IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

got tricked by Jim Falk Lexus today, guess no IS350 for me afterall

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 05:28 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default got tricked by Jim Falk Lexus today, guess no IS350 for me afterall

I found this 2010 IS350 with a reasonable price. contacted their "internet sales manager" immediately. i bargained even more and told him the price i wanted, he called me this morning said put down $500 deposit and the car is yours with my price. sure, i gave him my CC info over the phone and will be picking up the car tomorrow morning (i work late today). everything's fine, he even emailed me the window sticker. this afternoon received a phone call from someone i believe is the "internet sales manager"'s boss, he said someone came in this morning and bought the car. at first i was stun, since i just got off the phone with my guy and everything's fine. i guess he got overruled by the guy who called me. anyways, no apology from the internet sales manager except a simple text: the car's sold, you deposit won't be charged. that's it. am i upset? just a little, because i found out early this morning after the deposit the "new" car has 203 miles on it instead of the 23 miles they advertised. oh well, i guess i was a little upset about giving them my CC info for nothing. good thing his fax line wasn't working otherwise they'd have my credit application also.
Old 02-04-11, 05:46 PM
Not Daniel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you do realize that the internet sales team is separate from the actual dealership and the cars that they put out on the lot often go on test drives so the mileage doesn't stay constant?

I wouldn't be too butthurt over what happened, it's not like you actually paid for the car in full. Were you able to get the deposit back? If not, then I'd probably have a reason to complain.

As far as poor customer service, I can empathize with you, because customers shouldn't be treated like that. They should be up front and honest with what's going on, but there are also a lot of misconceptions about what to expect from dealerships. Though like I said...unless they got you over on some money, I'd just look somewhere else to get your Lexus. You may even find a better deal down the road...good luck.
Old 02-04-11, 05:52 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Something better will come along. Don't trip! Lesson learned.
Old 02-04-11, 05:53 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by Not Daniel
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you do realize that the internet sales team is separate from the actual dealership and the cars that they put out on the lot often go on test drives so the mileage doesn't stay constant?

I wouldn't be too butthurt over what happened, it's not like you actually paid for the car in full. Were you able to get the deposit back? If not, then I'd probably have a reason to complain.

As far as poor customer service, I can empathize with you, because customers shouldn't be treated like that. They should be up front and honest with what's going on, but there are also a lot of misconceptions about what to expect from dealerships. Though like I said...unless they got you over on some money, I'd just look somewhere else to get your Lexus. You may even find a better deal down the road...good luck.
hey, i'm not complaining here, i know what's going on. they didn't charge my CC, but they got my CC info and if not for a bad fax line they would've had my personal credit info too, i'm more upset about leaking out my personal info for nothing. and believe it or not, i don't even think it's a good deal after more research. so i'm over this already, just wanna share my story with you guys.
Old 02-04-11, 05:59 PM
Not Daniel
Rookie

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be an *** or anything; just saying that I wouldn't be too worried about all of that (which you're clearly over already); just a reflection of bad customer service, you'll definitely find a better deal out there.

Where is this dealership located anyway?
Old 02-04-11, 06:03 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by Not Daniel
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be an *** or anything; just saying that I wouldn't be too worried about all of that (which you're clearly over already); just a reflection of bad customer service, you'll definitely find a better deal out there.

Where is this dealership located anyway?
los angeles
Old 02-04-11, 07:09 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Complete lack of professionalism. Let them know you've told your story on CL, and then find a different dealer.
Old 02-04-11, 07:23 PM
Luxotic
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is always a better deal out there and there are more Lexus dealer too.

Go get yourself a Lexus now
Old 02-04-11, 07:42 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Dealership name and salesmans name would be nice so other cl members in that area could at least stay clear from the salesman if they go to that dealership.. I'm glad my brother is a salesman at clear lake lexus so I don't have to go through all this mess
Old 02-04-11, 09:44 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That was certainly a bit of a hassle but just move on. Ever wonder why they want a buyer to take the car off the lot ASAP? Part of it is to avoid damage while it is still in their possession but there is always the possibility of the car being sold while the owner waits to come in and finalize the paperwork.

I don't agree with the poster saying that cars the internet team offers are ones that are driven as loaners or demos. It may happen, but that should be clearly stated in the offer. They draw from the same stock as the dealer so if you want a brand new vehicle with no mileage than say that up front.
Old 02-04-11, 10:22 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can set you up with a guy at keyes lexus if you want? Pm me if youre interested.
Old 02-04-11, 11:47 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That was certainly a bit of a hassle but just move on. Ever wonder why they want a buyer to take the car off the lot ASAP? Part of it is to avoid damage while it is still in their possession but there is always the possibility of the car being sold while the owner waits to come in and finalize the paperwork.

I don't agree with the poster saying that cars the internet team offers are ones that are driven as loaners or demos. It may happen, but that should be clearly stated in the offer. They draw from the same stock as the dealer so if you want a brand new vehicle with no mileage than say that up front.

the car was advertised with 23 miles, which i definitely have no problem with. but after i gave the guy my CC info for the deposit he told me it was a misprint, it has 203 miles. now a brand new, non-demo car with 203 miles? that's hard to believe isn't it?
Old 02-05-11, 03:38 AM
DAZ1
Rookie

I've heard of this happening on other forums. Seems like the credit card deposit would be a commitment on your part. Looks like a "in person" buyer was too tempting for the dealer. I've purchased several vehicles online where I used a credit card as a deposit. Knowing if the vehicle wasn't as advertised, I'd cry foul and request my deposit refunded.
Old 02-05-11, 08:20 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
the car was advertised with 23 miles, which i definitely have no problem with. but after i gave the guy my CC info for the deposit he told me it was a misprint, it has 203 miles. now a brand new, non-demo car with 203 miles? that's hard to believe isn't it?
No, not hard to believe. You have porters jockeying cars around, getting the mileage off the odo's so it is very possible that '203' became '23' by human error. Does 203 miles make it a demo? Maybe, or maybe one of the execs used it for the weekend. In any event you may have asked for a bit of a discount for the extra miles but it doesn't make it a used car, either. Hope you find a suitable car soon.
Old 02-05-11, 09:38 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It sucks that you couldn't get your car, but a better opportunity will arise. If not Jim Falk, there are some other Lexus dealers in the greater LA area. Keyes, as windex suggested, as well as Glendale and Longo Lexus of El Monte each have a nice selection. Hopefully when you do find that perfect car, the salesman won't stiff you again. Best of luck and keep on trying!

Quick Reply: got tricked by Jim Falk Lexus today, guess no IS350 for me afterall