IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vibration when driving fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 12:47 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those having shake issues....are you on stock rims? If yes, check tire pressure, tire wear, and balancing.

If you're on aftermarket rims, and the place you bought them didn't give you hubcentric rings, that is most likely your problem. Unfortunately, most big chain tire places won't care enough to give you the rings.

when ordering rings, find out the diameter of the rim's hub bore and get that as the outside diameter. The inside diameter is 60.1mm.
Old 01-10-12, 09:21 AM
moses0324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to ressurect an old thread but i have the same issue. when highway driving around 75-85 mph i get a pesky vibration. it is subtle but i have done the following with no real solution:

1. changed pads and rotors (front and rear)
2. purchased new tires (alignment)
3. re-balanced wheels
4. had lexus tech check for bent rims or noticeable suspension wear

nothing worked...the vibration remains and im thinking that its normal. i guess i am hitting a natural frequncy of something within the car to make it noticeable enough to feel. any one else have any recommendations/solutions?
Old 01-10-12, 03:50 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
sorry to ressurect an old thread but i have the same issue. when highway driving around 75-85 mph i get a pesky vibration. it is subtle but i have done the following with no real solution:

1. changed pads and rotors (front and rear)
2. purchased new tires (alignment)
3. re-balanced wheels
4. had lexus tech check for bent rims or noticeable suspension wear

nothing worked...the vibration remains and im thinking that its normal. i guess i am hitting a natural frequncy of something within the car to make it noticeable enough to feel. any one else have any recommendations/solutions?
Interesting. Mine starts shaking at 80mph. But I bought mine used and I thought I just needed my wheels balanced and or alignment. I might be getting F-Sport front and rear sway bars and lower brace. Wonder if that will help. Do you guys have any updates on this problem?
Old 01-10-12, 04:07 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I would also give tires a good inspection. If you hit a curve, chances are that one or more of your tires got damaged causing a lump/s on your tires. These lumps normally cause vibration and the faster you drive the shaking improves (lumps size = high or low vibration).

Check tires for lumps/damages

good luck
Old 01-10-12, 04:53 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One may want to check the wheel bearing see if its gone bad because this can also cause it.

Another is to have the wheels check to see if it has experienced any internal trauma or compression points on the wheel which may have gone undetected (i.e. hit a pothole) by having the wheel inspected on the spinner. Usually if this is the case, the symptom would not show on the outside visually, but will show on the inside (wobbling) as the inner would be the place where it would occur because it is the weakest point in the wheel. This would usually cause vibration a well depending on the severity. It would also imply that the alignment may have been affected as well.
Old 01-11-12, 07:21 AM
moses0324
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
One may want to check the wheel bearing see if its gone bad because this can also cause it.

Another is to have the wheels check to see if it has experienced any internal trauma or compression points on the wheel which may have gone undetected (i.e. hit a pothole) by having the wheel inspected on the spinner. Usually if this is the case, the symptom would not show on the outside visually, but will show on the inside (wobbling) as the inner would be the place where it would occur because it is the weakest point in the wheel. This would usually cause vibration a well depending on the severity. It would also imply that the alignment may have been affected as well.
the dealer told me wheels and tires were fine because they put them on the hunter road force balancer. it checks for irregularities in both the rim and tire. the dealer also put my car up on the lift and put the car into drive to check out of roundness. i am assuming they checked the front face and rear lips. i will bring up the vibratioon issue on my next service. i just hate chasing around a probelm by wasting money on "potential" fixes.
Old 02-03-12, 09:27 AM
cchase231
Driver School Candidate

I have this same problem, everything is stock. It seems to be the worst at 75-85 mph. New tires, alignment and balancing have not fixed the problem, I was told that the wheels are fine by both the dealer and the tire shop. I can't remember when I first started feeling it, it kind of just came on gradually. The vibration isn't terrible, just enough to be annoying and it doesn't feel "Lexus like". I also have a lot of vibration on idle in D and R, but slip it into neutral and it is totally gone. Maybe the issues are related?
Old 02-04-12, 09:51 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems.

2006 is250 awd with stock rims.

newer tires, new rotors, brakes, brake fluid changed and I get vibrations around 80 mph. I rotated the tires and now it feels better. i also found that my lug nuts were overtightened and im thinking that was the issue. it was so bad i wouldnt drive at 80 mph b/c the entire car felt like a jet engine inside shaking. had my mechanic take off all my wheels and during tire rotation and re-torqued each lug nut to 76 ft lbs via digital torque wrench, except he couldnt get off the locking lug nut so he left it alone. i took off the locking lug and made all 76 pounds.....problem is virtually gone. hit triple digits today on a bumpy road and barely felt anything....look in your manual and get at least a click torque wrench and check that spec.
Old 02-06-12, 05:23 AM
ALSHUBCAPS
Driver School Candidate

if your vibe came while in neutral it can't be wheels or drive train related, we have had that happen to customers before, oft times it has been motor mounts