IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I buy the Lexus extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 08:46 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy the Lexus extended warranty?

I had it on my old 2006 IS350 but i'm not sure if I should get it on my current 2008. I drive 30,000 miles a year and about 85-90% of those miles are highway. I'm at 32,000 right now and in another 7-8 months i'll be at 50,000. I'm leaning more towards not getting it as i'll put another 50,000 on my car in a year and a half after I hit the 50k mark and I don't feel the $1700 to extend my warranty to 100k is worth it. Am I wrong or should I get it?
Old 09-19-11, 09:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I had it on my old 2006 IS350 but i'm not sure if I should get it on my current 2008. I drive 30,000 miles a year and about 85-90% of those miles are highway. I'm at 32,000 right now and in another 7-8 months i'll be at 50,000. I'm leaning more towards not getting it as i'll put another 50,000 on my car in a year and a half after I hit the 50k mark and I don't feel the $1700 to extend my warranty to 100k is worth it. Am I wrong or should I get it?

You can extend to as much as 125k miles with Lexus... that'd add 75k of coverage beyond the factory... but two things to consider:

For 30k a year that only gives you an 'extra' 2.5 years... and assuming you had the valve spring recall (and didn't get the gift card) you're already covered on powertrain to 100k so you're only "gaining" maybe a years worth there.

Is that worth it, especially given the higher mileage warranties (100 and moreso 125k) cost more?

Depends... if you have to replace the nav screen once it's worth it. If you have to fix the dimming dash needles and an ML sub or auto-tilt side mirror it's worth it... if your car is closer to a base model then probably not.... as I've plenty of confidence the engine will keep going well past 125k, but some of the fancier electronics not as much.
Old 09-19-11, 09:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the Lexus Platinum extended warranty is worth it if you get a discounted one from Troy Dietrich or other place.
If I keep my IS,I'll buy one.
Worth it for piece of mind.
Old 09-19-11, 10:18 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I think the Lexus Platinum extended warranty is worth it if you get a discounted one from Troy Dietrich or other place.
If I keep my IS,I'll buy one.
Worth it for piece of mind.
Well that's why i quoted the price of $1700. I bought my last warranty through him otherwise it would be well over $2k. Even then i have a hard time justfying the cost for such a short period of time.
Old 12-06-11, 06:10 PM
LJimmy
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to revive an old thread but i am in a similar position. Just bought an '08 IS250 MT. Has 48.9k miles on it. Coming close to 50 k and the dealer here wants 1700 to 75k extended and 2300 to 100k extended. pretty pricey i though.

They already changed the Service bulletin camshaft and changed out the water pump under warranty. That was well worth it.

Question is, Does anyone sell the warranty cheaper? Would it be worth it to buy the extended on this model?

I wont have cash available till January to decide. For now gotta drive short miles to postpone the decision ..

What are y'all 's thoughts?
Old 12-06-11, 06:35 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are absolutely insane and crazy if you don't. The hourly labor rate is outrageous to work on our cars and for the small amount to protect the 2nd biggest investment you will make in a lifetime besides a house it is worth it. As long as you plan to keep it for a while. Also if you sell the car before the warranty expires you receive a pro rated amount back. WIN WIN for you.
Old 12-06-11, 06:43 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Buy it. I will when I get closer to the end my warranty period. I will not own a modern car without a warranty.
Old 12-06-11, 07:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LJimmy
Sorry to revive an old thread but i am in a similar position. Just bought an '08 IS250 MT. Has 48.9k miles on it. Coming close to 50 k and the dealer here wants 1700 to 75k extended and 2300 to 100k extended. pretty pricey i though.

They already changed the Service bulletin camshaft and changed out the water pump under warranty. That was well worth it.

Question is, Does anyone sell the warranty cheaper? Would it be worth it to buy the extended on this model?

I wont have cash available till January to decide. For now gotta drive short miles to postpone the decision ..

What are y'all 's thoughts?
Jerry Johnson
Troy Dietrich
Toby Rivers

All 3 sell em way below most local dealer prices.

Quick search should turn up contact info on all 3... I'd get a quote from each and go with the cheapest (which for me was Jerry)

Be sure you know your in-service date to insure you don't miss the 4 year cutoff.
Old 12-06-11, 07:47 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ohface
You are absolutely insane and crazy if you don't. The hourly labor rate is outrageous to work on our cars and for the small amount to protect the 2nd biggest investment you will make in a lifetime besides a house it is worth it. As long as you plan to keep it for a while. Also if you sell the car before the warranty expires you receive a pro rated amount back. WIN WIN for you.
Definitely agree. Especially if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. Can't help but notice a few members have been posting issues on here after their warranty is up or after 100k miles. I have a CPO, got it in Sept at 46k miles just hit 50k today with my CPO warranty its 3 yrs/ 100k miles. Even I bought the extended warranty.
Old 12-06-11, 08:15 PM
LJimmy
Driver School Candidate

Where do i find the in-service date again.? Sorry for the newbness..
Old 12-06-11, 08:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LJimmy
Where do i find the in-service date again.? Sorry for the newbness..
it's the date the car was first sold... that might show on vehicle history at lexus.com if you register as an owner with the VIN (too lazy to check) but if not any dealer should be able to check it for you with the VIN.
Old 12-06-11, 11:04 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Definitely agree. Especially if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. Can't help but notice a few members have been posting issues on here after their warranty is up or after 100k miles. I have a CPO, got it in Sept at 46k miles just hit 50k today with my CPO warranty its 3 yrs/ 100k miles. Even I bought the extended warranty.
I am a Finance Director for one of the largest Toyota stores in the U.S and I have seen some of the craziest repairs on the most reliable cars in the market. ITS STILL A CAR WITH THOUSANDS OF SENSORS AND MECHANICAL MOVING COMPONENTS AND STUFF FAILS. Better to be safe than sorry and do me a favor never buy online. Always buy from a dealer. You have no recourse online.
Old 12-06-11, 11:31 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought mine from Troy a little while ago.

If you get it, don't be afraid to use it!

My rear view mirror had this haze... and my service rep replaced it under extended warranty. That thing got $1,000!

I also use it to replace my rear cup holder - $300-400

so far, it nearly paid for itself!
Old 12-06-11, 11:39 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I am a Finance Director for one of the largest Toyota stores in the U.S and I have seen some of the craziest repairs on the most reliable cars in the market. ITS STILL A CAR WITH THOUSANDS OF SENSORS AND MECHANICAL MOVING COMPONENTS AND STUFF FAILS. Better to be safe than sorry and do me a favor never buy online. Always buy from a dealer. You have no recourse online.
I agree definitely buy from your dealer. I get all these bs mail all the time saying your warranty on your vechicle is almost up act now etc. It's like they don't realize i just bought my CPO car in Sept with extended warranty
Old 12-07-11, 06:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

All of the online sellers I mention are dealers.

They're just charging a lot less than the local dealers are, because they're smart enough to know that a $50-each profit on a LOT of warranties is better for their bottom line than gouging people for $1000 per warranty for a small # of sales like most local dealers do.

Quick Reply: Should I buy the Lexus extended warranty?