IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECT PWR switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 11:51 AM
jay-b
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it turns on the stock nitrous haha...no really, read above, i perfer it when im in traffic and need to pass on the highway.
Old 08-04-11, 01:03 PM
350FSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
How is what I said misleading? I stated an undisputable fact.
What I meant was, the unqualified statement that "ECT PWR makes your car slower" is misleading because it is not meant to "make it faster". I changes the throttle response, period. Your statement was qualified so I misquoted.
Old 08-04-11, 01:42 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think power mode is best for tracking and corning but not for straight line races. Notice the rpm stays at a higher rpm longer(where most of our power are at 306hp@6400 and 277lb@4800). For example.. taking corners and rapidly braking and pressing the gas again. That's where power mode comes in handle.. faster throttle respond and staying at a higher rpm longer than normal mode. Normal mode win in a straight line cause it changes gear sooner than power mode. That's my theory.
Old 08-04-11, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
It gives quicker and more acceleration when it's turned on. Some don't feel a difference, but I do.
BTW, if you're trying to save gas...don't use it.
Some folks have seen improved fuel economy using both snow and ect pwr modes. It just depends on your driving style
Old 08-04-11, 01:48 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
Normal mode win in a straight line cause it changes gear sooner than power mode. That's my theory.
Normal ECT is actually faster in a straight line WOT for the exact opposite reason, it holds gears longer. Power ECT shifts too soon, losing out on some of the power curve.

Where is Kurtz? I'm too lazy to look up the charts and diagram he always posts when this thread topic comes up.
Old 08-04-11, 02:07 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Normal ECT is actually faster in a straight line WOT for the exact opposite reason, it holds gears longer. Power ECT shifts too soon, losing out on some of the power curve.

Where is Kurtz? I'm too lazy to look up the charts and diagram he always posts when this thread topic comes up.

You're correct. Higher RPM doesn't mean higher power. The 350's peak HP is at 4200 RMP...and I can definitely feel the power band there.

So a higher shift point can essentially mean more time spent at lower HP.

Also, in ETC power, after you rapidly accelerate, the RPM's will stay at an elevated level as if its preparing to accelerate again.

Lastly, ETC power will downshift more aggressively when heavy braking as if its preparing you to accelerate out of a turn after braking before it.

So here is how I view ETC (Personal):

Normal ETC: Every day driving, and Drag racing if you're into that.

ETC Power: Track. Track. A more track feel around the road if you want that. Makes getting worse gas mileage easier...but not automatically worse MPG

ETC Snow: Snow. Also good for traffic. smoother starts. Makes getting better MPG easier...but not automatically better MPG
Old 08-04-11, 02:26 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

So does anyone have any experience with their IS250 RWD in the snow with the ECT button on the snow setting? I've driven my S2000 in the snow and it's pretty interesting. I had my heart set on RWD for the IS, wonder how much of a pain it will be this winter.
Old 08-04-11, 03:04 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

ECT Power also quickens gear changes, ie the speed at which the clutch packs engages.
Old 08-04-11, 05:17 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
So does anyone have any experience with their IS250 RWD in the snow with the ECT button on the snow setting? I've driven my S2000 in the snow and it's pretty interesting. I had my heart set on RWD for the IS, wonder how much of a pain it will be this winter.
If you do a search on IS250 AWD, Kurtz posted a lot of info on it.

What really makes wonder in driving in snow conditions is the TIRE. A good set of snow tires will outhandle any AWD with the wrong set of tires. Good skills and snow tires will do it for many people.

Only a very few people live in conditions where AWD is a must have.

As Kurtz stated, AWD are heavier so required more force to move and stop. You save gas with RWD, you are faster with RWD, and with a good set of snow tires you drive better. Plus you save $$$

Get RWD and be happy
Old 08-05-11, 08:43 AM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Some folks have seen improved fuel economy using both snow and ect pwr modes. It just depends on your driving style
That's true
Old 08-10-11, 11:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry am on vacation with about 0 net access cept for a stop today with a little bit... will be back by sunday-ish

Both myself and Lobuxracer have posted exactly what ECT-power does from the new car features section in TIS though, should be easy to find from one of us with a search.
Old 08-10-11, 11:48 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

On a IS250...absolutely nothing! J/K!
Old 08-10-11, 04:47 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evogt500
ECT Power also quickens gear changes, ie the speed at which the clutch packs engages.
Where did you come up with that? No it does not.
Old 08-10-11, 08:26 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
it sucked for me or maybe because the snow was too soft my wheel kept spinning and plus i had summer tire on too
Old 08-13-11, 07:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Sorry am on vacation with about 0 net access cept for a stop today with a little bit... will be back by sunday-ish

Both myself and Lobuxracer have posted exactly what ECT-power does from the new car features section in TIS though, should be easy to find from one of us with a search.
and....I'm back.

Here's the post in question with exactly what ECT-power does:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3305550-post10.html

Quick Reply: ECT PWR switch?