IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it too expensive?:uh:

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 03:00 PM
mier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it too expensive?:uh:

Hi, I just got a quote from a geico body shop called true quality collision, they quote me $1048 for following damage on my car, Is it reasonable price?

here is the damage on rear bumper

damager on the passenger fender

and left quarter panel, very hard to see it coz of white car

Here is a picture of my front bumper, there alot rock chips, its really hard to see on picture. They said they can do it for $250 to get it sanded and repaint for $250.

How is the price? Its expensive? or Should I do it? please give me some advices.

Last edited by mier; 10-24-11 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 03:06 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa you need to resize those pics

But it looks like your car is Starfire Pearl, which by itself means its gonne be expensive. What are they doing exactly though. Are they repainting your entire rear bumper and the fender and quarter panel? And just a heads up if they are repainting the rear bumper, fender, quarter panel and front bumper, i can almost guarantee you its not going to match anymore with the original paint lol
Old 10-19-11, 03:11 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you be more specific about what the quote includes? Is it to sand and repaint front and rear bumpers + quarter panel, for example?

I don't know what year your car is but I'll assume 2009 based on the tails. A brand new bumper painted Starfire Pearl from Sewell is only around $550 with a CL discount. And installation is extremely easy, could be done by anyone at home. Just wanted to add that in.
Old 10-19-11, 03:16 PM
mier
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Whoa you need to resize those pics

But it looks like your car is Starfire Pearl, which by itself means its gonne be expensive. What are they doing exactly though. Are they repainting your entire rear bumper and the fender and quarter panel? And just a heads up if they are repainting the rear bumper, fender, quarter panel and front bumper, i can almost guarantee you its not going to match anymore with the original paint lol
Yes, they will repaint entire rear bumper and the fender and quarter panel and Why did you say it will not match? Doesnt it happen to all the Starfire pearl?
Old 10-19-11, 03:19 PM
mier
Rookie

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Can you be more specific about what the quote includes? Is it to sand and repaint front and rear bumpers + quarter panel, for example?

I don't know what year your car is but I'll assume 2009 based on the tails. A brand new bumper painted Starfire Pearl from Sewell is only around $550 with a CL discount. And installation is extremely easy, could be done by anyone at home. Just wanted to add that in.
My car is 2009, I know how to replace front bumper, I just install HID and Mtec for fog light and headlight. But the front bumper is in good shape only that it has alot rock chips and if I decide to repaint the rear bumper ,left quarter and front fender, my car will look brand new. that is why i was thinking to repaint the front bumper. Dont know if its worth hehe.
Old 10-19-11, 03:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'm saying it wont match out of experience. Matching a pearl white color is very difficult to do. The original paint will be more sun faded, and the new paint wont be. But its not just that, the amount of pearl you put in there too is probably going to be off. Most of the time its either too much or too little pearl to go with the rest of the car. If you want it to match, your better off repainting the whole car if your going to do the front bumper, rear bumper, fender and left quarter panel.
Old 10-19-11, 03:25 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In general, repainting will never match perfectly with factory paint. This is because the formulation used, and the fact that the factory uses robots to paint it as opposed to done by hand.

Last edited by Sango; 10-19-11 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 03:37 PM
mier
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I'm saying it wont match out of experience. Matching a pearl white color is very difficult to do. The original paint will be more sun faded, and the new paint wont be. But its not just that, the amount of pearl you put in there too is probably going to be off. Most of the time its either too much or too little pearl to go with the rest of the car. If you want it to match, your better off repainting the whole car if your going to do the front bumper, rear bumper, fender and left quarter panel.
Bodyshop guy told me, the bumper will not match the color 100%, but the rear quarter and front fender will match the color for sure. After read ur guys post, I guess he is lying. hehe But the dents on my IS is really bothering me.
Old 10-19-11, 03:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mier
Bodyshop guy told me, the bumper will not match the color 100%, but the rear quarter and front fender will match the color for sure. After read ur guys post, I guess he is lying. hehe But the dents on my IS is really bothering me.
The quarter and fender should blend in because they'll blend in and paint part of the door and clear the quarter and whole door.
The front and rear bumper will be painted and be against the non painted trunk and quarter and you will see a difference.
Old 10-19-11, 04:35 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The quarter and fender should blend in because they'll blend in and paint part of the door and clear the quarter and whole door.
The front and rear bumper will be painted and be against the non painted trunk and quarter and you will see a difference.
This

It really depends on how **** you are abotu the car. But if dents bother you, the color mismatch probably will to lol.
Old 10-19-11, 05:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In reality, it will never quite match perfectly, even thou it will be close enough to play tricks on your eye in thinking it is the same. Also, can be proven using a paint gauge, where the repaint will have definte wider range in variance in paint thickness consistencies compared to factory paint.

Also factory paint thickness also varies from car to car but it would be a lot more consistant throughout the vehicle. As for a robot, they approximately use 30% less paint compared to by hand.

Last edited by Sango; 10-19-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 05:32 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a guy in brooklyn that can give a good price, i cant quote for him, you would need to go see him. Its in the Coney Island area, I can meet you and introduce you guys. just him me up and Ill give you my cell
Old 10-19-11, 07:37 PM
100degrees
Pole Position

All that work can def be done for cheaper. Don't know if you already knew, but looks like your r bumper was already repainted once before.
Old 10-19-11, 07:55 PM
birador
Lead Lap

look or go to another reputable body shop for another estimate
Old 10-19-11, 08:00 PM
mier
Rookie

Originally Posted by silvaIS
I have a guy in brooklyn that can give a good price, i cant quote for him, you would need to go see him. Its in the Coney Island area, I can meet you and introduce you guys. just him me up and Ill give you my cell
too bad, im at Ohio right now. thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Is it too expensive?:uh: