IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 05:16 PM
25Obsidian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anybody from Vancouver take their car into Regency Lexus to get this problem fixed?
Old 08-30-11, 05:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kasim
Still looking for some1 with '08 with same problem
The dash rattle symptoms for each car is similar and not the same - but pretty much the same problem. As I said, I brought my 08 in because of rattle in general and it did not have be in the sun 2-3 hrs and gonig on uneven road. For me, it was more like driving it shortly after starting up the car anywhere it would do this.

When they did it, they used the latest version of the TSB which was posted a few months ago. The newer versions supposely address other problems and may have changed the materials used to address rattle and other concerns since the previous revision. For one thing for sure, is that my 08 has the latest rattle TSB compared to the 07 which has the previous revision (which was the latest at the time).

My 08 still has rattles but it appears to be still there comming from door itself - the panel/garnish. Good thing is the lead tech which I delt with before who help me with the 07 car listened as I demonstrated the problem simply by pressing the door panel along the window area and on the side just enough that it made a crack. He could attempt to address the issue by better insulating door panel/garnish itself to limit the free play to prevent this from happening. I have not brought the car in yet to fix since I plan on bringing the car in for service in the future, so it can wait since it's not rattle like the dash where it's very noticable. The 07 does not have the door rattle issue.
Old 09-05-11, 08:22 AM
Kasim
Pit Crew

^ I appreciated for taking yr time to answer. My rattle comes from center on the dashboard, now u got me paranoid to listed my doors

Do you have a TSB # by any chance??

Thanx a Lot.
Old 09-05-11, 09:00 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I appreciated for taking yr time to answer. My rattle comes from center on the dashboard, now u got me paranoid to listed my doors

Thanx a Lot.
Kasim, how have you missed this. Look 3 posts up.
Old 09-05-11, 11:28 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 25Obsidian
Did anybody from Vancouver take their car into Regency Lexus to get this problem fixed?
Nope, but I did take my car to Open Road Lexus Richmond to get my TSB on my 07. Since mine is a US car, they decided to just go ahead and perform the work since they know it is a known issue such that, they did not have to go a reproduce the sound at hte time I brought it in.

It worked at the time, and I essentially had the TSB done again back at the dealership in US since another rattle problem came up. After that, all problems gone.

Thanx a Lot.
Since I'm of town until tommorow, I can provide you this when I get back.
Old 09-05-11, 01:27 PM
Kasim
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sango
Since I'm of town until tommorow, I can provide you this when I get back.
I got it from previous page.
Thank You.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Kasim, how have you missed this. Look 3 posts up.
Got it,

Thanx!!!
Old 09-05-11, 02:41 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zoli21
I bought this car three months ago and the dash is driving me nuts, it creeks and pops really loudly over uneven surfaces, does anybody have this problem, and how can it be resolved thxx
mine does the same thing. they're especially noticeable when the car sit under the sun for some time. i think it has to do with thermal expanding characteristics of plastic of the dashboard. i took to dealer one time, but the tech swore he wasn't able to duplicate the noise when i urged him to test drive it around noon time.
Old 09-05-11, 03:35 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
mine does the same thing. they're especially noticeable when the car sit under the sun for some time. i think it has to do with thermal expanding characteristics of plastic of the dashboard. i took to dealer one time, but the tech swore he wasn't able to duplicate the noise when i urged him to test drive it around noon time.
1) This is a well-known, notorious problem on these cars. Owners know about it, Lexus knows about it, dealers know about it. Anyone at a dealership telling you different is lying or uninformed.

2) It primarily has to due with a poor dash design on Lexus's part, with many plastic pieces rubbing against other plastic pieces and the entire dash pad held in place with clips instead of screws. You're right that heat can affect it, in the sense that heat will make the plastic expand and can either mitigate or exacerbate rattling of parts. However, the root cause is simply design and parts choices by Lexus.

3) Always go on test drives WITH the technician. My car had to go in 5 separate times to get the dash rattle fixed. Each time they called to tell me it was ready, I asked them to go out and do one final test drive to make sure it's fixed. The first 2 times they agreed, called back and said everything was perfect. When I arrived, I drove it around the block and the rattle wasn't fixed in the slightest. The latter 3 times, the dealership learned I wasn't going to be sent away with shoddy work and actually did the test drives.

If you're still under warranty, take it to a dealer, tell them to perform the dash rattle TSIBs immediately. If you're out of warranty, you're out of luck; more power to you if you want to spend $1000 out of pocket for the fix.
Old 09-06-11, 04:24 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Does anyone have pictures with the dash pad removed? My car's been in 5 times for this fix and it's still there. Prior to the dealership's work the rattle was everywhere in the dash. Now the only rattle is directing in the center of the dash, right in front of the mesh/grille/center speaker-looking thing (though I've been informed there's not actually a speaker under there). It's almost certainly the clip rattling against the windshield.

