IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sewell Prices went up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 06:35 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
I don't care why you all think the prices went up lol....I always look for the best deals for everything. I work hard for my money, so I'm not going to have to spend any more than I have to.

How many of you all went to the dealership and saw the MSRP for your Lexus and said "I know you guys have to make money, I'll take it for that good *** MSRP price!"

Not me. I was there for 6 hours trying to get the price I wanted!
What all the business majors that have posted is correct but at the end of the day this is how we all feel.

Last edited by B16da9; 08-23-11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 06:53 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sewell may be cheaper then your local dealerships, but dealerships have always known to mark up prices on EVERYTHING. Sewell does do a decent job by giving CL members discounts, but honestly if your buying something from Sewell your almost always a 'CL' member. Its not hard to sign up and claim your part of the forum...

Anyways like many of you, I'm appauled that there prices went up, I'm having a hard time believe that they are hurting at all, I mean they are the only dealer that supplies some out of production parts like our GFX kits. Personally I think Sewell is shady as hell cause there shipping is astranomical and personally I think they don't do very good business by marking up prices just because your specified OEM color needs to be painted, apposed to the other colors that they took the hit on by painting tons of these GFX peices due to demand...

Anyways I can care less honestly but I hate having to pay more for something when it was cheaper yesterday, I mean.. Who likes paying for something more when they're getting the same thing? Its my hard working money, just glad I decided not to put any more money into my slow 250. Honestly have better things to do with my money then put towards a 40K car. **** sewell.
Old 08-23-11, 08:27 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ That was just down right ignorant. How can you sit there and blast a vendor that is trying to provide CL members with a privilege we can't really get anywhere else? If we all start thinking like you Sewell will surely close its discounts to us and those of us who actually enjoy Sewell's discounts will be forced to pay dealer prices because of people like you.

Originally Posted by Degee
Sewell may be cheaper then your local dealerships, but dealerships have always known to mark up prices on EVERYTHING.
Be happy we HAVE Sewell to sell us things without the ridiculous mark ups. Would you rather Sewell take away our discounts and then be stuck paying dealership mark ups?

Originally Posted by Deegee
Anyways like many of you, I'm appauled that there prices went up, I'm having a hard time believe that they are hurting at all, I mean they are the only dealer that supplies some out of production parts like our GFX kits
Everyone is hurting right now. A lot of people are cutting down on expenses, modding included. I have no doubt Sewell is feeling the effects of a weak market.

Personally I think Sewell is shady as hell cause there shipping is astranomical and personally I think they don't do very good business by marking up prices just because your specified OEM color needs to be painted, apposed to the other colors that they took the hit on by painting tons of these GFX peices due to demand.
It's already been explained before by someone else. The shipping isn't just the actual cost from UPS/FedEX/USPS, it also includes the handling Sewell has to pay an employee to do to pick it out, package it correctly, print labels, etc and send it on its way. Right now, they are selling the F-Sport Exhaust for nearly $300 off and shipping is only $50 for the whole thing. That is not bad at all.

And as far as "marking up prices because your specified OEM color needs to be painted" I don't think Sewell is actually painting them. They sell unpainted and painted. Painted is obviously more expensive, its OEM paint from the factory thats been applied. Even if Sewell was painting the kits, we should be happy they are willing to paint the most popular colors for a kit that is now discontinued and no doubt they are using OEM paints to paint the kits if they are painting them.

Anyways I can care less honestly but I hate having to pay more for something when it was cheaper yesterday, I mean.. Who likes paying for something more when they're getting the same thing?
Seems like you actually care a lot about what Sewell is doing. Enough to say "**** Sewell"
Nobody likes paying more for the same thing, but you do it everyday filling gas, buying groceries, etc. Get over it, its a fact of life that certain things will continually be more and more expensive. If it bugs you, you should have bought it yesterday. O wait, but then it was cheaper the day before yesterday huh? -_-

Bottomline: If you don't like Sewell, don't buy from them. Pay your high prices at the dealer or go buy used parts. Let the rest of us that actually are thankful to Sewell for their discounts enjoy the discounts.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 08-23-11 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 08:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sewell may be cheaper then your local dealerships, but dealerships have always known to mark up prices on EVERYTHING. Sewell does do a decent job by giving CL members discounts, but honestly if your buying something from Sewell your almost always a 'CL' member. Its not hard to sign up and claim your part of the forum...

