IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 11:45 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
So you decided you didn't like the Blitz huh ? Are you going to try the CF inserts for the front emblem to match the ones on your trunk?
Yeah, the Blitz mesh was a little too small for my liking - I was told on more than one occasion it looked like something you'd catch bugs with. It also bothered me that you could really see the engine bay stuff behind the grille. Interestingly, this eBay grille has more of an OEM-like fitment than the Blitz.

Yeah, I plan to add the CF emblem insert, which I'll probably order tonight. I'll post pics when it's all done.

Originally Posted by armstronga
i will take a few close up shots later today. All i know is that it is a porsche color, I told the guy what I was looking for and that is what he came up with...
Thanks for taking more pics. Is the color best described as dark silver, or gunmetal? Have you considered painting the lower grille the same color to match?

Last edited by brociouz; 05-31-11 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-24-11, 01:01 PM
armstronga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope it helps guys,I told the painter I wanted it not as dark as gunmetal but not as light as silver so dark silver is perfect..

Name:  IMG_0701.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0704.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0705.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  74.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0708.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 05-24-11, 01:07 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i will take a few close up shots later today. All i know is that it is a porsche color, I told the guy what I was looking for and that is what he came up with...
I am seriously considering buying this grille now ... Love the way yours turned out

Do you know the color code your painter used? (Or can you get it?)

Thanks
Old 05-24-11, 01:18 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Hope it helps guys,I told the painter I wanted it not as dark as gunmetal but not as light as silver so dark silver is perfect...
Wow, that looks REALLY good actually . I no longer know if I want to attempt to spray mine myself!

+1 on getting the paint code please!
Old 05-24-11, 02:43 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Wow, looks awesome! Nice work. Now we're all going to bite off you.
Old 05-24-11, 08:00 PM
armstronga
Rookie

Wow, that looks REALLY good actually . I no longer know if I want to attempt to spray mine myself!

+1 on getting the paint code please!
The thing guys is i'm never on that side of town. It just so happened that I had to drop my sister's car off at the shop with her because she got into a minor accident. If I ever get time, or visit my sister i'll stop by..
Old 05-24-11, 10:08 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, no worries, thanks for trying! I managed to snap some close up pictures of another member's ISF grille and have been using that as a basis for color comparison.

Thanks for posting pictures though, I'm glad to see that it indeed looks much better painted!
Old 05-24-11, 11:21 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing guys is i'm never on that side of town. It just so happened that I had to drop my sister's car off at the shop with her because she got into a minor accident. If I ever get time, or visit my sister i'll stop by..
Thanks.

Have you tried calling? It would be easier than going all the way there.
Old 05-31-11, 01:08 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Default Painted!

So, I got a chance to paint the grille this weekend. Here's a bit of documentation .

After removing the grille, I proceeded to tape up the emblem area.
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille1.jpg
(1. Because I reeeaally didn't want to remove the emblem. 2. Because I've never been particularly fond of the lines behind the emblem and decided to leave them black so they're less visible.)

I picked up a can of DupliColor automotive paint in Graphite Grey Metal from Auto Zone:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille2.jpg
*I'd snapped a photo of an ISF grille and went in with this in an attempt to color match.

I also purchased some 150 grit sandpaper from Home Depot:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille3.jpg
This ended up being way too much. I used about half a sheet and lightly sanded as much as I could. You can fold smaller strips of the sandpaper to fit in the open areas of the "mesh" to sand it.

After sanding it, I washed it with water and dried it off with a towel. Because I wanted to be extra sure that there would be a good clean surface for the paint to adhere to, I used some Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the grooves of the mesh:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille4.jpg

Since I didn't want to get any paint on the lines behind the emblem, I taped up the backside as well:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille5.jpg

Last edited by Lexitegra; 05-31-11 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 01:08 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Default Painted Part 2

After all the prep work, I used a blow dryer to remove any remaining water/moisture (you don't want to paint a wet surface).

Now the fun part! Here's what it looked like after 1 coat:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille6.jpg

I ended up doing 3 coats on the front and 1 generous coat on the back. I let it dry for about half an hour between coats.

For the purpose of color comparison, here's a close-up of the grille before:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille7.jpg

Here's a close-up of the grille after:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille8.jpg

Reinstalled on the car:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille9.jpg

Another Angle:
IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-grille11.jpg

The grille no longer disappears into the shadows because the metallic flecks in the paint pick up light and reflect it. I very much prefer this to the plain black plastic! The paint was about $8 and the sandpaper was about $4. I'm not sure how well this will hold up but since it was extremely easy to do, I wouldn't mind having to respray it. I liked the grille before, I now love it!

Last edited by Lexitegra; 05-31-11 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 06:02 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Awesome work! LOVE the attention to detail (Q-tips, surgical gloves, etc.).

Have you considered painting the lower grille to match? My only concern in doing so is that it might highlight the fact that the mesh pattern isn't identical.
Old 05-31-11, 10:42 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brociouz

Have you considered painting the lower grille to match? My only concern in doing so is that it might highlight the fact that the mesh pattern isn't identical.
+1 on the AWESOME work!

I think leaving the lower grill a different color is a good idea for the exact reason you stated. The top grill stands out, but you don't see that the mesh pattern isn't identical.

Sidenote: I've been offline for awhile. Has anyone found a carbon fiber or solid emblem to cover up the horizontal lines?
Old 05-31-11, 10:58 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz

Haha, thanks! I actually don't plan on painting the lower grille for that exact reason...because it doesn't match! I guess you could always try it and paint it black again if you don't like it (or photoshop if you have those skills). I'm an annoyingly matchy matchy person, so I don't intend to .

Have you gotten your CF insert yet? If you go BP on the front emblem, will you go BP all around?
Old 05-31-11, 11:09 AM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely respect your attention to detail. Great work btw, it turned out perfect...Didn't you have your finals last week? For you to squeeze in this DIY makes you a champ

Brociouz, when you do paint the lower grille, would you kindly disclose the removal process. I hope it does not require bumper removal.
Old 05-31-11, 11:53 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by rebs
Has anyone found a carbon fiber or solid emblem to cover up the horizontal lines?
I have a carbon fiber emblem ordered and will hopefully receive it within 2 weeks. http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2049 I'll post pics when everything is done.

Another possibility to cover up the lines might be using the radar cruise control front emblem since IIRC it's a flat and solid disc, but I personally don't like the look of it.

Haha, thanks! I actually don't plan on painting the lower grille for that exact reason...because it doesn't match! I guess you could always try it and paint it black again if you don't like it (or photoshop if you have those skills). I'm an annoyingly matchy matchy person, so I don't intend to .

Have you gotten your CF insert yet? If you go BP on the front emblem, will you go BP all around?
Imagine how great it would be if Option Racing made a matching lower grille. Is anyone from that company reading this?

Once again, you're just like me - OCD FTW. Given what you and rebs are saying I'll definitely keep it matte black for now. At least when the lower is matte black it doesn't attract attention.

CF insert is en route. I've decided to go with a chrome emblem instead of BP. I like the contrast of chrome, the fact that it matches all the other chrome on my car, and if I paint the grille a gunmetal-like color I think it would blend too much. The chrome also makes my CF emblem inserts really pop.

Originally Posted by suxeLSI003
Brociouz, when you do paint the lower grille, would you kindly disclose the removal process. I hope it does not require bumper removal.
I'm not going to paint it anymore but I'll check out the lower grille nonetheless since I'm considering something entirely different for it. I'm pretty sure it requires bumper removal though.

Quick Reply: IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!