IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Your beef/gripes with the ISX50

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 11:17 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Single cup holder...though I'm used to having none so it isn't as big of an issue
-The way the center console lid opens...I don't really mind the AUX plug there because I just close the lid on the cable...if you put it over on the sides it fits easily....I would like to be able to plug in my charger in the center console too since my OCD bothers me having the other one open. That is the placement that bothers me...if only the plug was a little lower it would be more useful
-Unlit and small gas and trunk buttons (2006...so I plan on fixing that soon)
-The big one for me is the placement of the gas tank filler. Most of the gas stations here have concrete barriers or metal guard pipes next to the pumps. It seems like if I get the car a reasonable distance from it and I get the filler in front of the gas nozzle I feel like I have to do a limbo act to get out without opening my door into the barrier.
Old 01-22-12, 08:10 AM
UCLAJimmy
Pole Position

also i noticed on the f sport packages,

the threads on the sitching are fuzzing out. Also, the handle sucks
Old 01-22-12, 10:44 AM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish i had a hand brake =/
Old 01-22-12, 12:48 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Authorize
Another gripe: I can NEVER find a comfortable entry and seating position. I've had the car for more than a month and have more than 1700 miles on it. Yet, I still have to adjust every time I drive.
+1

Had my IS almost 3 years now. Still adjusting the seat from time to time...
Old 01-22-12, 01:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
+1

Had my IS almost 3 years now. Still adjusting the seat from time to time...
I have it for 4 years and I still have some problems.
Old 01-22-12, 03:35 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Steering at highway speeds is to touchy, car seems to be moving all over the lanes forcing me to have to keep adjusting. I can let go of the wheel and it tracks very straight but when I am holding the wheel it seems to move all over the place. Wondering if the sensitivity is not adjusting properly for hwy speeds.
Old 01-22-12, 03:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CCM03
I wish i had a hand brake =/
Yes!! Good one.

I wish we had one too!!!
Old 01-22-12, 03:57 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my only gripe with this car is that I cant fit more than 6 women in it with me at the same time.... bummer

Old 01-22-12, 04:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
my only gripe with this car is that I cant fit more than 6 women in it with me at the same time.... bummer

Whoa whoa...

Fictional issues not allowed.

LOL

j/k

Old 01-22-12, 04:53 PM
09is250mt
Driver School Candidate

For those with manual gearboxes...

rev's take forever to drop when shifting
second gear crunch
gearbox noises
clutch/flywheel chatter

After long drives, my palms hurt from the steerting wheel. The outer edge of the steering wheel is "sharp".
Old 01-22-12, 05:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 09is250mt
For those with manual gearboxes...

rev's take forever to drop when shifting
second gear crunch
gearbox noises
clutch/flywheel chatter

After long drives, my palms hurt from the steerting wheel. The outer edge of the steering wheel is "sharp".
Unfortunately, the 6 speed manual transmission is taken from the Tacoma
Old 01-22-12, 05:51 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgr7
Steering at highway speeds is to touchy, car seems to be moving all over the lanes forcing me to have to keep adjusting. I can let go of the wheel and it tracks very straight but when I am holding the wheel it seems to move all over the place. Wondering if the sensitivity is not adjusting properly for hwy speeds.
Lexus drives like boats lo...no handling, my bmw stock has better handling than an IS lowered and with sways.
Old 01-22-12, 06:58 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I have quite a list.

My AWD has it's own unique issues:

1) When lowering, it causes the 10-20mph vibration and the vibration during stop lights when you're on the brake and in gear.

2) When using lowering springs, it limits the front shock travel so a mild bump feels like it's bottoming out.

3) When stock, it sits way too high like a 4x4

4) I don't particularly like the C-bracket suspension design but that's just being picky.

But aside from the AWD, I want to add in general:

1) The IS drips snow and water when you open the door.

2) The dash tends to rattle (though dealer fixed it for free)

3) the entire dash actually came lose too but that might just be a fluke

4) When pulling down the sun visors, it sounds like a cheap Toyota part where it squeaks a bit.