Anyways like many of you, I'm appauled that there prices went up, I'm having a hard time believe that they are hurting at all, I mean they are the only dealer that supplies some out of production parts like our GFX kits. Personally I think Sewell is shady as hell cause there shipping is astranomical and personally I think they don't do very good business by marking up prices just because your specified OEM color needs to be painted, apposed to the other colors that they took the hit on by painting tons of these GFX peices due to demand...

Anyways I can care less honestly but I hate having to pay more for something when it was cheaper yesterday, I mean.. Who likes paying for something more when they're getting the same thing? Its my hard working money, just glad I decided not to put any more money into my slow 250. Honestly have better things to do with my money then put towards a 40K car. **** sewell.

So you're upset that the place that sells the stuff far cheaper than anyone else is still selling it far cheaper, but a couple % more than it was yesterday.

I can't see how this doesn't sound like to anyone reading it is the thing.

It's not like they're the only place to buy the parts and they're now charging 5 times what they used to or something.
Old 08-23-11, 09:12 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people jus don't get it.

The gas comment was pretty funny
Old 08-23-11, 10:32 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never ordered from Sewell....yet....Mainly because their shipping is kinda high and everything I have wanted so far, another dealer has had for cheaper on EBAY!

It's nice they give us a discount. Yet you guys act like there not still making a killing off parts.

I'm not against making money. I work at a bank! Hell when the I HEART MY HONDA stickers came out....I purchased 100 of them for $50 bucks and sold them to locals for $5 each lol! Love making money, hate spending more than I have to!
Old 08-23-11, 10:44 AM
kingster
Pole Position

Default price beater

Originally Posted by istarzan
Any other sites like Sewell with better prices?
Well, I have bougth a few things here and there from sewell but I did noticed while shopping around for my 60k mile service kit Sewell had it for $142 and over the weekend it went up to $169 + $12 shipping. It is still not bad compare to some SO. Calif. dealerships. I did not give up and kept shopping around and found Superstition Spring Lexus in AZ that were willing to lower their prices and offer free shipping. Well, since I needed this parts ASAP, I sent their offer to a few dealerships in my area asking them to match their competitors prices and one replied whithin a couple of ours offering to match the following prices
1. plugs # 90919-01249 (6) $14.99ea. other dealerships up to $22ea.
2. oil filter # 04152-YZZA3 $4.46 other dealerships up to $9.00
3. Cabin Filter # 87139-07010 $31.61 other dealerships up to $37.00
4. Air filter #17801-31110 $19.55 other dealerships up to $27.00

So I did the math and figured out that these prices were cheaper than Sewell's new prices and I can pick them up and not wait for delivery.
Guys/Gals, if you have confirmed prices from any other Lexus dealership/vendor, just sent it to Longo Lexus El Monte preferably if you call and ask for Chris (nice guy) I will keep doing bunessiness with . He even offered me 7Qrts. of oil for $4.76ea. I paid in total $183 which was the same as Sewell's new prices but I got my items on the same day and was able to get engine oil as well. I paid my mechanic $60 and now my car is happy and so I am. Not bad!

Gook luck all
Old 08-23-11, 11:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Oh boy....Assuming you have a IS250/350...

$169 is WITHOUT the ClubLexus Discount. I just checked....Sewell has the 60k kit for $119.78 + $12 shipping = $131.78.

At the prices you got your paying...(not counting motor oil)...

$89.94 (6 spark plugs) + $4.46 oil filter + $31.61 cabin (rip off btw) + $19.55 air filter = $145.56
.....and your still missing the 2 bottles of Brake Fluid you need for the 60k service...
So your probably closer to $160 + TAX = ~$175.

For the same 60k service kit Sewell would be selling for $131.78 shipped. With 2 day shipping Sewell is still right under $160 shipped
(Since your in CA, Sewell doesn't charge Tax)
Old 08-23-11, 11:13 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Be happy we HAVE Sewell to sell us things without the ridiculous mark ups. Would you rather Sewell take away our discounts and then be stuck paying dealership mark ups?
I'll dip my toes into this a bit..

You do realize that there are numerous other companys out there on the web that sell the same thing Sewell does? You must not know how to use the internet very well because there are places that will sell you the cheaper parts, with free shipping.

