IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taking a loaner on Vacation...is this allowed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 01:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually have a copy of my rental agreement from my service last week. Paragraph 2(i) says the car cannot be driven "in Mexico, outside the United States or Canada." I don't see anything that says you need to stay in your state.
Old 07-27-10, 01:39 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I actually have a copy of my rental agreement from my service last week. Paragraph 2(i) says the car cannot be driven "in Mexico, outside the United States or Canada." I don't see anything that says you need to stay in your state.
That's because different dealership have different policy.

Longo Lexus (largest lexus dealership?) specified that you can't take it out of CA and that you have to return it with the same amount of gas as when you borrow it (either half full or full). But if you take it to Vegas and have no problem, they won't say anything. Other dealership have different policy.

Last edited by Initial_K; 07-27-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 01:48 PM
DarkIs250
Rookie

Originally Posted by tex2670
Pretty funny, so I can take it to Hawaii on a boat.

I don't understand why the restriction on a loaner when the vehicle breaks down, and per say you already had planned a trip to wherever. I will yell at them if they restricted me. Assuming it was warranty related
Old 07-27-10, 01:55 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer i think sez they dont want you taking it out of the city but me and my dad have driven the 4hours one way trip to houston many times lol. No way for them to really know and i have never had a problem with it.
Old 07-27-10, 01:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just keep it clean and fill the tank and keep quiet.....you'll be good!
Old 07-27-10, 02:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Initial_K
That's because different dealership have different policy.

Longo Lexus (largest lexus dealership?) specified that you can't take it out of CA and that you have to return it with the same amount of gas as when you borrow it (either half full or full). But if you take it to Vegas and have no problem, they won't say anything. Other dealership have different policy.
Agreed--you need to read whatever agreement your dealer is using.
Old 07-27-10, 02:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DarkIs250
I don't understand why the restriction on a loaner when the vehicle breaks down, and per say you already had planned a trip to wherever. I will yell at them if they restricted me. Assuming it was warranty related
It's a courtesy car, not trip insurance. If the dealer's rental agreement restricts you from driving the car out of state, they may have a similar restriction from their insurer. Yelling at them won't help--sweet talking them might.
Old 07-27-10, 02:13 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

If they call and say it is ready earlier than anticipated please bring the loaner in today what will you say?
Old 07-27-10, 02:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've driven Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus loaner cars for hundreds of miles, with no complaints from service department upon return.

I return it with same amount of gas they gave me. I don't bother cleaning it, because half the time I don't find the loaner car to be clean enough to begin with.
Old 07-27-10, 02:35 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i took my loaner to vegas once too. the guy verbally told me to keep it about 100 miles a day but i read the agreement that i signed carefully and no where did it state a maximum mileage or where i couldn't take it. returned it with the same amount of gas and they didn't say a thing.
Old 07-27-10, 02:51 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What everyone else said. Remember, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 07-27-10, 03:35 PM
albis350
Driver

Well i asked for permission and they told me ok if your car is not done you can take it...this was when i was getting my tranny replaced and yup took it from miami to key west was awesome I had an RX350 more space and confi for the long drive....

Last edited by albis350; 07-27-10 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 03:51 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

i had a RX350 loaner when I had a few tsib done. i took the car down the san diego and back and it was fine. I was not allowed to take the car out of state, but I am sure I could have as long as the car is not damaged and is full of gas when you return it.

i even asked the service advisor the same thing and he said its unlimted miles as long as you dont leave the state, but that was at my local dealership.
Old 07-27-10, 05:05 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Keppie
If they call and say it is ready earlier than anticipated please bring the loaner in today what will you say?
You either bring the car back or pay the loaner price which was like $$$ a day until it's returned. It should be stated in the agreement that you sign before taking the loaner.
Old 07-27-10, 05:53 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

They wouldn't know if you did. They don't check the mileage, gas tank, or cleanliness when you return it. When you drop off the loaner, the valet guy takes it and brings it to the back to wash and clean it, fill up the tank and it's ready for the next person. The service advisor never sees the car. The only time they see a loaner is when you pick up and you walk around with them to check for damages. At least that's how it is at my dealership.

Quick Reply: Taking a loaner on Vacation...is this allowed?