IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low coolant heater issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 04:35 PM
skelow401
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Low coolant heater issue

So I have the infamous low coolant heater issue at idle. Checked the coolant and it is indeed low. My question is when I take my car for service one of the things on the list is to top off a
all fluids. Is coolant not one they should top off?

Next question is I know they recommend using Toyota brand coolant but is that really necessary? And use an off the shelf brand? Do any stores sell Toyota brand coolant besides dealerships?
Old 01-05-12, 04:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes they should top that off and so can you. I say use the Toyota coolant. It is a pink color so it's different than Prestone for example. I don't know of any other place that sells it other than dealers.

Last edited by Sffd103; 01-06-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 07:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

It's pink, not to be confused with Toyota red coolant. The 2IS all use SLLC coolant.

I'd be a lot more concerned about why it is low. Sure if the car is 3 or 4 years old, it's going to lose some volume from evaporation, but if the car is fairly new, this should not be happening.

If you really want to be cheap, just buy a gallon of distilled water and fill to the full line on the reservoir. It won't hurt a thing and if the original cause was evaporation, you're just adding back what nature removed over time.
Old 01-06-12, 08:13 AM
skelow401
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's pink, not to be confused with Toyota red coolant. The 2IS all use SLLC coolant.

I'd be a lot more concerned about why it is low. Sure if the car is 3 or 4 years old, it's going to lose some volume from evaporation, but if the car is fairly new, this should not be happening.

If you really want to be cheap, just buy a gallon of distilled water and fill to the full line on the reservoir. It won't hurt a thing and if the original cause was evaporation, you're just adding back what nature removed over time.
Its just over 5 years old. I'm just really upset that I take my car to the Lexus dealership for all my services and nobody topped off the coolant? Or at least noticed it was extremely low? I just had it in last month for my 50,000 service. My overflow tank looks to be completely empty. I'm driving to the dealership today to get some coolant.
Old 01-06-12, 08:26 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a gallon of the Toyota super long life coolant at a Toyota dealership for like $22+tax.

If you're going to be adding the coolant yourself here is my experiance:

"The long story is: the overflow reservoir (or whatever it's called) was completely empty. I filled it with coolant to the FULL line. Drove the car couple of days later but the cold air below 1000 RPM problem was still there. After the car had cooled down, I undid the radiator cap (it's actually away from the radiator under the engine cover) and filled the system with coolant through there. Drove the car the next day and the issue is gone!
So if your coolant reservoir is bone dry, fill the cooling system through the radiator cap (ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD). Do it very slowly (I used a seringe) and any extra coolant will flow to the overflow reservoir. At that point add coolant to the actual reservoir."

Last edited by oblivionis; 01-06-12 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 07:17 PM
skelow401
Rookie

So I just wanted to share how my situation worked out. I took my car to my dealer and complained that I have had all me services done here and my coolant level should have been checked. They agreed and offered to fill up the coolant but said they wanted to wait for my car to cool down. I didn't want to wait so they gave me a gallon of Toyota coolant. I know it's nothing crazy but they could have denied everything and made me buy the coolant.
Old 01-09-12, 04:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by oblivionis
I bought a gallon of the Toyota super long life coolant at a Toyota dealership for like $22+tax.

If you're going to be adding the coolant yourself here is my experiance:

"The long story is: the overflow reservoir (or whatever it's called) was completely empty. I filled it with coolant to the FULL line. Drove the car couple of days later but the cold air below 1000 RPM problem was still there. After the car had cooled down, I undid the radiator cap (it's actually away from the radiator under the engine cover) and filled the system with coolant through there. Drove the car the next day and the issue is gone!
So if your coolant reservoir is bone dry, fill the cooling system through the radiator cap (ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD). Do it very slowly (I used a seringe) and any extra coolant will flow to the overflow reservoir. At that point add coolant to the actual reservoir."
It's not an overflow. It's part of the system, and there should ALWAYS be coolant in it. If it ever goes dry, you need to find out why immediately. Air in your cooling system is just about the worst thing you can do to an otherwise good engine. Many times you will not see the engine overheat when this happens because the coolant sensor does not accurately read temperature unless it is covered with liquid coolant. I've seen engines destroyed because the owner never saw any over temperature indication, and the cooling system was WAY too low.

In your case, you REALLY need to find out where the coolant went. I've never seen a reservoir go dry unless there is a serious problem - blown head gasket, cracked head, cracked block, leaking coolant pump, or some other damage to the engine's cooling system allowing the coolant to slowly escape as steam so the driver doesn't see it. I'd want to know what is happening for sure if it were my car.
Old 01-09-12, 04:44 PM
skelow401
Rookie

There are quite a few people having this issue. I can't imagine we all have something serious wrong. My overflow was not empty but really low. surely over a 5 year period coolant just evaporates. I never monitor mine I assume the dealership would watch it and fill as req'd. But obviously not.
Old 01-09-12, 04:58 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your water pump: HAS KNOWN LEAKS!
Old 01-09-12, 06:50 PM
skelow401
Rookie

So I hear a lot about water pump leaks and now I'm worried. I dont see any pink anywhere in my engine but where did my coolant go. I agree with the post that said it should never evaporate unless there is a major problem. I don't hear any weird sounds from my engine or water sounds but should I have it checked out just incase? I was reding through my warranty and it says the water pump is under warranty for 7 years or 70000 miles. Is this true that it covered under the power train warranty?
Old 01-09-12, 07:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skelow401
So I hear a lot about water pump leaks and now I'm worried. I dont see any pink anywhere in my engine but where did my coolant go. I agree with the post that said it should never evaporate unless there is a major problem. I don't hear any weird sounds from my engine or water sounds but should I have it checked out just incase? I was reding through my warranty and it says the water pump is under warranty for 7 years or 70000 miles. Is this true that it covered under the power train warranty?
it's definitely covered by powertrain, but that was 6 years/70k miles last I knew (it was when I bought mine anyway...)
Old 01-10-12, 04:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by skelow401
There are quite a few people having this issue. I can't imagine we all have something serious wrong. My overflow was not empty but really low. surely over a 5 year period coolant just evaporates. I never monitor mine I assume the dealership would watch it and fill as req'd. But obviously not.
Yes, the water evaporates out of the coolant over time and operation (hot coolant evaporates water faster). This is why I said buy a gallon of distilled water and refill it. Pure water does a better job of cooling than coolant anyway (unless your cooling system was converted to Evans NPG - but that's pretty rare).

If you are buying a "service" like a 10k or 15k service, yes, they should inspect ALL fluid levels and if necessary top off anything not meeting minimum service specs.

If you just go in for oil changes or other specific minor service, don't assume they're checking anything you didn't ask them to check.
Old 01-10-12, 07:03 PM
skelow401
Rookie

Just had my car checked out at the dealership and the water pump is leaking. The service tech coolant would never evaporate because it's a closed system. You could lose minimal amounts, but if you lose half your overflow tank you have a leak. You guys with this problem should gets yours checked while its still under warranty. I guarantee if you lost enough coolant that your heater doesn't work then you have a leak. It does not evaporate that much.
Old 05-27-12, 12:49 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Awesome thread guys!! I checked my coolant and it is below the "low" line (07 IS 350), going to refill it tomorrow. I will keep my eye on it, if I' am losing coolant at a fast rate I will take my car to the lexus dealership and have them check the water pump.... Kinda confuse on how it was so low since I have taken my car into service numerous times 0_o...

Good info!!
Old 11-22-13, 01:30 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I just bought some coolant, but how would I know if my water pump is leaking?

Quick Reply: Low coolant heater issue