IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350-Possible to take to 200,000 miles & gas mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 08:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus IS350 would be a great choice of cars of OP's intended usage.
Old 01-18-10, 09:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm thinking the IS is too nice of a car to beat up with a ton of miles. But if it's just money, who cares. May as well do it in style. =)
Old 01-18-10, 09:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I think the OP is considering the purchase of a used IS350 to lesson the initial depreciaton hit especially considering the mega miles.* And it seems the gas mileage of the IS350 is similar to his previous car which he considered to be acceptable.* So I don't blame him for wanting something a bit better and more fun than your typical commuter Priius/Civic/Corolla.

So if he can afford the premium car cost of ownership, the Lexus would tend to be lower cost to maintain and a bit more reliable versus the European cars that compete with it.
Old 01-18-10, 10:18 PM
omelet1978
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Due to the high mileage you're going to put on the car and the cost of ownership, yes, a Lexus is an insanely stupid decision for your situation IMO. If I were in your shoes, I would get something used for sure, probably in the 40-60k miles range, and domestic so I could take maximum advantage of depreciation to date and hopefully have low cost of ownership.
Actually, for a number of reasons I've decided to either get a Lexus used or just buy new and accept the kick in the nuts depreciation down the road. I've had 2 used cars in my life. Both had so many issues that I didn't really save any money...The BMW I'm driving right now is #2 and that thing is not holding up well with the drive. 4 major repairs in 4 months! Fortunately, I got an extended warranty, but I'll burn through it very fast with this drive.

I'm also a big safety guy and view VSC & airbags as a requirement. Finding VSC is difficult on used cars so thats one thing that led me to used luxury cars. The way I look at it if I get into a wreck and get injured it's going to cost a lot more than the car's depreciation...
Old 01-18-10, 10:19 PM
omelet1978
Driver School Candidate

I came close to getting an Altima as well, but the ones I looked at did not seem to be very well taken care of. These used luxury cars...alot of the owners are pretty obsessive.

Also looking at a TL Type S and even a Ford Fusion Sport. The latter has $2500 in rebates right now.
Old 01-18-10, 11:19 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
Look into leasing a bmw. They have pretty good rates, for the car the price of the car.
And also most of their maintenance is free. Including oil change, and brake pads.
Who's going to let you put 40,0000 miles per year on a leased car?
Old 01-19-10, 12:05 PM
sailing217
Pole Position

I commute 42k miles a year. Actually I telework a day a week now so only 36k a year. My almost 2.5 year old IS 250 mt has a lifetime MPG at 29.4mpg and 96k miles on the clock.

I thought I'd like to ride in some luxury and still be a bit sporty. