IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any previous mercedes owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 09:49 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite a C, but had a 08 E350 with AMG pkg, ride quality and cabin quietness beat IS easily, unfortunately the 268HP with heavy weight really slows it down. Both are great cars.
Old 02-09-11, 11:44 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive owned a
99 C230 Kompressor: No problem till I hit 150K miles, not major problem just the air flow meter.
05 C230 Kompressor: Never had any problem, sold at 96K miles
06 E350: Sold only because I didnt like the color. Car is amazing, I know the power isnt as much or as quick as my IS350 but the ride and noise quality is much much better. My E-class had airmatic suspension and basically all the options in my IS(except cooling seats) + massage seats.
Got the C300 as a loaner. It was a great car so I imagine the C350 is much nicer.
Old 02-09-11, 11:53 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im college right now, and trust me, with the rising cost of books and tuition, I wouldn't take the risk and buy ANY german car. I'd go with the lexus, especially if you are buying it to keep and drive for a while...
Old 02-10-11, 12:52 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 02 c230 coupe. that car will always hold a special spot in my heart. It was pretty reliably, at about 50k the only thing i ever had a problem with was the rear shade for the panoramic roof would get stuck mid way and a light tap would open it up when jammed.

I wish i still had that car but i crashed it into a pole by driving like a idiot. But going from that the 2IS is really nice, great reliability (recalls aside).

My fond memories of my old C aside, both are great cars, but before buying mine i felt the inside of a C felt like crap, didnt have the solid feel i had in my 02 (believe it or not) and while the outside is nice, i feel the 2is has a better balance and more tech toys.
Old 02-10-11, 02:36 AM
DAZ1
Rookie

My wife and I currently have two MBs. Hers is a 2006 SLK 350 and mine is a 2005 SLK 55. Both cars are low mileage and with a combined total nine years of ownership, only one problem with hers. Simple fix under warranty. I can't speak for all models, but the SLK is very reliable. That's our experience and as a member of a SLK forum for four years. The E55 is notorious for having numerous problems. My understanding, with the with Chrysler partnership, quality suffered. I understand it's much better now according to JD Power. I've always heard that the Lexus is very reliable. When looking for a replacement for my 2004 Mazda6, I never seriously considered a MB. I've been a Lexus fan for years and my replacement choice was easy. MB has a long history and produces some good cars.
Attached Thumbnails Any previous mercedes owners out there?-p5190005-1.jpg  
Old 02-10-11, 06:14 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00LexusGS3
on a scale 1-10 what would u rate ur Lex compared to ur Benz?
That's very hard, given that an '03 E55 AMG and '07 IS350 are so different in every respect. The way I'd approach it is overall enjoyment of the car/pleasure with purchase.

In that case I'd say MB was a 3. I never got to enjoy the car because I was always afraid to drive it hard. Literally every morning I woke up and went out to my car I was scared to turn it on, in case there was a new noise or malfunction message that would cost me $$$. In addition, the car was in the shop for half the time I owned it. As far as pleasure with purchase, I've never suffered more buyer's remorse. Keep in mind this was a car with a 469hp supercharged V8...should have been better than a 3.

I've only owned the Lexus for 3 weeks, so it may be premature, but I'd rate it as an 8. I love the features (bluetooth, nav, rear camera, etc), the styling (I have GFX kit), the sound (F-sport exhaust), and the power makes it very fun and plenty quick for the driving I do. In addition it's CPO, so any issues I may have (though I'm not anticipating many) will be covered. I also had great interactions with the dealer I purchased the car from and the dealer nearby me.
Old 02-11-11, 02:43 PM
yangster
Pit Crew

