IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Drove an IS for the first time ever

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 02:30 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Default Drove an IS for the first time ever

A Lexus dealership came out to a car show I was at and I got to test drive an IS 250 for the first time (the only IS I've ever driven). A couple things you should know about me;

1) My only other car is a Prius (<---see avatar).
2) The 2IS is like my favorite car ever (next to the Prius). Of course, this was all based on reputation, looks, research on this site etc., since I had never actually driven one.

Back to the story - The IS (250) was painted in ultrasonic blue (my favorite color!) and decked out in F-Sport accessories. Because I was so caught up w/ excitement and its rear emblems were hidden from my view, I seriously thought it was the IS-F and wouldn't realize that it wasn't until during my test drive.

Test drive: The IS felt gooood inside. The leather steering wheel felt goood. When I put my foot on the gas just a little it seemed to take off. Very quiet and very smooth. I started trying to push the car more and more on turns and on-ramps. Acceleration felt brisk but not outstanding. At this point I still thought I was driving an IS-F, so most of the thrill was a placebo. Then in the middle of my test drive, the salesman goes "....and if you get the 350 you get another 100 horsepower". "Wait...WHAT?"

When I realized I was driving the 250, everything made sense. This IS felt like a normal car (a very great normal car), but not the rocket everyone was getting excited about. I desperately want to go the the dealer soon, to test drive the 350 or better yet, IS-F.

The point of my story: While the IS 250 is a great car, if I'm not going to get 50mpg, then I want something faster than the 250. The 350 or the IS F is the only way to go for me.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-29-11, 02:33 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skip the 350.. AND F it!! haha
Old 09-29-11, 02:38 PM
NathanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by langjaykev
LOL, and make sure you skip the NAVIGATION package too!
Old 09-29-11, 02:46 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the Nav. Comes with awesome backup camera. The IS350 is a completely different animal. So much moar faster that its worth losing some mpg. The IS-F is overkill IMHO. Too damned fast and really bad mpg. I think the IS350 is a good balance.
Old 09-29-11, 02:54 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Get the navi and the auto dimming side mirrors if you do any driving at night.

However, if you already have a car that is your commuter / gas saver, get something with a V8 (or a power adder 4/6cyl) to play with. N/A V6's suck for making power.

If you want a toy, I would strongly recommend you look for an IS300. A VERY strong power potential engine in that car.
Old 09-29-11, 02:58 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
Get the navi and the auto dimming side mirrors if you do any driving at night.
Auto dimming is part of the Luxury package, along with HIDs, auto tilt side mirrors (when reversing), memory seats, heated/aired seats, wood trim, rear sun shade, illuminated door sills (lights up "Lexus"), auto dimming rear view mirror, heated side mirrors and AFS turning and up and down HIDs if its a 06 to 09.

Note that the Luxury package is super rare tho.

Last edited by istarzan; 09-29-11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 03:04 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by langjaykev
well said lol
Old 09-29-11, 03:08 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having a Prius as a daily driver definitely means a 350 or F is in order as the fun car. Glad you liked the 2IS!
Old 09-29-11, 03:14 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Hmmm well I was really thinking of saving some money buying used. The problem is, I want a 2011, which means I'll probably have to wait a while. I like the new taillights and LED strips. I know I know, the LED strips are kind of overdone, but they actually look good on the Lexus (unlike Chryslers and even Audis sometimes).

Then there's the issue of what color to choose. I just can't decide:

- Ultrasonic Blue - has always been my favorite, especially when it was exclusive on the IS-F
- Black - I'd love to own a black car
- White - clean and easiest to mod
- Silver - also clean and easy to mod, and has some shine to it

As far as the NAV and other bells/whistles, that's one area I'm a bit disappointed. Coming from a Prius, I can say that many items are pretty much identical. For example, the steering wheel control buttons, the rear-view camera, and the NAV software. This leaves me a bit disappointed since I expected a bigger difference between a Lexus and Toyota car. I wish the Lexus gave me more reason to switch over in this regard. Obviously the engine and overall refinement/interior are way better, but as far as interior options, since I'm so accustomed to them in my Prius, I'm not as excited and willing to shell out extra $$$.
Old 09-29-11, 03:24 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Hmmm well I was really thinking of saving some money buying used. The problem is, I want a 2011, which means I'll probably have to wait a while. I like the new taillights and LED strips. I know I know, the LED strips are kind of overdone, but they actually look good on the Lexus (unlike Chryslers and even Audis sometimes).

- Ultrasonic Blue - has always been my favorite, especially when it was exclusive on the IS-F

As far as the NAV and other bells/whistles, that's one area I'm a bit disappointed. Coming from a Prius, I can say that many items are pretty much identical. For example, the steering wheel control buttons, the rear-view camera, and the NAV software. This leaves me a bit disappointed since I expected a bigger difference between a Lexus and Toyota car. I wish the Lexus gave me more reason to switch over in this regard. Obviously the engine and overall refinement/interior are way better, but as far as interior options, since I'm so accustomed to them in my Prius, I'm not as excited and willing to shell out extra $$$.
I'd take a closer look at the 2IS, I've driven a few Priuses and Toyotas and while I notice some continuity in interior design for example between the brands, it's a night and day feel for me as far as luxury and ambiance are concerned.

I know you said you like the 2011, but is it really due just to the tail lights and LED strips? I would just try and weigh the trade-off of not having those two things but getting a great price on a reliable used 2008 or 2009 for example. You'll find threads on here of people with 2IS models with over 250,000 miles who have had almost no problems. Outside the common issues, it's a very reliable car. I'd still recommend an extended warranty though, simply because repairing anything on this car is expensive.

So I would just make sure you take a look at some older used ones, since aside from some minor styling differences, they're nearly identical to the new ones.
Old 09-29-11, 03:28 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 IS250 is getting me an average 21 mpg. Crappy mileage and not sure if it has to do with the AWD. I think if you want more power than your Prius and decent gas mileage, go test drive a Civic SI.
Old 09-29-11, 03:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster

When you say white is easy to mod. What do you mean? Because as the owner of a starfire pearl IS250, i'll tell you right now....getting parts painted to match your paint...is a b**** lol.
Old 09-29-11, 03:55 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
When you say white is easy to mod. What do you mean? Because as the owner of a starfire pearl IS250, i'll tell you right now....getting parts painted to match your paint...is a b**** lol.
White (even starfire pearl) is a noncolor. So things like black rims, carbon fiber hoods, black emblems. etc etc match well. These things also look good on silver and potentially ultrasonic blue (although that'd totally be boy racer).

Originally Posted by calvin2376
while I notice some continuity in interior design for example between the brands, it's a night and day feel for me as far as luxury and ambiance are concerned.
Oh and I know it. That's why I did say "overall refinement/interior are way better..."

Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-11, 04:07 PM
birador
Lead Lap

well prepare to spend more money on the pump!
Old 09-29-11, 04:17 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
2011 IS350 w/ F-Sport package, I would highly recommend it. It's expensive as hell, but well worth it. I'm so happy right now it's not even funny...

I still LOVE 2008 taillights. Too bad they changed it since then.

Another big thing about IS350 is the rarity. It's so rare in some states it's not even funny. But IS250's are everywhere..... I think it's even rarer than IS-F. I had to special order it. It's got Park Assist too.
You just got another IS350?

I thought you were bashing on the IS350 when you sold it for your MS3?

Quick Reply: Drove an IS for the first time ever