IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Someone hit and ran on my fairly new starfire pearl IS...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 11:40 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well if you're looking for looking for a factory painted bumper, you will need to import one from Lexus Japan, which there is one CL vendor which could do that. It will cost most but it will be perfect match since it's its painted from the factory, just like the car.

If you do not want to go this route, you could go with Sewell; keep in mind, it's not factory painted, it's done by a paint shop which is done by hand as the bumpers are actually come unpainted for Lexus North America while Lexus Japan comes painted and done by robot as I mentioned above.

Last edited by Sango; 04-30-12 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 11:48 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Well if you're looking for looking for a factory painted bumper, you will need to import one from Lexus Japan, which there is one CL vendor which could do that. It will cost most but it will be perfect match since it's being painted from the factory, just like the car.

If you do not want to go this route, you could go with Sewell; keep in mind, it's not factory painted, it's done by a paint shop which is done by hand as the bumpers are actually come unpainted for Lexus North America while Lexus Japan comes painted and done by robot as I mentioned above.
it wont be perfect match 100% regardless, paint on body is 4-6 years old and bumper is freshly painted. only way to be perfect match is to repaint the whole car
Old 05-01-12, 12:01 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rookieIS
it wont be perfect match 100% regardless, paint on body is 4-6 years old and bumper is freshly painted. only way to be perfect match is to repaint the whole car
Oh, I assumed it was a brand new car.

I'm saying it is perfect in a sense that the paint formula and how it was the parts are painted from Lexus Japan is essentially the same as how the car came out from the factory painted.

On a side note: My mom had her whole side driver side mirror assembly replaced on her 99 Camry replaced recently because some person decided to open the door when she was backing up as it was their fault because she was already backing up before they opened it. A new factory painted mirror assembly was put in place as it only comes factory painted because it is hard to paint it so there is no option to not come unpainted. As far as paint miss-match due to age, it looked pretty much the same with the new mirror there.
Old 05-01-12, 12:02 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, if you look really closely at your bumper and the body of the car the paint doesn't match anyway, the bumper is black plastic and the body is metal so~ even a brand new car the color is already off.
Old 05-01-12, 12:09 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Yes, true and I notice that too. As long as it's painted in the same way like the original, it would be closest than to have a paint shop painting by hand as they do not have the Lexus equipment and formula to paint it the same way as it came of the factory. This not factoring in that the paint thickness done by hand is inconsist as it will jumping all over the place throughout the part while comparing to factory, it is consistent.
Old 05-01-12, 02:53 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

ur car looks just like mines when i first got it. it actually had 2 nice long scratches right where you go hit. i got gfx lip and it cover that right up.same goes for u. way cheaper route then new bumper and it looks better with lip anyways.
Old 05-01-12, 10:53 AM
Hipp
Driver School Candidate

The paint on the car is actually extremely fresh, garage kept, really hasnt been driven much at all, I got caught in the rain when I was out the other night which is why it was dirty anyway and was a fine example of an IS. I'm just trying to keep it that way. I would love to keep the price down as much as possible, but I will not sacrifice the quality to do so. I'd love to just cover it up and make it go away, but I couldnt live with the fact that its still effed up underneath everything so regaurdless it has to get fixed. I'm members with several other forums and I've never had the willingness to help like the members of this forum, you guys are great
Old 05-01-12, 11:33 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Yeah that's what I was going to reply to sw2oboi about, but you pretty much said it yourself. One can cover it up, but it does not get rid of the fact that you know that its still damaged and therefore would prefer to have it replaced.

Hipp, think the factory painted option would be a choice?
Old 05-01-12, 11:42 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

on the bright side, that looks like a fairly minor damage and good a reputable body shop could fix that and paint match with no issues.

good luck
Old 05-01-12, 12:32 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

That sucks man. I've had that happen years ago on my STI. I too paid out of pocket for it.
Old 05-01-12, 12:55 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like an excuse to get a full lip kit.
Old 05-01-12, 02:03 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Just remember the newly and freshly painted rear bumper might not match the rest of the car.
Old 05-01-12, 02:27 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Whatever the cost is to sand down and re-paint will be your best bet...unless you want to just put the money into a painted lip kit that will cover it.
Old 05-01-12, 02:58 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

I know what you are saying about wanting to fix it and not get the lip but only you know bro. My wife back my gallardo up over a curb at her job while parking it. Just scraped off the paint but they still wanted 2200 bucks to fix it. So rather then claim the insurance I bought the carbon fiber diffuser I had been wanting for about a year. Yeah the scratches are still there but the diffuser covers them and I like the diffuser alot more then I liked fresh paint lol. Diffuser was only 1500 bucks and its a upgrade. So take the negative and turn it into a positive bro ....get a painted lip for 280 or so from Sewell and be done with it and you rear will look better :-)
Old 05-01-12, 04:30 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Agree! Not bad. A good polish will get rid of black marks and rear lip will cover the rest. Maybe not worth getting your insurance involved.

Quick Reply: Someone hit and ran on my fairly new starfire pearl IS...