without it, air would be entering from your grill as well as from under the car, causing a turbulent mess
Old 06-07-12, 06:00 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

It prevents water from splashing into the belts and engine compartment. It will not effect anything, you may hear more road noise but lots of people ride with out the under tray.
Old 06-07-12, 07:59 PM
LJimmy
Driver School Candidate

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the replies. I guess it will have to stay as is. thanks
Old 06-07-12, 08:22 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

The undertray does more than just stop water or debis from entering the engine bay. It effects downforce. Toyota put those there to create a flat floor that smoothes the airflow. Since the air under the car is smoother, thanks to the undertray, the air going around the top of car has to travel faster, pushing the car down.

You can run the car without the undertrays, but you might loose 1% ( my guess) aerodynamic efficiency and some high speed grip

EDIT: Thanks to Clubfoot for correcting my mistake. Smooth air flow under the care increases flow, creating a area of low pressure, and increases downflorce. .

Last edited by evogt500; 06-08-12 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ so still no big deal unless you're going for the land speed record at the Salt Flats.
Old 06-08-12, 07:01 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
^ so still no big deal unless you're going for the land speed record at the Salt Flats.
L M A O Without the under tray

Old 06-08-12, 06:54 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by evogt500
The undertray does more than just stop water or debis from entering the engine bay. It effects downforce. Toyota put those there to create a flat floor that smoothes the airflow. Since the air under the car is smoother, thanks to the undertray, the air going around the top of car has to travel faster, pushing the car down. The car acts like a upside-down airplane wing, if you can imagine it.

You can run the car without the undertrays, but you might loose 1% ( my guess) aerodynamic efficiency and some high speed grip.
This statement is incorrect! The faster air traveling over the car actually causes LIFT not downforce,...Bernoulli Principle. However, you are correct in that the very smooth under side especially with the JDM panels as on Sango's car will aid in smoothing the airflow under the IS. The car is not an upside down wing It is a right side up wing,...with the same inherent out come.
Old 06-08-12, 07:02 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Just reread my post. Sorry, my mistake, I meant the oppssite. Original post edited.

Last edited by evogt500; 06-08-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 01:35 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

It's all good,... :-)
Old 06-09-12, 05:54 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Like many said it is to keep debris away from the components. One of my friends rented a car for a road trip that did not have anything protecting that area and while we were in the middle of nowhere, well we ran over something that cut the radiator tube. We were unaware of this until the car overheated from lack of any coolant and would not restart even after the engine cooled down.

Quick Reply: Damaged Undercarriage how much to repair?