juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang, thats pretty bad
Old 01-10-11, 09:03 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally bought these same spacers. I was not at all comfortable with the way they felt under moderate driving. I always had this uneasy feeling like the studs on the spacers would break. I never imagined it would be the spacer itself to break. Good thing I decided to go with 5mm spacers instead. Felt much more relaxed driving and haven't had an issue in 4 years.
Old 01-10-11, 09:33 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

this is why i dont really want to use spacers, good thing you found out bro!
Old 01-10-11, 10:02 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY..... REPORT THIS TO ICHIBA! I have compared H&R spacers with Ichiba and there was a definite notice in difference of quality amongst those two. Thats why I chose H&R in the end and its been 1.5 years now, so far so good... But this definitely makes me still a bit nervous..

Originally Posted by Snubbles
maybe u screwed it on too tight
Not possible to a point that will crack the spacers like that...

Last edited by J250; 01-10-11 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 10:19 PM
shiny250
Advanced

ouch that looks pretty bad. luckily no one was hurt. good thing you checked!
Old 01-10-11, 10:49 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I'm just happy that you are okay and nothing happened to you.

Hey guys? Please check your spacers asap okay? Don't make me worry.
Old 01-11-11, 12:41 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lancematic
Wow, you're lucky you found it now and not when your wheel broke off.. I would contact the manufacturer.
Yes i plan on doing that, even though i didnt buy it from there, for the sake of R&D im gonna send it to them

Originally Posted by jadu
sucks to see that.. how many mm? the look about 20mm?
Tbh i forgot, i think it was 10 or 15mm (not too sure) it definately wasnt 20s

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
makes me wanna take mines off.... i drive crazy too.. i hope mines arent cracked...
Yea thats the thing, i drive pretty aggressively, so do check our spaces every so often.

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
Glad to hear you found the cracks before anything serious happened. Send those pics to ichiba.
i shall

Originally Posted by joeker
these the v2's or v1's?
v2's

Originally Posted by importhope
Those bad boys are thick and the crack goes all the way threw...
I know thats the insane part. I didnt for the life of me think that these would ever crack like that now i know
Old 01-11-11, 12:44 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Again i just wanna say, that in no way im I saying all spacers are dangerous and that you should stay away. But i wanna say that they are not as safe as everyone things, and quality, the torquing down correctly all will play a role.

Unfortunately i wont know what cause this, as stated above, could b over torqued, cheaper quality aluminum, hitting potholes, or just plain back luck w a defected batch. All could play a role.

Some people say that they only trust H&R spacers. Other manufacturers such as Ronal only offer their wheels w spacers (to fit for various vehicles that req diff offets). So by no means am i saying to avoid spacers,

if you are running them, or want to run them, Make sure u check them every once in a while to avoid serious problems

In all honesty though, if u can, get the wheels in the correct offsets and call it a day

Last edited by ndk83; 01-11-11 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 12:55 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by svntwosix
Wow, glad nothing happened to you! Same question, were these v1 or v2? Size of spacer?
V2, the V1 come w seperate extended studs. The v2 had the studs built in

I've read Ichibas were not as good quality as Fic or Project Kics. Maybe you'll have better luck with those.
yup i heard the same,

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Wow that doesn't look good at all. What spec were they torqued at? 76ft/lbs or more? I've had rotors warp from a shop over tightening my wheels. Hence never again, self torque now.
A shop tightened them, so not too sure. Thats the prob w this country our shops are a bunch of cowboys who dont really know what they are doing

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Ya you gotta be careful about over torqueing the bolts. Idk. Thank god you found them before they found you.
\im pretty sure its a combination of overtorquing and hitting major potholes

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
Wow that is pretty bad. I to am curious if you torqued em down properly... no product is perfect so it could jus be a bad pair. GL maybe they will replace em for ya
yea i agree, however im just sending the product back to them just cause of their info. I dont think id feel comfortable running their spacers. ID rather stick to something better like H&R

