IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anything I need to know for my new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 11:02 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything I need to know for my new car

IS350C -- I just heard from my dealer that they now have visibility into Lexus' system on the car I ordered and we should be receiving it in mid-April. I will be picking up a 2011 IS350C in Matador Red Mica / Alabaster. Other than claying and waxing asap, is there anything else I should be doing or need to know.
Thanks,
Bill.
Old 03-25-11, 11:08 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope not really. Nice choice on the MRM
Old 03-25-11, 11:57 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Red and convertible ? better get yourself a radar detector good investment lolz
Old 03-25-11, 11:57 AM
bencronin
Rookie

We're supposed to clay/wax them new?
Old 03-25-11, 12:48 PM
yangster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bencronin
We're supposed to clay/wax them new?
I ran a thread in the Special Interest Group - Auto Care and Detailing. Check it out. According to the responses, they all recommend claying and waxing the car immediately. Wax recommendation was Collinite 845. Never heard of it, but I went out and got some.

LOL on the radar detector. The car is for the wife, and she doesn't speed. Of course, I'll have to watch myself when I'm in it. Can't tell you how many times my laser jammer has saved me in my MB and BMW (b4 the MB).

Last edited by yangster; 03-25-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-25-11, 12:51 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yangster
I ran a thread in the Special Interest Group - Auto Care and Maint. Check it out. According to the responses, they all suggesting claying and waxing the car immediately.
mmmm, I would expect new car, new paint... no need to do all that yet.
Old 03-25-11, 12:54 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Yup, Clay Bar is when you want a deep clean to remove the particles embeded into the clear coat.

A new car shouldn't have any of that. If you rub your hand after washing your car, you'll feel tiny bumps. Those bumps are dirt particles trapped in the clear coat. After clar bar, it's smooth as baby silk.
Old 03-25-11, 01:02 PM
bencronin
Rookie

Originally Posted by shadowman
Yup, Clay Bar is when you want a deep clean to remove the particles embeded into the clear coat.

A new car shouldn't have any of that. If you rub your hand after washing your car, you'll feel tiny bumps. Those bumps are dirt particles trapped in the clear coat. After clar bar, it's smooth as baby silk.
Exactly. Also the clay bar removes some of the clear.....so not really sure why they told you to clay it when you first got it. Maybe if it was used? I picked mine up with 7 miles. She won't see clay until 10K if not later.
Old 03-28-11, 05:27 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Correction: Comments were to be sure to do the plastic baggie test and then do the clay if necessary. Concern is with to be sure to have a clean car before the first application of wax. Also, since a lot of cars are delivered by rail, they could be a lot of rail dust imbedded which certainly makes sense. Either way, I'll do the baggie test and then clay if necessary.
Old 03-28-11, 05:33 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrat's on your new car!!! Nothing to do but wax it and enjoy it!!!

+1 for Collinite as yes get wax on it asap to protect that soft paint from birds and the environment.
Old 03-28-11, 07:53 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest investing in a clear bra. Biggest regret I have with my car. It's pricey but worth it!
Old 03-28-11, 08:23 AM
crc333
Driver School Candidate

Thinking out loud....I'm not sure why your dealers detail department can't get your new car perfect for you the day you pick it up. At our dealership every new car we deliver the paint is perfect the day the car leaves the dealership. As the story goes, that is the last day the paint will be that nice!

Two things...I've not heard of a clay bar removing clear, and the need to clay a new car.

If that is the case then my wifes '03 blk Protege 5 should not have any clear on it since I clay bar the car once before summer and once before winter. No marks, no swirls just a smooth like new feeling after I spend the a better part of the day claying and waxing her car. Last like Sffd103 said...get the clear bra you can get! It will protect your paint headlights and the back of your mirrors.
Old 03-28-11, 10:44 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

+1 on the clear bra. Paint on the IS will chip if you look at it the wrong way...

the stupid previous owner put one on after she got chips so now mine are locked in unless I want to go through the hassle of replacing the bra

clay does not remove clear and even new cars may need it to remove rail dust or overspray
some ppl also use Iron X. I recommend it for any owner of a white car.
Old 03-29-11, 07:16 PM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Grats on the vert. Love mine. I would clay your car and get the wax/sealant of your choice on it pronto. When you get it, it will have sat in a lot outside the factory, been on a boat, been on a train, sat in a railyard, and then a truck to the dealer. It's going to pick up a contaminant or two along the way.

I would NOT let the dealer detail it in any form or fashion. Knew better but let my dealer talk me into it (policy yada yada). They installed so many swirls in it, it was ridiculous. Most dealers have high volume detail shops that use products that hide more than correct anything in your paint. Start out with good detailing from the start and you never get them in the first place. I can remember cringing at delivery as I watched the salesman dragging a dry cotton cloth across the ultrasonic blue mica paint.
Old 03-29-11, 08:10 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

congrats on the new ride, nice color choice

Quick Reply: Anything I need to know for my new car