I have a 09 E350. Prior to that an 07 BMW 335i. I call the MB an Old Farts Car. If your looking for a cruiser, it's a great hiway car. Big n heavy. The BMW was also a great car, handled like it was on rails and fast. The MB is now 18 months old, and has been in the shop once for a new gas tank. Apparently the sending unit for the dash guage is inside the tank and if it goes out, you have to replace the tank. Other than that, no problems. I'll probably replace this with a BMW Z4 or a Jag XK. BTW, we just ordered an IS350C in Matador Red/Alabaster for the wife. Had to special order, a real pain and they don't offer the Luxury Package in the Alabaster trim. WTF! Not a good way to start my second Lexus experience. My first was **** poor with the Soccer Mom car - 2000 RX300. Had it for 9 months and traded it in for a real sport utility - Yukon--LOL. Anyway, I think the MB quality issues have been improved. There are stories with each. From what I have heard, German for driving experience, Japan for luxury.
Old 02-12-11, 09:06 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MB AMG's use Chrysler parts??? Im almost positive thats not true. I know their Non-AMG cars do (Pacifica = R350, etc...) but, Im pretty sure the hand-built MB's do not share any parts with Chrysler. I will however agree that Lexus is hands down the leader in reliability and SERVICE!! Dude, I have owned so many different make of cars, it will make your head spin...not to mention motorcycles too. All I can say is that from my experience, Japanese cars out perform any other brand of cars out there in terms of reliability. Sure, the AMG have 600HP and what not, but Lexus is just cracking open their sports car vault. Soon, there will be a "F" line-up of all their models. Don't get me wrong, I have had some issues with my 2007 IS350, but 90% were recalls (voluntary) and the dealer treated me like a KING all the time. My car is in the shop now, and im confident they will fix it right...like they have always done. Btw, of all the cars I have ever owned, the only ones still with me are Toyota's and Lexus's....hmmm weird huh???
Old 02-23-11, 02:34 PM
alk3997
Driver School Candidate

Actually we compared the E-class rag-top (actually a very quiet rag-top) convertable with the IS350C. I know it isn't what anyone wants to do but the comparison of expected depreciation and cost of ownership over 5 years showed a large difference. The IS350C came out ahead by a wide margin. Many websites will compute depreciation estimates over 5 years for new cars.

For us, the use of Sirius on MB versus XM on Lexus was surprisingly also a deciding factor. No baseball play-by-play on Sirius (I'll bet some people who might read this will know who this is by that comment) - only on XM.
Old 02-23-11, 03:04 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh. 5 years and a large difference. Good to know.
Old 02-23-11, 05:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a current and past owner of several Mercedes vehicles.

The redesigned current gen C-class is very reliable and far more reliable than Mercedes models of the last decade. You can largely ignore a lot of the hearsay/legends/fokelore based on casual observations about prior generations. Currently I have a C300 and IS350, both cars have advantages. They are very different cars, both are comfortable, reliable, well built and quick.
Old 02-23-11, 05:56 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Currently I have a C300 and IS350, both cars have advantages. They are very different cars, both are comfortable, reliable, well built and quick.
One question....isn't the C300 designed in Germany and made in Canada? I believe it is....with the exception of the C63 AMG. At least the IS350 is 100% purebred from Japan....and most anything from Japan from simple DVD players to High-End sports cars are nothing short of Top Notch! Just my two cents...
Old 02-23-11, 09:53 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexIS007
One question....isn't the C300 designed in Germany and made in Canada?...
German designed and made

My 2 cent look at a BMW if you go to europe the taxi's are MB like have a Lincoln as a taxi
Old 02-23-11, 10:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexIS007
One question....isn't the C300 designed in Germany and made in Canada? I believe it is....with the exception of the C63 AMG. At least the IS350 is 100% purebred from Japan....and most anything from Japan from simple DVD players to High-End sports cars are nothing short of Top Notch! Just my two cents...
No, my 2008 C300 was built in Germany (just my 2 cents of facts).

I won't bother talking about breeding.
Old 02-23-11, 10:23 PM
is350idlh
Driver School Candidate

Wife and I had an 03' c230 sport, great looking car, fun to drive, but man it was a pain in the $&@ to keep running. The little supercharger was beginning to fail with only 50k miles on it, traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma...loved that truck!

Quick Reply: Any previous mercedes owners out there?