IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who needs AWD part 2 !! Pics and Fun Vid inside...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 06:39 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who needs AWD part 2 !! Pics and Fun Vid inside...

Went to Hunter mountain today, which is located in upstate NY. Took my car (IS350) as is in daily form, lowered on Fsport springs and shocks with 20" Vossens and Continental DWS's. These tires are All seasons. DWS stands for Dry, Wet and Snow.

It's normally a 3 hour trip from where I live, but took about 4 total because of the weather. It started snowing pretty heavy around 1.5 hours into the trip. The road leading up to the mountain is very curvy and mostly uphill. It was covered in snow and slush and many people who did not keep their speed up had to get out and push their cars. As you can see in the vid, I kept my speed up so as not to get stuck.

Is it a little bit of a PITA? Sure.
Is it Fun? Def!

I'm still a firm believer in RWD and not buying a 250 just to get AWD. Pics and Vid below!!

Video

Turn the volume up and you can hear it revving out because I was just trying to keep it going as quick as I could
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7UZu-7JcnU
Attached Thumbnails Who needs AWD part 2 !!   Pics and Fun Vid inside...-lexsnow1.jpg   Who needs AWD part 2 !!   Pics and Fun Vid inside...-lexsnow2.jpg  

Last edited by ScKcBc; 01-07-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 07:12 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

thats crazy, makes me happy i live in sunny south florida.
Old 01-07-11, 07:46 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Driver

An ancient proverb says, "Man who can drive not need All Wheel Drive"
AWD gives some a false sense of security and can actually get them into big trouble.
Old 01-07-11, 07:55 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

yea AWD is nothing i spun out today and went sideways into a stop sign...
thank god i didnt actually hit it
Old 01-07-11, 07:57 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I was super psyched to be boarding today in the snow and drank a 5 hour power before this so excuse the language and enthusiasm
Old 01-07-11, 08:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

your much braver than I to drive your car in the snow. Mine is such a baby
Old 01-07-11, 08:10 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I'd drive a veyron, murcielago or ZR-1 in the snow. I don't care. I buy my cars to drive them, lol. If I'm ever rich, I'll be the guy with the roof rack on an aston martin DBX going snowboarding.
Old 01-07-11, 08:21 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

haha nice! didnt snow so much in the 5 boros! goodjob and nice ride!
Old 01-07-11, 08:38 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LoL, you have no idea how to drive in snow........ hint: do not hold the pedal to the floor.
Old 01-07-11, 08:43 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jmags
LoL, you have no idea how to drive in snow........ hint: do not hold the pedal to the floor.
Trust me, I can drive in LAVA. I was just enjoying myself while keeping it moving. If my car was 7 inches higher with studded snow tires and AWD, I would have put Ken Block to shame ok.
Old 01-07-11, 08:46 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

You were driving on roads that had very small amounts of snow on them. When it gets to be 6+ inches of snow like it was today down here, you will need AWD to get anywhere.

To the guy who hit a stop sign in his AWD ...... dude needs to stay home next time it snows.

I've driven a camaro SS in the snow for 8 years. At a certain point of snow....... when the black color of the road is not able to be seen..... you need awd or you're done.

ps. you can't drive in lava.
Old 01-07-11, 08:58 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

i jus wanna state that i was going down hill and my front tires were coverd in snow n we got 6plus where i m at

2ndly.... i saw no drifting in that video wat so ever... n that road looked mad ezi up hill is nothing

3rd.... a veyron and a murcielago are AWD.... FAIL
Old 01-07-11, 09:11 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Imnutz4jdm
i jus wanna state that i was going down hill and my front tires were coverd in snow n we got 6plus where i m at

2ndly.... i saw no drifting in that video wat so ever... n that road looked mad ezi up hill is nothing

3rd.... a veyron and a murcielago are AWD.... FAIL
haha , we must live close.

You already know that AWD has nothing to do with stopping, so that's why I challenged you on your post when you said "yea AWD is nothing i spun out today and went sideways into a stop sign..."

AWD does mean something, when used correctly it get's you where you need to go. However if you don't know how to drive in snow, yes, you'll end up spinning out..

I'm not sure how you spun out, with traction control on I can't spin this car if I 110% tried to!
Old 01-07-11, 09:24 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

ooo i was goin down hill n the road all u could c is white snow n it was icey underneath so yea with my luck i had to turn a bit and i ended up going sideways but hey AWD helped me get out of the position i got stuck in so yea
hahaha
awd is awesome but u cant stop if there is snow going down hill
i can speed uphill no worries
Old 01-07-11, 09:25 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

You were driving on roads that had very small amounts of snow on them. When it gets to be 6+ inches of snow like it was today down here, you will need AWD to get anywhere.

I still call BS. I've driven MY car in 6" of snow already where no black can be seen and I still get around the same as i did in that video. The black you see in the vid is really more dirty snow and mud, not pavement that i was catching traction on. That's why you see me pass people PUSHING their cars because they went to slow and go Stuck. They couldn't accelerate FWD cars from a dead stop

To the guy who hit a stop sign in his AWD ...... dude needs to stay home next time it snows.

I've driven a camaro SS in the snow for 8 years. At a certain point of snow....... when the black color of the road is not able to be seen..... you need awd or you're done. I've had 7-8 AWD cars and a few suv's. You can pretty much get through anything with RWD just as good as FWD. Is AWD better for acceleration? Of course, but you don't need AWD to rotate cars through turns, RWD does it just fine, and better then FWD IMO

ps. you can't drive in lava. YES I CAN
Originally Posted by Imnutz4jdm

2ndly.... i saw no drifting in that video wat so ever... n that road looked mad ezi up hill is nothingMy friend was pointing my phone towards the way we were going, so it's hard to really see how much the car was turning. Was it really drifting? No, but it was fishtailing back and forth all over the place and was a decent amount of fun. I can drift this car No problem, just wish it was stick because I find those a little easier

3rd.... a veyron and a murcielago are AWD.... FAIL I know that you toolbox, I wasn't saying it because they were RWD, I was saying because they are Exotic cars. And I'd drive a ZR1 (first high end rwd car that came to mind) in the snow as well.
haha , we must live close.

You already know that AWD has nothing to do with stopping, so that's why I challenged you on your post when you said "yea AWD is nothing i spun out today and went sideways into a stop sign..."

AWD does mean something, when used correctly it get's you where you need to go. However if you don't know how to drive in snow, yes, you'll end up spinning out..

I'm not sure how you spun out, with traction control on I can't spin this car if I 110% tried to!

I dont drive with TC on. It seems to hurt you more then help in bad weather like this. With the car shutting off power left and right, it would take forever to get anywhere.

replies in bold, stop hating on my fun

Quick Reply: Who needs AWD part 2 !! Pics and Fun Vid inside...