Does anyone have pictures of what's underneath the dash pad, specifically these clips?

Also, to anyone who's removed the aforementioned center speaker cover thingy, what's under there? Do you gain visibility to under the dash, or is it essentially just a closed off compartment? Trying to figure out if I can access under the dash without removing the whole thing.
Old 09-06-11, 04:59 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
The main cause is from behind the dual vents in the center, its a clip that holds them together causing the popping. Its caused by the heat/cold expansion of the plastic.
That's exactly what I figured years ago. If you guys have notice all plastic parts are made of recycled materials. I figured when temperature rises or decreases inside these vents, these parts are not thick enough resulting of the expandishion causing such popping. It only happens when temperature changes from cold to warm/hot or from warm to cold. It isn't a constant noice.
Old 09-06-11, 05:14 PM
uttam24
Driver

my solution for my dash:
check the post #37
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...inished-3.html
Old 09-06-11, 07:24 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I got it from previous page.
Thank You.

Got it,

Thanx!!!
Just checked, same number.

The parts involved may of been been changed but I'll post it anyways.

1 x PKLSB004008 Dash Rattle
5 x 55328-48110 Stay, Instrument
1 x 08231-00801 Noise Kit
1 x 55355-30110 Cushion, Instrument
Old 09-07-11, 08:17 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I was able to fix the rattle or pop noise coming from the instrument cluster area since I was out of warranty and the dealership wanted to charge me just to look at. The noise is actually coming from the upper plastic piece around gauge bezel area rubbing or tapping against the lower plastic piece that's right above your legs. I lined the edges of the lower piece with electric tape that comes in contact with the upper peice and so far, the noise has been gone for a few days, even on the roughest roads. It's about a 5 minute job and I can't believe how quiet my car is.
Old 09-07-11, 08:55 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by rog1206
I was able to fix the rattle or pop noise coming from the instrument cluster area since I was out of warranty and the dealership wanted to charge me just to look at. The noise is actually coming from the upper plastic piece around gauge bezel area rubbing or tapping against the lower plastic piece that's right above your legs. I lined the edges of the lower piece with electric tape that comes in contact with the upper peice and so far, the noise has been gone for a few days, even on the roughest roads. It's about a 5 minute job and I can't believe how quiet my car is.
Is there any way you can send a picture with the area you're talking about highlighted or circled? I'm having this rattle and really want to fix it.

Here's what I'm dealing with. The plastic trim piece surrounding the clear plastic cover for the gauges is rattling. This black trim piece is highlighted by the red arrow below:

Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???-source-screws.jpg

There are two screws/clips that seem to hold this trim piece in place - these are highlighted by the white arrows. My thinking is that if I tightened those, it would hold the trim piece tighter and eliminate the rattle. In fact, if I apply pressure in the following manner, the rattle goes away. If I hold the top of the black trim piece with my thumb while clamping down with the rest of my hand on the top part of the dash, it goes away. This pressure is obviously preventing the trim piece from rattling. Here's a pic showing the pressure I apply on the top of the gauge area to eliminate the rattle:

Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???-pressure.jpg

The problem I see with tightening the screw/clips is that some people are saying they're screws and can be tightened, and others are saying they're clips and don't actually tighten when you turn them, they just spin in place. Can anyone speak to this? Has anyone fixed this particular rattle by tightening those screws/clips, or is there a different fix?
Old 09-07-11, 09:32 AM
Sango
Pole Position

As of yesterday I have contact corporate to escalate an issue about rattling not being resolved on my rattling, which is mainly according at the doors still and still some on the dash. The people who supposedly test drive say they cannot reproduce the issue. I picked up my car yesterday for another issue and drove it off from the dealership, and I can hear sounds, I wonder why they cannot hear it. To be honest, I do not think they are listening carefully or closely.

I mainly contacted corporate because it has not been resolved and I also sent an email to the director of parts and service. Noted mentioned to both of them that one of the lead tech’s was unprofessional saying that I was “nitpicking” the car for noises and that I must have “very good hearing”. Furthermore, he said his IS-F has more noises and my car is fine the way it is. So basically what he’s saying to say is that rattling is a “feature”. That was uncalled for and will not be taken lightly, especially that I do have very good hearing since I have played music when I was young so my ears are sharp when it comes to sounds.

I also let them know that Lexus Canada will also step in if Lexus US cannot resolve this issue. The dealership in Canada, actually helped me as I talked to the service rep that I know and contacted Lexus corporate Canada if they can work on US cars for rattles since this isn't typically done (unless it's normal warranty work, Canada will work it as if it was their car since it's covered anyways and vice versa). The answer is yes, if Lexus US is unable to resolve this.

Last edited by Sango; 09-07-11 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???