It's already been explained before by someone else. The shipping isn't just the actual cost from UPS/FedEX/USPS, it also includes the handling Sewell has to pay an employee to do to pick it out, package it correctly, print labels, etc and send it on its way. Right now, they are selling the F-Sport Exhaust for nearly $300 off and shipping is only $50 for the whole thing. That is not bad at all.
So then going off your point here, do you think it makes sense they charge LESS for something that should cost MORE to ship due to size and weight? For instance why are they selling an exhaust thats '300' off and charging 50$ for shipping if it (according to you) takes more to package, weights more, and might possibly need TWO employee's to pick up such a part? But Sewell would like to charge 40$ to package a rear lip that probably weights less then 5 pounds, uses most likely one employee to go pickup, and label..? hmm wheres the logic here?

And as far as "marking up prices because your specified OEM color needs to be painted" I don't think Sewell is actually painting them. They sell unpainted and painted. Painted is obviously more expensive, its OEM paint from the factory thats been applied. Even if Sewell was painting the kits, we should be happy they are willing to paint the most popular colors for a kit that is now discontinued and no doubt they are using OEM paints to paint the kits if they are painting them.
Please show me where they sell unpainted GFX parts, i'd love to purchase them. Not sure why you mentioned painting them is more expensive, we both know this. My point is, they are marking up a different color code substantionally because they can, and for what? A can of paint can't possibly cost more then 140$?

Seems like you actually care a lot about what Sewell is doing. Enough to say "**** Sewell"
Nobody likes paying more for the same thing, but you do it everyday filling gas, buying groceries, etc. Get over it, its a fact of life that certain things will continually be more and more expensive. If it bugs you, you should have bought it yesterday. O wait, but then it was cheaper the day before yesterday huh? -_-
Not trying to sound dramatic but you realize that gas, groceries, electricity, etc. isn't the same as car parts? Would you pay more for the same thing knowing that you could of gotten it cheaper? No probably not, you'll keep searching until you find the right price that fits your budget. Look all I'm saying is that Sewell is sketchy and they mark up a lot of there stuff. Thats why I don't buy from Sewell anymore, there are many other online dealers than Sewell.

Somebody give KillaIs250 a Sewell job, he can really push there 'discounts'

Last edited by Deegee; 08-23-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 11:22 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Wow the crying going on about the minor markup in pricing... You USA guys are lucky to have Sewell. Up here in Canada, there are no such vendors so we are paying full markup at all the dealerships.

I'm glad Sewell is a vendor here since we can buy from them and pick up the item at a warehouse across the border. Last time I checked, a Canadian dealer quoted me over $300 for the springs (think it was $325, which converts to $328 USD). Be glad you can order from Sewell for $222 after CL discount.
Old 08-23-11, 11:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like Sewell.
I just placed a $164 order after Club discount.
Shipping for a single item is pricey at over $10 but I ordered 4 items and the shipping was $11.89.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-23-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 11:53 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Man i REALLYY did not wanna argue on all your damn points, but you made me...

Originally Posted by deegee
You do realize that there are numerous other companys out there on the web that sell the same thing Sewell does? You must not know how to use the internet very well because there are places that will sell you the cheaper parts, with free shipping.
Obviously I know sites "similar" to Sewell exist. Although there are numerous places, few of them will be as cheap as Sewell, few will offer great customer service as Sewell does, and I can probably safely say that NONE of them are helping support ClubLexus as a registered vendor. Don't forget, vendors like Sewell are the reason we can enjoy Clublexus freely. They also have to give a little back to the site at the end of the day.

So then going off your point here, do you think it makes sense they charge LESS for something that should cost MORE to ship due to size and weight? For instance why are they selling an exhaust thats '300' off and charging 50$ for shipping if it (according to you) takes more to package, weights more, and might possibly need TWO employee's to pick up such a part? But Sewell would like to charge 40$ to package a rear lip that probably weights less then 5 pounds, uses most likely one employee to go pickup, and label..? hmm wheres the logic here?
Another example of your ignorance. Have you shipped anything large by UPS/FedEX lately? There's something called "Dimensional Weight" used by the shipping companies. It takes into account the dimensions of the package rather than just the weight. Shipping companies realized they lost out on large packages that don't weigh much (I.E. rear lip) but where still more difficult to ship/organize/sort. So dimensional weight exists. They charge more for larger dimension packages if the weight doesn't meet a minimum requirement but is still large. So a heavy and long exhaust doesn't cost that much more than a light weight (but still long) rear lip.

For your Knowledge.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_weight

Please show me where they sell unpainted GFX parts, i'd love to purchase them. Not sure why you mentioned painting them is more expensive, we both know this. My point is, they are marking up a different color code substantionally because they can, and for what? A can of paint can't possibly cost more then 140$?
Not sure about other model years, but looking at 2007, they do have a unpainted front GFX lip. Yes its expensive, and Yes its because you probably won't find an unpainted OEM front lip in many places. Sewell is the only place i've seen that has one for sale.

