IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 04:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

ChumousRex posted the original concept for the repair, thank you! iNfectious did the the detailed pictures, thanked them both.

I will try this DIY Airbag Light ON repair myself today.

I will post more pics.
Old 01-25-17, 01:44 PM
mandyfig

Well this morning the Airbag light turned off as normal. I will still get below there and see if I can identify the connector and perhaps unplug it, apply dielectric grease and re-plug, and check if the connection is stretched.
Old 01-26-17, 09:03 AM
mandyfig

Another day without the airbag light on...
Old 09-03-17, 06:24 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Lucky winner of this airbag issue here! Hit a good pothole ON THE PASSENGER side. Light came on. CL to save the day! Immediately removed the driver's side dash panel and driver's accessory panel to reveal access to culprit (driver's side airbag connector). Simply pressed firmly on the connector and moved the wiring harness around to ensure it's free and not being stressed. Started it up, and the warning light is GONE!

Oddly, I noticed what appears to be surface rust on the body of the portion of the airbag that connects to the connector to the wiring harness. Perhaps do to previous owner having had the A/C blockage TSIB after soaked carpets. Anyways, if the issue comes back, I'll apply dialectic grease to the connection and hope for the best.
Old 09-16-17, 12:23 AM
REMON2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Airbag light on

MY CAR AIR BAG COME ON BEFORE 2 DAYS
i check computer this code come B(1865) short in knee airbag (P side) squib circuit
also agent tell me need to change by 1.500

B(1865) short in knee airbag (P side) squib circuit / LEXUS/ ES350 / 2008

* Knowing: THE LIGHT COME ON AFTER Repair of the air conditioner , AND I THINK HE FORGET Connect the cables well .
i want know where this Piece .
thanks for all
Old 10-19-17, 03:06 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for everyone who posted here cause it saved me a bunch of money too, for something that was 100% free. In my case the connector was on there just fine, but there was a bit of rust around the area which made me think the connection is corroded. Taking off the connector I see no visible corrosion, but I slapped in some dielectric grease and put everything back together and the airbag light is gone. This was a particular issue for me since there's a recall for my 07 IS250 and they can't do the recall with the airbag light on. Of course they offered me $700 to repair the issue, which is crazy considering this certainly seems like something Lexus should also recall. For now, the light is gone. If the issue comes back I'll have to find something stronger to clean the connector with.

Tip for anyone trying to do this, the panel you want to remove is between the lower airbag and the dash, so no screws are needed to be removed. You'll have to remove the plastic panel near the door first which you just pull on. Also the connector is removed from the center yellow tab on top of the connector. Very top of it. If your hands are too big like mine then there's 2 Philip screws to remove the lower plastic to expose two 10mm screws. There's 4 total to physically remove the offending airbag so you can have better access to it.
Old 02-19-18, 01:29 PM
ejtom
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, Here are my 2 cents. I have a 2009 ES350 with only 40K and passg AB light ON..went and did the Takata recall..light still ON. Went to 1 LD and they couldn't figure out, then called corporate . Was advised to take car to another dealer in Michigan to run diagnostics (which they offered to pay for). Got diagnostics done, performed zero point calibration and light came ON after 30 miles. Was advised to call back if light comes ON, so I did. LD said that they will talk to corporate and then advise me. Got a call today morning from corporate stating that it could be wiring harness that's faulty and possibly needed to be replaced, the cost of which will run very high (not yet given estimate) but "will try to help with some portion of it (NOT guaranteed though but will try depending on the cost"..still awaiting the estimate (but my guess is $3-4K). Per some suggestions from some of the members on CL, I filed a complaint with the NHSTA to INCLUDE THE AIRBAG WIRING HARNESS in the Takata recall as they both are connected. They sent me a complaint number.
I would advise other members of the CL having similar problems to file a complaint with the NHSTA ASAP so the repairs can be covered under the recall along with Takata, even if our vehicles are beyond 72month/70,000 miles. The more complaints are filed, the stronger NHSTA will look into this.
I hope you all do the needful in helping us all to get this fixed, rather than making Lexus richer by paying for their faulty parts.
Thanks
Ej
Old 07-20-18, 11:58 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

So my SRS airbag light came on around 8 months ago. I found this thread and pushed the airbag "pin" harness in place and the light went out (the harness seemed secure so I just pushed it down and my light came off).

