IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Snag on interior pillar. Is there any way to fix/replace the pillar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 11:14 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snag on interior pillar. Is there any way to fix/replace the pillar?

Hi. I apologize now if this has already been posted; however, I did do a search that yielded no results. My fiancee somehow managed to snag a piece of the interior with her...you guessed it...engagement ring (prongs). It came from the same spot where we all kept hitting our head while getting into our IS's for the first couple of weeks (where the airbag is located). She must have already cut any loose fibers so it's pretty clean except there is a gray dot where the snag happened. Apparently there is metal or very hard plastic behind the fabric so whatever color the metal is...is showing through. At first glance it just looks like a dot of dirt...really no bigger than a pencil/pen mark. It's hardly noticeable but she feels terrible about it and I almost wanna get it fixed just so she doesn't feel so bad. It's no bid deal to me and I hardly notice it. Any suggestions? I will try and post a pic later but honestly I'm not even sure if it will show up...that's how insignificant it looks. Also....does anyone believe it will be a deduction come trade/sell time? Thanks for any and all input!!!

Regards,
Old 10-04-10, 11:55 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear suggestions as well since I purchased my car with some cigarette burns in the same area . Sounds like there isn't really a solution, but I know how ingenius CL members are so I'm hoping someone knows something!
Old 10-04-10, 12:57 PM
vinconist
Pole Position

you can wrap if in carbon fiber fabric/vinyl or just look out for replacements on ebay
Old 10-04-10, 07:56 PM
Proper 350
Pole Position

If you want someone to fix it properly where you cant even tell it was snagged or a cig burn was there,go to dent wizard.
Old 10-04-10, 09:43 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 10-04-10, 11:50 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

as in dentwizard.com ? I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 10-05-10, 08:49 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Pntherz you and I are asking the exact same question for different reasons. I figured out a nice temporary solution for dealing with recurring blemishes to the cloth in the same area, and someone was kind of enough to direct me toward the replacement part which is about $60.

However, what I don't know is whether I can replace this myself without removing the dash or how difficult it will be.

Please see this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ge-really.html
Old 10-05-10, 11:01 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Wow! Thanks MBTC!!! I may try that tip and see what happens. This could work really well if it happens to be a burn vs a snag....I'm really hoping she wasn't smoking in my ride...well if she was...I can guarantee you that she won't do it again....she was really upset. Also...my sales guy said that their detail dept could prob fix it up vs replace it and make it disapper (for a fee of course). I'm sure he said that because I am a fierce tight wad and negotiator. Hell I wasn't able to get into that car without being tough and a penny pincher!
Old 10-05-10, 12:05 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

It sounds like in your case, the material beneath the cloth may already be showing through, so if that's the case the "clean, bleach then file" technique may not work as well for you. The damaged area on mine looks slightly like something grey showing behind it, although I assumed that's actually where the charred ashes were and where previously black areas turned light grey due to the clorox.

What I am really searching for at this point is advice on what's involved in replacing that cloth piece. I don't want to do it yet, I'm just thinking in a couple of years assuming I burn it again, or maybe right before resell. I think it's the one place in the car that will get repeatedly scuffed no matter what I do. I'm pretty sure someone else here has replaced it, since it's such a high traffic cloth piece, it's just a matter of getting my question into the right thread.