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
what do u plan on doing? r u goin to contact the manufacturer? if so, let us know what, if they plan on doing anything about this dangerous situation.... but yea, were those v1 or v2 spacers?
Well considering im very lucky and nothing happened, i just want to be aware of what happened to me so they can avoid this ever happening again.
These are the V2s

Originally Posted by flektone
H&R spacers are the best. They are the top spacer that everyone in the VW scene who wants quality uses. I had a set myself on my old VW. Made in Germany to
I keep hearing that myself. Alot of people swear by H&R

Originally Posted by H_G'S_IS
I got 20mm ichiba n idk but when i'm driving w/ windows up,some weird sound it's coming from the rear wheels like needs an aligment or something
Get them checked out, I never heard anything noices or had an vibration.
come to think of it, recently the cars alignement magically got out of wack, but i dont tihnk that was related

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
those look like V1s
V2s

Originally Posted by 305is350
Wow bro perfect timing and GL! I have H&R with long studs and let me tell you after 3 years they still look as shiny as the first day.
H&Rs are the way to go

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
Spacers were never the best idea. Usually it is best to get the correct wheel specs and avoid adding spacers. Afterall, spacers are just an extension and presents an opportunity for stress points. I would also question the quality of certain spacers, the quality and construction, as well as how well-engineering they are to be 100% flat as I heard low grade spacers induce vibrations and whatnot.

Good to hear nothing bad happened and you discovered the problem prior to any accident. Take care =)
Agreed 1000000000%. Do ur hw right, get the offset u desire w the wheels and dont mess around w spacers unless u have to

My TOMS VP-8's come in a very conservative +45 offset and had no choice. But i learnt my lesson

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
Since nobody else has said it...great find.

You running crazy offset???
Not really +45 (+35, after the 10mm spacer)

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
thats pretty serious, i was gonna sell my h&r with exteneded studs for V2's with built in studs. extended studs would be way better cuz your wheel will still stay on if the spacers cracked completely. i guess me taking the extra time to swap studs was totally worth it.

Yea keep the H&R, better quality, peace of mind
Old 01-11-11, 06:36 AM
NCLexi250
Pole Position

Hmmm, I might just have to give H&R's a try when the $$ comes in. Sounds like they are pretty good...
Old 01-11-11, 07:46 AM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

You will just need longer studs with h&r. I had them on my vw and they are great
Old 01-11-11, 08:09 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, Ichiba spacers are not the issue. It's the car. We keep upgrading our cars so much that they exceed the intended specs set by Toyota engineers. Also, aggressive driving style will put the critical parts in so much stress exceeding the safety factor, especially the third party parts. I would not surprise if my car breaks down (hoping not...knocking on the wood). But yeah...always check your car often and be careful.

Last edited by prankster; 01-11-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 08:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by prankster
IMO, Ichiba spacers are not the issue. It's the car. We keep upgrading your cars so much that they exceed the intended specs set by Toyota engineers.

Anytime you play with aftermarket parts, you're compromising something.

Running wheels with offsets that are different than what the car came with is just as bad for the bearings as running spacers, that is unless you are using spacers to match OEM offset. Having spacers is just one more thing that could go wrong.
Old 01-11-11, 11:02 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO, when you goto a shop and see them using the impact wrench =

i suggest everyone invest in a breaker bar (to take lugs off) and a torque wrench (to put them back on), this way you can torque everything yourself.
Old 01-11-11, 11:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by okthxbai
even if they were torque'd properly, I would think that a quality spacer would be able to withstand a common practice with spacers such as over torquing. People seem to be scared of them falling off or getting loose so they tighten the crap out of everything.
They did withstand it for a year. That's the problem with many mechanics - they do what they think is good and ignore technical documentation. Be very glad the mechanics who work on aircraft for the airlines are not so cavalier.

The wheel bearing stress issue is well known. Anyone running an offset (spacer + wheel) different from stock can expect wheel bearings to die sooner than if they ran factory offset. The harder you drive, the shorter the bearing life will be (which is also true even with the factory offset, but you'll get maximum life at the OEM spec no matter what, it just won't be as long as someone who doesn't push the car hard.)

Quick Reply: Be cautious of spacers