IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RWD IS in snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 07:14 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in NY and have an IS350 RWD with summer tires. I switched to the Blizzaks every winter with no problems in the snow at all.
Old 11-14-11, 07:36 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't make sense for me to switch to snow tires. I mean it literally snows 1-3 times a year here. If it does, it snows for 3 hours the most. I guess I won't be driving in the snow.
Old 11-14-11, 07:42 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

One thing to understand here fellas is when it snow it doesnt snow 24/7 and the roads arent covered with 5-12inches everyday. After it snow few hrs later the plow trucks clear the roads. If you cant drive the IS in the winter well you suck in driving. Cause in my area i see 50-60years women and men driving real wheel cars in the snow. I even got past by an elder men last year and he had the LS460 RWD durning a snow fall.
Old 11-14-11, 10:55 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
One thing to understand here fellas is when it snow it doesnt snow 24/7 and the roads arent covered with 5-12inches everyday. After it snow few hrs later the plow trucks clear the roads. If you cant drive the IS in the winter well you suck in driving. Cause in my area i see 50-60years women and men driving real wheel cars in the snow. I even got past by an elder men last year and he had the LS460 RWD durning a snow fall.
One thing you gotta understand is I'm on cheap Nankang summer tires that have 50% thread left. Came with the car when I bought it. I almost spunout after a drizzle, twice. No I didn't gun it, this was coming from a full stop at the light. I've also spunout last year in my fwd Camry with 5 ppl in the car, going carefully slow, in 1 inch of snow. I'll admit I'm not a pro at snow driving but I wouldn't consider my driving skills "bad." Here in NC where it barely snows, people have wrecks all the time in half inch of powder. Why? Because it doesn't snow often enuff for us to get used to it. I'm not about to spend a few hundred on snow tires I'll use 3 times tops and i don't wanna risk crashing my $30k car. I guess I'll get a ride with my friends or stock up on groceries before it snows.
Old 11-14-11, 11:30 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
I would recommend getting the proper tires then regardless if it is not snowing. If it gets cold enough, the summer tires grip would get less effective such that the winter tires would come in handy. It is almost, why have a luxury car if one cannot get the proper equipment for it? It is better to cover yourself.

A few of my friends have currently switched to winters ahead of time even thou the snow has not come in yet. My mom is even going to switch to winters on her 99 Camry soon.

I personally spun out on 99 Camry Solara on the freeway in the snow about 2 years ago which was on all seasons when the car's backend suddenly fishtailed when I was not on the throttle when it happened as I was coasting in the slowest lane. It was a bit bumpy even thou it was plowed, but one of those bumps caused it to go out of control I counter steered it twice to save it (knew how to do it in practice, but not the real thing). The first one was when the car suddenly veered left (countered right), sweeping across all lanes, then it suddenly veered right (countered left), finally losing all speed and it came to a gradual stop and under control just on the right shoulder. This was at the time before I knew about the advantages of dedicated tires and the fishtail probably would not of happened if the proper tires were on there.

Last edited by Sango; 11-15-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 01:32 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Last 6 years? How old are you?

You don't need chains, not to mention they are illegal in most areas. Just be patient and keep a safe distant.
21, obviously you don't live I'm area where carrying chains is a necessity. I'm not saying I'm an expert but when you drive in deep snow for 6 winters straight you tend to learn what works and what doesn't. I don't follow other states chain laws because often times my truck doesn't need chains. Sorry for trying to be a little helpful. And the advice you gave was actually good, so no need for the attitude. OP check your local chain laws, if it's legal I still recommend picking up a set.
Old 11-15-11, 10:53 AM
lilkrnone
Driver School Candidate

