IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Are you an IS-350 owner with confirmed broken valve springs?
Check engine/VSC light on, no power and confirmed broken valve springs
8.06%
Check engine/VSC light on, confirmed problem NOT related to broken valve springs
4.84%
Check engine/VSC light on, gas cap loose or sumthin stupid like that
6.45%
Intermittent Check engine/VSC light on, still don't know what the problem is
12.90%
Never had Check engine/VSC light on with my IS-350
62.90%
Non-IS350 owner, but just wanna vote :-)
4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

IS-350 Check Engine, VSC light on, no power --> broken valve spring recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 05:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not worried about this at all. Someday I will get the recall letter and make an appointment when that happens. All recalls and TSIBs on my IS350 have been handled easily with decent loaner car, free gas, minimal hassle.

Never seen CEL on my car.
Old 08-04-10, 06:03 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just paranoid... however ive notice that my car is idling a bit rougher the last several months... im sitting at 66k miles and have not changed out for new plugs yet, thinking that is the problem for the rough idle and vibrations.

Old 08-04-10, 06:11 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
just paranoid... however ive notice that my car is idling a bit rougher the last several months... im sitting at 66k miles and have not changed out for new plugs yet, thinking that is the problem for the rough idle and vibrations.

...or it could be just clogged air filter.
Old 08-05-10, 08:34 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hengkoy
Good point. Just got lucky I didn't have anything else affected. In hindsight, knowing what the problem is now, yes it's idiotic to drive the car anymore. Roadside assistance for Lexus owners is 48 months. This includes towing, right?
Yes.

But even out of warranty, you're risking severe engine damage versus a relatively minor cost of towing.
Old 08-06-10, 08:39 AM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Infra
Yes.

But even out of warranty, you're risking severe engine damage versus a relatively minor cost of towing.
I'm NOT implying to NOT get it towed if its' out of warranty. On the contrary, I posted for the benefit of IS-350 co-owners just in case they encounter the same symptoms and help them recognize it could be serious, i.e. broken valve springs.
Old 08-06-10, 03:48 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Dealer received the parts Wednesday, so they've been working on my car for 3 straight days. I was told my car is the dealership's first case of valve spring replacement. This doesn't sit well with me...I'm the guinea pig!!

I told the Service Advisor to take their time, but he said it might be ready late this afternoon. We'll see...
Old 08-06-10, 07:55 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Default Got my car back!

Dealer called me at around 5PM today, and told me my car's ready! I dropped everything at work, drove like a maniac, weaving in and out of traffic in my loaner HS250 and got there at 6:10PM. They close at 6PM, but they were nice enough to let me in so I can pick up my car.

Here are the parts replaced:

Job #1 - Replaced compression springs, recalibrated ECU

Qty 1 - 04000-37531 - Valve Spring kit
Qty 1 - 90913-A3001 - Valve Spring retainer. --> I guess the tech dropped one and lost it.

Job #2 Replaced accelerator pedal foot pad, and replaced all weather floor mats

Qty 1 - 04000-14253 --> pad, accelerator
Qty 1 - PT908-5301W-02 --> 2PC AWM FRTBLK

First impressions:

1. Seems quieter at idle compared to even before I had the broken valve spring problem
2. Don't know if I just got used to HS250, but it seems like car has more power than before.
3. No apparent leaks!
4. I was not able to control power windows from driver side controls. Thanks to this forum, I learned how to fix it. When they said they re-calibrated ECU, does this mean they just disconnected negative terminal of battery?

Gonna have a good weekend, my baby's back!
Old 08-10-10, 04:05 PM
OH Nasty
Driver

Congrats on getting the car back, I bet that feels great. Not sure if this is the same thing you had happen, I got a call from my mom today, as I'm away for the summer, saying she went to take my car for a spin because its been sitting in the garage for a couple weeks since she drove it last. It wouldn't unlock, but the key fobs red light was still lighting up. She changed the battery in the key fob? and the door unlocked once but wont anymore. Anyway the car wouldn't start and the VSC Check light is on. My friends rolled it out of the garage and tried jumping the battery which didn't help. It will turn on to acc and everything will light up, the car just wont turn on. Any chance this could be the engine valves or does this sound more serious/something completely different? BTW the car is out of all warranties, 86xxx miles.
Old 08-10-10, 04:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

henkoy - Thanks for the final report on outcome at dealer. I hope car is running well.!
Old 08-10-10, 04:51 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by OH Nasty
Congrats on getting the car back, I bet that feels great. Not sure if this is the same thing you had happen, I got a call from my mom today, as I'm away for the summer, saying she went to take my car for a spin because its been sitting in the garage for a couple weeks since she drove it last. It wouldn't unlock, but the key fobs red light was still lighting up. She changed the battery in the key fob? and the door unlocked once but wont anymore. Anyway the car wouldn't start and the VSC Check light is on. My friends rolled it out of the garage and tried jumping the battery which didn't help. It will turn on to acc and everything will light up, the car just wont turn on. Any chance this could be the engine valves or does this sound more serious/something completely different? BTW the car is out of all warranties, 86xxx miles.
Thanks, yes it feels great to have my car back again. In regards to your issue, I don't think it's the valve spring recall. The battery on your fob may have discharged completely. Try this:

1. Depress the brake pedal (automatic) or clutch (manual tranny)

2. Hold the electronic key close to the engine switch (within 0.4 in. [10 mm]), making sure that the button side of the key is facing toward you

3. Press the engine switch within 5 seconds of the buzzer, keeping the brake pedal (for automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (for manual
transmission) depressed.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-10, 04:53 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
henkoy - Thanks for the final report on outcome at dealer. I hope car is running well.!
Thanks! Car's running great so far...and no leaks!
Old 08-10-10, 05:45 PM
josephlee
Driver

is this only for IS350's?
i had the engine/vsc light on and experienced shaking at start up too with my AWD
Old 08-10-10, 06:22 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by josephlee
is this only for IS350's?
i had the engine/vsc light on and experienced shaking at start up too with my AWD
As far as IS...it's just for IS-350. I'm pretty sure Lexus is not including the IS-250 for the valve spring recall. Your problem might be related to carbon build-up. Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 08-10-10, 06:33 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

i was told by my lexus advisor that its every 2 out of 1000 is owners will have this defect.
Old 08-10-10, 06:41 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

hengkoy, I'm super jelous of you. I bought an 08 IS350 last month and the dealership has been holding it for the recall. I went in yesterday and the service manager told me he still has no idea exactly when the parts are coming in.

Quick Reply: IS-350 Check Engine, VSC light on, no power --> broken valve spring recall