IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Disable DRL on 2011 with Halogens?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 03:24 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never doubt jeff haha

I thought by adding the LED lexus would of gotten rid of the DRL bulb space, or is that supposed to be the highbeam?? I guess the 2011+ arent bixenon?
Old 02-09-12, 03:35 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2011+ is bixenon.

Just the vehicle had the option not come come with HID/LED and would have the halogen old design instead.
Old 02-09-12, 04:13 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Please tell me you took some pictures and you're gonna post a diy
I second that thought Jeff. I hope you took pictures. You had me double-take myself on the wiring diagram so I am sure your install would be better than my thinking too. Pictures of where you tapped in to the wires and located the relays would save me some brain damage.
Old 02-09-12, 04:23 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

I meant to take a lot more pictures, but was very pressed for time yesterday, so I ended up not really taking enough to do a complete DIY. Within the next week or so, I will put something together that explains it more. The one main picture I really miss not taking is my completed control relay pack before taping it up to the headlight wiring, it was quite beautiful before I taped it up.

I'm going to pull out my multiplex computer tonight and see if there is a physical way I can disable DRL functionality, not sure how easy it will be to take apart, but I think it should be possible to get into the front controller and interrupt whatever timer chip signal they're using to create the duty-cycle signal for the halogen DRL.

Jeff
Old 02-09-12, 04:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Okay, so I can't get inside the multiplex/front controller, so the only way I can do this, is to either get a front controller from a country that doesn't use DRL (Europe/Asia), or get a front controller from a 2011-12 with LED. Either way it should remove the duty-cycle DRL. If I get the 2011-12 w/LED front controller though, I could totally let it control the LED's properly without my extra wiring, haha.

In any case, I'm not too worried about it right now. It looks a little bit goofy having both DRL's on, but not that bad really. Eventually I'll find/buy a new front controller without duty-cycle DRL and it will work fine.

Jeff
Old 02-09-12, 07:45 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Is there a way to disable the DRL's on an 06, but keep the function of the high beams still? So something more than just pulling the bulb or something?
Old 02-09-12, 08:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Yes, have a dealer turn it off in the light control customization settings.

Jeff
Old 02-09-12, 08:37 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi Jeff, look like you did the double relay to make 2011 headlights function like it should on 06-10 ISs? do you mine make a clear DIY? and I wonder where did you order the new version recalled headlights and how the new black paint look? thanks I really want to get my 2011 headlights function the way it should be on 2011+, I think 100% bright is look too much at night the other night I let me GF drive my car and I drive her car so I check out how my car with 2011 headlights look like at night? oh man they are too bright, it make le low beam look dim? and two bright Leds strips look like a cheap on some car with add on getto LEDS
Old 02-10-12, 02:24 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Okay, so I can't get inside the multiplex/front controller, so the only way I can do this, is to either get a front controller from a country that doesn't use DRL (Europe/Asia), or get a front controller from a 2011-12 with LED. Either way it should remove the duty-cycle DRL. If I get the 2011-12 w/LED front controller though, I could totally let it control the LED's properly without my extra wiring, haha.

In any case, I'm not too worried about it right now. It looks a little bit goofy having both DRL's on, but not that bad really. Eventually I'll find/buy a new front controller without duty-cycle DRL and it will work fine.

Jeff
Jeff, so the front controller is the one responsible for controlling the drls? Is the wiring the same going from the headlights to the front controller? Possible plug&play to have it functioning correctly.
Old 02-10-12, 07:11 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Hi Jeff, look like you did the double relay to make 2011 headlights function like it should on 06-10 ISs? do you mine make a clear DIY? and I wonder where did you order the new version recalled headlights and how the new black paint look? thanks I really want to get my 2011 headlights function the way it should be on 2011+, I think 100% bright is look too much at night the other night I let me GF drive my car and I drive her car so I check out how my car with 2011 headlights look like at night? oh man they are too bright, it make le low beam look dim? and two bright Leds strips look like a cheap on some car with add on getto LEDS
Yeah I will try to put something together with instructions, as long as you have DRL's disabled, it will work almost identical to the 2011's from the factory.

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Jeff, so the front controller is the one responsible for controlling the drls? Is the wiring the same going from the headlights to the front controller? Possible plug&play to have it functioning correctly.
No, the wiring from the headlights to the front controller is not the same. You would need to run wiring from the front controller to the headlights for it to correctly control the LED DRL's.

Jeff
Old 02-10-12, 10:00 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yeah I will try to put something together with instructions, as long as you have DRL's disabled, it will work almost identical to the 2011's from the factory.

No, the wiring from the headlights to the front controller is not the same. You would need to run wiring from the front controller to the headlights for it to correctly control the LED DRL's.

Jeff
Jeff, Yeah I got my drl disabled by the dealer, so no more ugly drl, hope you would get everything together with the parts too for DIY I really don't like the way LEDS are 100% on at night it look funny to me
Old 02-10-12, 03:23 PM
jgarrido
Driver

jeff you can do it open the pin26 on Cfront Controller.thas the out DRL pulses on 11+(sorry iam spanish guy)
Old 02-10-12, 03:38 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

The front controller is inside the multiplex computer, despite having pin numbers listed, you can't actually get to them, as everything inside the MPX computer is coated in a rubberized gel, it prevents you from even removing it from the case. I even tried heating it up, but couldn't get it out, even if I did, I'm not sure I'd be able to access it with all that gunk in there.

Also what you are referring to as Pin 26 is the DRL/High signal for the LH headlight, Pin 25 is for the RH headlight. They are both DRL and High. If I could get in there to cut pin 26 (which I can't), it would disable DRL and high beam for the left side, which is both not what I want, and would still leave the RH side working as it is now. DRL's are pulsed on the halogen high beam using some sort of timer circuit and a FET within the front controller, cutting/disabling anything outside the front controller, even within the MPX computer would not disable DRL. What needs to be interrupted is the timer circuit lead to the FET, which is likely at a diode or rectifying diode inside the front controller (it isn't shown in the diagram).

Thanks for trying to help, but unfortunately it didn't.

EDIT: Here is a wiring diagram for the way the front controller on my car works, to help clear it up, I think them listing both models together the way Lexus did can make it somewhat confusing if you look at it: http://jeff.supramania.com/is250/fro..._headlight.PNG

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-10-12 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 03:57 PM
jgarrido
Driver

sorry jeff pin 26 rute Land R via A drl,pin 24 control relay HI?
Old 02-10-12, 04:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Cars with Halogen DRL do not use Pin 24, and do not have control relay Hi. If it has DRL, that relay is deleted and all control is done within the front controller. You need to look at the wiring notes (*8) and (*9) they show what is present in cars with and without Halogen DRL.

Not all the wires in there are present with Halogen DRL, only wires marked (*9) are in there in my car, and no Hi Relay.

Look at the wiring in my last post, it shows what my car has.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Disable DRL on 2011 with Halogens?