ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Windshield Replacement (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/562160-windshield-replacement.html)

mvlbr 04-11-11 10:12 AM

Contact your insurance and tell them you want it replaced at the dealer with an OEM glass and see what they say. I say this because not every insurance covers OEM it's all in fine print. I know my dealer told me that countless numbers of ppl would show up to get the windshield replaced only to have the insurance approve only aftermarket glass since OEM is +$900 glass alone.

kumquatism 04-11-11 02:40 PM

My old windshield had to be replaced, so I got a Pilkington replacement for it. My uncle's TL got a PPG windshield in his. Both have been fine thus far, no problems to note. Try to go for OEM though.

Gville350 04-20-11 12:34 PM

With the state of SC, it is a mandate that insurance companies pay for the windshield replacement in full...but only if you have "full coverage".

I too would recommend an OEM replacement, but heard good things about Pilkington & PPG too.

GL bro, and don't piss off those ladies next time! ;)

my95tsi 04-20-11 02:57 PM

The OP has State Farm and i've had them for years. They will not replace with OEM Lexus glass, it's in your policy if you read the fine print. State Farm will only replace with a comparable aftermarket glass. Fight it if you want but I guarantee you'll see the same results that I did. :egads:

Mysta 04-20-11 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by my95tsi (Post 6327044)
The OP has State Farm and i've had them for years. They will not replace with OEM Lexus glass, it's in your policy if you read the fine print. State Farm will only replace with a comparable aftermarket glass. Fight it if you want but I guarantee you'll see the same results that I did. :egads:

Yeah, I ended up having to get Pilkington, looks exactly the same minus the Lexus logo at the bottom.(I sat there for like 5 minutes and compared thickness, color, surface, black part that goes around it, lol)

Ah well. =(

Gville350 04-20-11 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mysta (Post 6327129)
Yeah, I ended up having to get Pilkington, looks exactly the same minus the Lexus logo at the bottom.(I sat there for like 5 minutes and compared thickness, color, surface, black part that goes around it, lol)

Ah well. =(

But you didn't pay a dime did you?

So what was that huge star caused by...any thoughts?

pfdaxe 04-20-11 09:26 PM

Pilkington is owned by Nippon glass of Japan. If you look at your Lexus glass, it's made by Nippon. Hence....the same company and quality.

Mysta 04-21-11 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gville350 (Post 6327592)
But you didn't pay a dime did you?

So what was that huge star caused by...any thoughts?

No clue, either someone random that thought it'd be hilarious. Or I was hit by a rock going down the road, didn't hear or notice it. And then it froze/cracked over night. Though, I stare my car down when I go to get in it, I notice any details off immediately.

Originally Posted by pfdaxe (Post 6328125)
Pilkington is owned by Nippon glass of Japan. If you look at your Lexus glass, it's made by Nippon. Hence....the same company and quality.

Yeah I had read something like that. Hopefully the 'Loyal Customer" sticker they put on will sort of cover up the Pilkington;)