IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 10:33 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix

So I'm pretty much having a crappy day/night. Bad enough everything at work hit the fan and then after leaving late, I get involved in a small incident/accident on the freeway on my way home. Semi-Truck's tire essentially blew a few cars in front of me and I could not avoid it as the the car in front of me clipped it and I had no where to steer to avoid as I had cars on both sides of me. I steered a little bit off to the side of the lane, mind you I was in the slow lane taking my exit soon, not speeding, not following close to the car infront of me either, just a few seconds to react when traveling 50mph as a blown tire is getting clipped and moving along the lane. The tire scratched my front end and then proceeded under the car where it tore the plastic rear wheel well liner on the rear passenger side.

CHP was telling me it's considered a "flat tire" and it is not the drivers fault and sent hiim off. In my opinion it is negligence on the driver or truck company not keeping regular maintenance up or inspecting their tires for tire wear... I've never seen tires blow like that for no reason, perhaps he was carrying a heavier load then usual, don't know. All I know I have a car that's 3 months old with scratched, busted plastic, that will probably cost more than I assume. CHP also said I don't need a report for my insurance, and they will most likely cover for stuff like this. He then said a report may do more damage than good. But I got one anyways, I never heard of a report doing damage in regards to documenting an incident.

This is killing me as my car is only a few months old as I purchased it in August and I am very meticulous about my cars... so any kind of scratch or door ding feels really painful. My poor IS was raped by a blown tire and left slightly scratched and busted..

So what do you guys think? I'm gonna probably talk to my agent tomorrow. Should I get my front re-painted? Or possible buy a front lip? I need to replace the plastic wheel well liner which will probably be pretty pricey for plastic.
Attached Thumbnails My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-fr1.jpg   My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-fr2.jpg   My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-3.jpg   My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-4.jpg   My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-5.jpg  

Old 12-01-11, 10:42 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

so many accidents happening to members lately sorry to hear about that.

as for the repairs, did you try buffing it out? it doesn't look that bad
Old 12-01-11, 10:44 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rookieIS
so many accidents happening to members lately sorry to hear about that.

as for the repairs, did you try buffing it out? it doesn't look that bad
+1. Rubber will buff off. Try Scratch X 2.0. Probably only cost $8.

Best bet is to look at your local junk yard and see if you can get another liner.
Old 12-01-11, 10:48 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep scratch x and a clay bar should help clear up some.of that
Old 12-01-11, 11:09 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

you could also talk to your insurance agent and see if they can work something out with you or not..
Old 12-01-11, 11:17 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Yep scratch x and a clay bar should help clear up some.of that
+1 on that. Claybars are magical lol. As far as the plastic pieces. They are fairly cheap. None the less its just a hassle ordering them and install. Goodluck. It could of been worst.
Old 12-01-11, 11:18 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

if it's rubber... buffing should get the stuff off...
Old 12-01-11, 11:20 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

OP here... Definitely think and know the black will buff out. I have a good clay bar and an electric buffer, and an extended line up of scratch reducers, smooth cut polishes, and waxes. But when I ran my finger tip across it, I felt some scratches, and also couple nicks beyond clear coat & paint. So I'm pretty sure there will be some grey plastic/fiberglass specks to be revealed. Hopefully they won't be in viewing area but still bothers the hell out of me! I almost want to just get some fresh paint on, a new bumper or a front lip. The black plastic liner for the rear wheel well, I might just get fixed at Lexus. I'm soooo bitter tho. I don't mind paying a little extra to get things done right sometimes but the fact I have to pay for this myself makes me feel like i'm paying for something that was not my fault.... I did all I could do as a driver. I wish I left work earlier... Hoping insurance will cover some of this.