A few months pass and the light is on again and I wanted to do it the way people have been doing it (push the tab out then insert again). Just wanted to confirm where to place the flat heat. Can you confirm where I pry it with the flat head? Is it the red arrow, white arrow, or the blue arrow.

Also, any other tips to secure it in place? I don't want to damage it as it's a $1,500 part from Lexus. Electrical tape? Crazy glue (LOL..j/k)?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-20-18, 09:01 PM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I was having this issue. The ODB wire was going ontop of the airbag cable, so when I would pull and insert my ODB reader, it would tug it and 3/4 times cause the airbag light to go on upon restart. Wacking the lower cover fixed the issue of course...

I ended up moving the cable around so the ODB harness isn't sitting on top of the airbag and I zip tie the loose part of the cable with an existing harness in the back to minimize the flex. Seems to work so far...

I'll post a pic later.
Old 07-29-18, 01:41 AM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
So my SRS airbag light came on around 8 months ago. I found this thread and pushed the airbag "pin" harness in place and the light went out (the harness seemed secure so I just pushed it down and my light came off).

A few months pass and the light is on again and I wanted to do it the way people have been doing it (push the tab out then insert again). Just wanted to confirm where to place the flat heat. Can you confirm where I pry it with the flat head? Is it the red arrow, white arrow, or the blue arrow.

Also, any other tips to secure it in place? I don't want to damage it as it's a $1,500 part from Lexus. Electrical tape? Crazy glue (LOL..j/k)?

Thanks guys!

Here's what I did to mines

As mention, the ODB port harness was over the airbag harness. I removed the ODB port and ran it underneath the airbag harness. Everytime when plugging and unpluigging it, it would 'tug' the airbag harness a little. I did this and so far no issue. *cross fingers*
Old 09-23-18, 03:58 PM
Goke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jst17
If anyone need a VIDEO of the process of fixing this issue. Please PM me with your email. I will send you a video of myself doing it.
Hey man, will you please send me a video of how you fixed the airbag light issue? My email addy is gorisanmi@gmail.com
Old 10-16-18, 05:35 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm so glad i clicked on the link to this thread. i had did a search for the error code and it brought me to a link on CL that didn't have a resolution. luckily i didn't stop at the 1st link Google gave. as i was reading, i thought that this was just a problems for the IS group. but then i saw some people with GS's respond. so that gave me some hope. well, i didn't have a lot of time today, but i wanted to check the connector. took out 2 screws and removed my lower cover. pushed on the harness, and bam! light went out. so not sure if anyone else advised that this problem is happen, but it worked on my 2005 LS430. if/when it comes back on, i will try to actually remove the harness and apply some dielectric grease before re-assembling. but i will cross that bridge when the time comes. thanks again CL!

Old 01-13-19, 08:03 AM
jjk26
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of where the passenger harness is located? I got code B1866 and don't know where it is located after detaching the piece under the glove box. Should I also remove the glove box to be able to access it better?

I posted some pictures here of what I could see:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10407649
Old 01-14-19, 12:09 PM
jjk26
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jjk26
Does anyone have pictures of where the passenger harness is located? I got code B1866 and don't know where it is located after detaching the piece under the glove box. Should I also remove the glove box to be able to access it better?

I posted some pictures here of what I could see:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10407649
I believe this picture shows the harness connection for the passenger side. Posting it for future reference. Its near the center, or just right of center after you detach the passenger kick panel. It will be closer to the seats rather than towards the engine.

Old 04-22-19, 05:53 PM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody taken theirs in for warranty enhancement of this issue?

Quick Reply: AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*