I admit, I'm not a very good driver when it comes to snow. I'ved asked people, but getting some mixed advice. Would you recommend starting in second gear and engine braking to slow down before applying the brakes? Someone also said to put something heavy in the trunk, but I've also heard otherwise. TIA!
Old 11-15-11, 12:32 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

lilkrnone weight in the trunk can help but it not needed but do invest in snow tires. As for slowwing down just give yourself a good amount of room before hitting the break and dont follow any body too close. NorCalis As for chain use nobody on the northeast uses chain even if there 2foof of snow. Road here get plowed and clear within the hrs after a snow storm.
Old 11-15-11, 12:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lilkrnone
I admit, I'm not a very good driver when it comes to snow. I'ved asked people, but getting some mixed advice. Would you recommend starting in second gear and engine braking to slow down before applying the brakes? Someone also said to put something heavy in the trunk, but I've also heard otherwise. TIA!
You want weight above the drive wheels of the car. For a RWD car that's the trunk.

For a FWD car weight in the trunk would be counter-productive.

But yeah, get snow tires. That's considerably more important than the drivetrain for anything other than climbing very, very steep hills in snow.
Old 11-15-11, 01:16 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

NorCalis As for chain use nobody on the northeast uses chain even if there 2foof of snow. Road here get plowed and clear within the hrs after a snow storm.
That... I am envious of. Someone call caltrans and tell them to take some notes!!
Old 11-15-11, 06:54 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just the thread I was looking for, answered all my questions. I'm moving my IS from Hawaii to Washington, DC in December. Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-11, 07:34 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

I have been owning and driving RWD cars (Benz C320, RX-8, MR2, 350z, and now IS350) in Kansas for...7 yrs with nothing more than a set of high-performance all-season tires.

It's not that bad like many people make it out to be. And all my cars has aero kit, wide rear tires (255-275), and lowered.
Old 11-16-11, 12:05 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree. I only have all season tires on my IS350. When I decided on the IS350 I knew that I was going to have to replace the stock bridgestones (high performance summer tires) with something I could use in the winter. I took into account where i live in Southern Ohio that it does snow some but In the town I live in they are quick to clear the roads,as well as the fact that I am comfortable driving in the snow in a rwd car. So a set of dedicated winter tires/rims doesnt make sense.

To the op, due to the lack of experience in snow I would suggest a set of snow tires if you are frequently driving in snow (any amount). If the tires that are on your IS are the stock tires, do not attempt to drive in any snow. At the very least your going to have to get a good set of all season tires and only drive when the roads have no snow on them and are dry and find someone to pick you up when the roads are snow covered.

Last edited by is150; 11-16-11 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 05:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
I have to agree. I only have all season tires on my IS350. When I decided on the IS350 I knew that I was going to have to replace the stock bridgestones (high performance summer tires) with something I could use in the winter. I took into account where i live in Southern Ohio that it does snow some but In the town I live in they are quick to clear the roads,as well as the fact that I am comfortable driving in the snow in a rwd car. So a set of dedicated winter tires/rims doesnt make sense.

Well, all seasons almost never make sense to my mind.

The problem isn't so much that you're missing out on how much better snow tires are for the handfull of times it snows (though the difference in, say, stopping distance, is pretty large there too)

The problem is you're missing out on how much better summer tires are the entire rest of the year

You're driving around on tires that suck all the time compared to seasonal tires.

And I'm not talking about how well it handles a high speed corner... I'm talking about how well it avoids hydroplaning in rain, and how it stops in 20-40% longer distance compared to dedicated tires.
Old 11-16-11, 06:48 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

OP where in Kentucky are you located?

This will be my first winter in my RWD IS. I have the all season tires on my wheels for now. Never even thought about buying snow tires though. As long as you take your time and go slow at first, you should be fine. I've had 3 S2000's in the past with all kinds of summer tires. Never had much trouble once I get going while driving them in the snow. I do avoid large hills and such though, stay away from curbs.

It's actually very fun while driving in the snow once your comfortable with it. A little throttle in a turn is all you need to have some fun.

The main thing I worry about when driving in the snow is other drivers. Esp those in trucks or AWD/4WD vehicles. They think because they can get a good start, that the AWD/4WD will help them stop faster, but it does not.

I did however avoid getting the side of my Acura RDX AWD hit last winter. AWD helped me pick up and get out of the intersection where the young girl came fliying in sliding.