5) Steering is a bit number (IS-F steering weight helped a bit)

6) The OEM HID projectors use a fresnel lens and it obscures the light. Also the bulb placement is poor going sideways. For HID's, it's way too dim.

7) The transmission makes bit too much noise. 1st gear seems too long for my taste and the occasional 2nd great jolt gets a bit annoying.

8) The car's way too quiet stock (engine and exhaust sound)

9) lack of cup holders and poor placement of existing ones. I paid $35k for a car, I'd expect more than a single poorly placed cup holder. The center console one doesn't work that great for shorter cups. Plus I don't like the condensation building up on the velvet material inside

10) The AUX poor is poorly placed and initially it had feedback noises from the power adapter

11) The stock suspension alignment has too much toe adjustments which frays tires faster than necessary

12) oem paint looks great but is too prone to chipping.

13) rear window is almost entirely useless. good thing I have the backup cam

14) the GPS no longer has a built in driving override. older units don't have bluetooth sterep ad2p and is not the most responsive screen. lacks many features a GPS costing $200 has. For a unit thats $1000+, it's severely overpriced.

15) There's no repeat CD option. Sometimes I enjoy listening to disc 6 and when the last track ends, it automatically changes to disc 1.

16) Sunglass holder is a bit too small

17) rear view mirror can vibrate when your musics a bit loud (there's a fix but it requires shifting the mirror up and I like the position its currently in)

18) rear seats are almost useless and they don't fold down

19) lack of aftermarket engine tuning

and i'll leave it at that.

Old 01-22-12, 07:02 PM
LOISF
Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
Same here :-/
Old 01-22-12, 07:03 PM
LOISF
Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I have quite a list.

My AWD has it's own unique issues:

1) When lowering, it causes the 10-20mph vibration and the vibration during stop lights when you're on the brake and in gear.

2) When using lowering springs, it limits the front shock travel so a mild bump feels like it's bottoming out.

3) When stock, it sits way too high like a 4x4

4) I don't particularly like the C-bracket suspension design but that's just being picky.

But aside from the AWD, I want to add in general:

1) The IS drips snow and water when you open the door.

2) The dash tends to rattle (though dealer fixed it for free)

3) the entire dash actually came lose too but that might just be a fluke

4) When pulling down the sun visors, it sounds like a cheap Toyota part where it squeaks a bit.

5) Steering is a bit number (IS-F steering weight helped a bit)

6) The OEM HID projectors use a fresnel lens and it obscures the light. Also the bulb placement is poor going sideways. For HID's, it's way too dim.

7) The transmission makes bit too much noise. 1st gear seems too long for my taste and the occasional 2nd great jolt gets a bit annoying.

8) The car's way too quiet stock (engine and exhaust sound)

9) lack of cup holders and poor placement of existing ones. I paid $35k for a car, I'd expect more than a single poorly placed cup holder. The center console one doesn't work that great for shorter cups. Plus I don't like the condensation building up on the velvet material inside

10) The AUX poor is poorly placed and initially it had feedback noises from the power adapter

11) The stock suspension alignment has too much toe adjustments which frays tires faster than necessary

12) oem paint looks great but is too prone to chipping.

13) rear window is almost entirely useless. good thing I have the backup cam

14) the GPS no longer has a built in driving override. older units don't have bluetooth sterep ad2p and is not the most responsive screen. lacks many features a GPS costing $200 has. For a unit thats $1000+, it's severely overpriced.

15) There's no repeat CD option. Sometimes I enjoy listening to disc 6 and when the last track ends, it automatically changes to disc 1.

16) Sunglass holder is a bit too small

17) rear view mirror can vibrate when your musics a bit loud (there's a fix but it requires shifting the mirror up and I like the position its currently in)

18) rear seats are almost useless and they don't fold down

19) lack of aftermarket engine tuning

and i'll leave it at that.

damn LOL....I hope the list of why you love the car is longer haha

Quick Reply: Your beef/gripes with the ISX50