Probably will call Lexus first to get an estimate on the wheel well liner and touching up the bumper... then give my agent a shout.
Old 12-01-11, 11:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hit something in the road once too, insurance company said if the object came off another vehicle but hits anything else before it hits your car (i.e another car, the road, etc) and doesn't directly hit you, its considered a "comprehensive' loss. So you'll be subject to your comprehensive deductible - but the incident wont be counted against you. I found this stupid too. In my case, i was driving my brothers car, a part of the truck fell off and hit the road, bounced up, and landed on the hood.

Luckily, most of those marks on your bumper/lip should buff out with a little bit of elbow grease. Just have to get that liner fixed

Depending on your deductible, might be better to fix it out of pocket and avoid insurance for now.
Old 12-02-11, 12:39 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

This brings back bad memories of a similar incident I had.. A van in front of me ran over something and kicked it up towards my car, hitting the bumper, went underneath my car and took the fender liner and foglight with it. Damaged a headlight tab and several plastic panels undeneath my car as well. Stupid Mercury Insurance considered it collision because my car is moving. They described to me comprehensive applies when the car is not moving and something happens to it. I made something out of it though, I now have the 2011 front bumper!

Sucks it had to happen on such a new car but on the positive side, most of those black markings should buff right off. My stock bumper was all marked up from what looked a piece of tire, but after some buffing, can't tell something hit it unless you were like 2 ft away looking at it.
Attached Thumbnails My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-imag0326.jpg   My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-imag0338.jpg   My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix-imag0365.jpg  
Old 12-02-11, 09:52 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It IS the fault of the trucker and trucker company! See my story here :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6848960

I don't know if it differs from state to state, but the Trucking company from my story paid for new bumper on my car. I hope you got the phone # for that trucking company and license # & plate # & DOT #? Did any of the others that hit the same tire pull over and you get their info?
Old 12-02-11, 10:11 AM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Gville350... I took a picture of the truck with company logo, and license plate. I also exchanged info with one of the other 2 that pulled over. He got the worst of it too. Smash his front grill on his jaguar and scratched up his bumper pretty bad too, and then dented in hi muffler on the way out the back.

I can look up the trucking company online. I have the Company Name, Truck #, and License Plate. I overheard his dispatch telling him to just leave and continue on his route. He proceeded to stay and then CHP came.

I hope my insurance agent will have good news for me. Ideally, I'd like to get it re-painted... as I'm pretty sure there will be some solid nicks on it. Probably not completely visible but bothers me soo much. That liner will probably be the most expensive piece of plastic I ever buy. Looking to get a quote from Lexus today.
Old 12-02-11, 11:12 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
Gville350... I took a picture of the truck with company logo, and license plate. I also exchanged info with one of the other 2 that pulled over. He got the worst of it too. Smash his front grill on his jaguar and scratched up his bumper pretty bad too, and then dented in hi muffler on the way out the back.

I can look up the trucking company online. I have the Company Name, Truck #, and License Plate. I overheard his dispatch telling him to just leave and continue on his route. He proceeded to stay and then CHP came.

I hope my insurance agent will have good news for me. Ideally, I'd like to get it re-painted... as I'm pretty sure there will be some solid nicks on it. Probably not completely visible but bothers me soo much. That liner will probably be the most expensive piece of plastic I ever buy. Looking to get a quote from Lexus today.
Great news! Yes, persue the ordeal with your insurance company and have them contact the other party involve to collabroate your story.

GL!
Old 12-02-11, 03:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhonyISF

The damages doesn't look bad at all. Even if there is a nick here and there, eventually you will get rock chips on your bumper.

Long story short, my brand spanking new IS350 in 2008 got hit in 1 month on my rear bumper. Someone tapped my bumper and left minor scuff marks. I was planning to repaint it because I want my car to be perfect. Luckily I didn't because the next month I got hit in same area on the bumper. This time it left 4 screw holes on my bumper.

And the fender liner looks repairable. Just do a cheap bondo job

I basically don't even have fenders in the front anymore. I might as well just drive without one because my front tires scraped a giant hole to the front.
Old 12-02-11, 04:28 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks man. Hope it all works out for you

Quick Reply: My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix