IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Decisions (Black vs white vs Gray)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 06:12 PM
Vipor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions (Black vs white vs Gray)

Hi guys (and gals),

New to the forum.... gosh, after looking at all these pics of awesome looking rides, I am stuck.

I am in discussions with a dealership to purchase my very first Lexus (2012 iS350) and am stuck on color. Hoping some here can help me out with their experience.

I have been leaning on a black on black with F-Sport. But, after looking at some of these pics on here, a white also looks hot. Then looking at all the mods you guys and gals have done, makes me think perhaps do without the F-Sport and make my own mods.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Old 12-13-11, 06:14 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't really go wrong on color. The car looks fantastic in all of them IMO. It really depends on your personal taste.
Old 12-13-11, 06:22 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he said. on a side note, chose lighter color for easier maintenance..
Old 12-13-11, 06:26 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Can't go wrong with white or black. If I had to pick a color outside of that I would've choose ultra sonic blue. If you plan on getting f sport parts u might as well get an f sport. If u have ideas for other mods then get a regular. Congrats in advance I'm sure you'll make a good choice
Old 12-13-11, 06:32 PM
albis350
Driver

Man like everyone had said the car is beautiful in all the colors available, I drive a 2006 Obsidian (Black) and it is awesome when clean but is real hard to keep Imagine that car since '06 getting dirt and me on top of it fighting to keep it clean. My next car ( most likely) another Lexus will be white, my mom drives a Highlander pearl white and is real easy to maintain, I take it many times to pull my jetski and of course it gets dirty all I do is throw some water with a hose at the end of the day and is clean but is really not that way with my IS at all only leaving the car overnight the moisture gets it real dirty.
Old 12-13-11, 06:32 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Any color is nice. The only color that will look clean even if its dirty is TP, tungsten pearl. white and black both you can notice the dirt and stuff. With white cars over time if you dont wash your car a lot you will get those little yellow spots all over, dark cars you can see dust like no tomorrow.
Old 12-13-11, 06:36 PM
Vipor
Rookie

Thanks guys for the responses.

RookieIS, you mentioned lighter colors for easier maintenance. Is there tough maintenance on a dark color? I've had black SUVs in the past and the things I saw with that is things like... the swirl marks you see on the paint when the sun hits the paint.. or, the water marks when the water sprinklers hit the car... Is that what you are referring to?

RDIS250AWD, yeah, that is one of the things that makes me think right now. I liked the seats, pedals, exhaust, and spoiler that comes with the F-sport. Just have to really think this over. These beauties are not cheap. :-)
Old 12-13-11, 06:37 PM
Samieee
Pole Position

I'm biased towards dark grey (Smokey Granite Mica) which is the one I have. IMO a white car must be accompanied with a beige or light colored interior. Black looks amazing when properly maintained but you see everything that happens to the body
Old 12-13-11, 06:37 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the SMG but the white and blue f-sport are great colors.
Old 12-13-11, 06:38 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

get the new nebula gray
Old 12-13-11, 06:42 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

yeah new grey ftw if not SGM
Old 12-13-11, 07:26 PM
Vipor
Rookie

Just saw a pic of a white IS right next to a black IS. Dang, that white looks sharp. Imagine how that white would look with F Sport mods on it. But, would black interior clash?
Old 12-13-11, 07:37 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

white really stands out from the fsport pkg
Old 12-13-11, 07:47 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have black and it's a Bi*@H to keep clean..if you're a neat freak! If you are liking white, get that with the black. It looks really good. The tan interior gets the floor mats too dirty. Congrats on your soon to be IS350 and welcome to CL.
Old 12-13-11, 07:58 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vipor
Thanks guys for the responses.

RookieIS, you mentioned lighter colors for easier maintenance. Is there tough maintenance on a dark color? I've had black SUVs in the past and the things I saw with that is things like... the swirl marks you see on the paint when the sun hits the paint.. or, the water marks when the water sprinklers hit the car... Is that what you are referring to?
Originally Posted by Sffd103
I have black and it's a Bi*@H to keep clean..if you're a neat freak! If you are liking white, get that with the black. It looks really good. The tan interior gets the floor mats too dirty. Congrats on your soon to be IS350 and welcome to CL.
haha, i've owned a black car and tan interior.. the swirl marks just drives me insane and the interior gets dirty easily if its not taken care.. now i've a TP and i never looked back

on a side note, why dont you consider the new Nebula Grey as what Josh suggested? It's a new color and i find it different from the norm

Quick Reply: Decisions (Black vs white vs Gray)