And wow you just don't understand.... They can mark up a color code "substantially" as you say, if the demand is higher. Goes back to what i've been saying this whole time...its discontinued OEM that is in demand. I'm not going to argue again why OEM painted is expensive. And I still don't think Sewell is the one painting them. They are just adjusting prices based on demand and limited (discontinued) supply of an item. Just like any other for-profit business would do.

Not trying to sound dramatic but you realize that gas, groceries, electricity, etc. isn't the same as car parts? Would you pay more for the same thing knowing that you could of gotten it cheaper? No probably not, you'll keep searching until you find the right price that fits your budget. Look all I'm saying is that Sewell is sketchy and they mark up a lot of there stuff. Thats why I don't buy from Sewell anymore, there are many other online dealers than Sewell.
If you miss an opportunity to buy something cheap, you missed the opportunity. It's nobodies fault but your own for not buying it when it was cheap "yesterday". After the price has gone up...you can either wait for it to go down again, or accept its gone up for whatever reason and just move on. If a few dollars is that damaging to your budget, you probably shouldn't be modding your car (or driving a Lexus for that matter). If it's an item i was going to get, I'll pay a few dollars even if it was cheaper yesterday. I don't have to keep checking prices, and i'll move on my with my life and enjoy more moments with my family rather than shopping around constantly to save a few $$ that isn't going to destroy me. Which makes me wonder why I'm writing this to someone who probably won't get it anyways...

If you think Sewell is "sketchy" for marking up items because of demand, increased cost from suppliers, Etc. your gonna have a lot of issues with most of the businesses you will be buying things from in the future.

Again, if you don't want to buy from Sewell, don't.
But don't sit there and put a good vendor on blast when many of us enjoy the reduced prices, awesome customer service and support Sewell provides to Clublexus.
Old 08-23-11, 12:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll dip my toes into this a bit..

then why are you complaining about sewell?

if, as you claim, there's other places that are cheaper with free shipping, you'd be buying from THEM instead, right?

You really can't imagine why a lip might take more packaging and protection than a stainless steel exhaust system and that might make its costs higher than you'd expect from a "lightweight" part?

seriously?

It's also possible some parts come directly from them and others are drop shipped from a supplier, which would also account for a difference in shipping cost between items. Plus the whole dimensional weight thing.

My point is, they are marking up a different color code substantionally because they can, and for what? A can of paint can't possibly cost more then 140$?
You think they're just taking a $5 can of spray paint from walmart and hosing down a part to change its color if they don't have any left of the color you want?

or do you think maybe they're using factory paint (possibly even of a color that Lexus doesn't make anymore), and having someone actually, properly, paint the thing, which costs money for the labor, plus the clean space to do the work, etc...

Again though, if you think you can do it cheaper than buy the cheaper color and you repaint it.

Since you aren't doing this perhaps it really does cost something to do all that?

Not trying to sound dramatic
too late...

but you realize that gas, groceries, electricity, etc. isn't the same as car parts?
In what ways?

All of them cost something to produce, modify, transport, etc... and the costs can change over time.

One difference I guess is you don't need car parts... yet that seems to be the one thing you are complaining about, despite they fact they have gone up far less than those other items.

Would you pay more for the same thing knowing that you could of gotten it cheaper? No probably not, you'll keep searching until you find the right price that fits your budget. Look all I'm saying is that Sewell is sketchy and they mark up a lot of there stuff.
Really? Like what?

Can you cite which things you can get significantly cheaper elsewhere? With links to those things cheaper?

Thats why I don't buy from Sewell anymore, there are many other online dealers than Sewell.
again, whom? and please show us a link to their easy to use online catalog while you're at it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-23-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 12:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Degee
Not trying to sound dramatic
Originally Posted by Kurtz
too late...
Good stuff
Old 08-23-11, 12:20 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I've stated my opinion, be content with the facts

Its quite hilarious how passionate you guys get over a post, It's a cold hard fact that Sewell charges are going up and thats that... I've found PLENTY of places to purchase parts from that saved me $$, which is why I shopped else where.

Please move on, nothing to see here.

Kurts, you realize my post was not pointed directly at you, therfor your reading my post out of context, I'd be more than happy to show you various websites, but what does that prove really? I'm stating that Sewell isn't the only place on the web for the "ultimate best price for lexus is!!" anyways... goodluck

Quick Reply: Sewell Prices went up?