IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

***attention: Vibration issue resolved***

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 10:51 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ 100% agreed...gasoline will need to be refined again to stop this issue.

Even with the introduction of just 10% ethanol in gasoline, we have Prius owners (as **** as you can get) who have logged their gas mileage and show a noticable drop in MPG due to the ethanol. Oil companies have proven that they are only after the all mighty $$$, just look at the current Gulf crisis. Once they decide to do something about their gas, we all will just have to invest in top engine cleaners (even BMWs).
Old 06-16-10, 11:13 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra
How many miles on your car? ...
I have ~40,600 miles on my car.
Old 08-02-10, 12:03 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am getting a faint vibration through my steering wheel at stops ...
the steering wheel doesn't shake .. but i can feel it when holding the steering wheel
does anyone what is causing this ?

is it normal to have a little ? or it should be not have any vibration at all ?

Last edited by panda327; 08-02-10 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 04:22 AM
bigbum
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good stuff man
Old 08-03-10, 09:09 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
i am getting a faint vibration through my steering wheel at stops ...
the steering wheel doesn't shake .. but i can feel it when holding the steering wheel
does anyone what is causing this ?

is it normal to have a little ? or it should be not have any vibration at all ?
Sounds like you may have the early stages of the dreaded carbon buildup. It started on my 08 250 at about 10K miles and now at 21K it does the steering wheel vibration regularly (sometimes less, sometimes more vibration) after warm up in D at idle with no a/c or headlights running. Lexus has a service bulletin and may do a top engine cleaning but the problem often comes back as mine did. If you search for "carbon buildup" on this site you will find many reports. Dealer says it is within "normal" but after owning many Toyotas (4 cylinder), 2 Lexus' and 3 Acuras (6 cylinders) I find it very annoying and frankly not acceptable in a luxury car. "Normal" for me may become no more Lexus or Toyota products which is unfortunate because I have sung praises for their products for since my '80 Corolla.
Old 08-16-10, 11:01 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

so this is only a temporary fix? does this mean every few ten thousand miles the car will need a carbon clean up ??

i am planning to take my car in for this TSB ... the steering wheel is vibrating too often for me to ignore it ..
and engine stalling symptom is appearing too often as well.

i have 28,000 kms on my car
Old 08-17-10, 08:42 AM
DannyMih
Driver School Candidate

I dropped of my IS350 today for the vibration/ loss of power/ VSC light/ CEL issue (etc....)

This is the 4th time I'm dropping the car off for the same issue. So far they have changed 4-5 Ignition Coils, Valve springs (one side of the V only) camshaft, valves, etc...

I've told them I dont want my car back until everything is 100%. The service manager said he will have the lead engineer look at my car.

As for Carbon Buildup.... not possible. I drive my car WOT all the time (is there any other way? Get a IS250 if you wont!) Just a thought .

I will let you guys know what happens after I get my car back.
Old 08-17-10, 11:32 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyMih
I dropped of my IS350 today for the vibration/ loss of power/ VSC light/ CEL issue (etc....)

This is the 4th time I'm dropping the car off for the same issue. So far they have changed 4-5 Ignition Coils, Valve springs (one side of the V only) camshaft, valves, etc...

I've told them I dont want my car back until everything is 100%. The service manager said he will have the lead engineer look at my car.

As for Carbon Buildup.... not possible. I drive my car WOT all the time (is there any other way? Get a IS250 if you wont!) Just a thought .

I will let you guys know what happens after I get my car back.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-16-11, 06:17 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

just a thought ... i always put 94 octane in my car.. could it be the gas is too rich leading to early carbon build up?
Old 04-16-11, 06:26 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Anyone thought about the Shell V-power??
Old 04-17-11, 07:20 AM
ltzSupra
Driver

I have a bone stock awd is250. Ran smooth from the day I bought it at 25k miles. Took it to the dealer for an oil change at 31k for the first time since owning it and when I got it back, it vibrates like hell when in D or R. What can I do?
Old 04-17-11, 10:18 AM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the type of thread that makes this THE forum to belong to for an IS owner.
Old 04-17-11, 10:33 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Yeah the vibration happens when in "D" or "R" with my foot firmly on brake. It goes away when I let go of the brake and roll and accelerate. The vibration is apparent in the steering wheel, seat, door, and a little bit in the shifter. What really got me ticked was the headliner began buzzing a little because of this...and that drove me INSANE! No vibrations in the center console, although, not enough to make any console noises.
I have had the same exact problem with my RX300 for over 5 years now. No fix. Started happening with 40K on the odo, It has now 120k. hasn't gotten better or worse.
My ES300 also had the same issue, btw till I sold it.

Apparently, smooth idling is not Toyota / Lexus best strengths. Probably due to harder engine mounts that they use which in turn is actually more helpful during acceleration in keeping down engine harshness and vibrations from being transmitted to the passenger cabin.

Last edited by chikoo; 04-17-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 10:36 AM
HERBos
Lead Lap

this happens sometimes when idling but not to the extent you guys are saying..
Old 04-17-11, 10:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While you guys are checking it out, make sure you include the following tests too:

1. Keep the gear selector in 'D'
2. Push down the e-brakes. Release the regular brake pedal. Does the vibration increase or decrease?
3. Switch on the headlights. Vibration increase or decrease?
4. Switch off the AC. Does the vibration increase or decrease?

Quick Reply: ***attention: Vibration issue resolved***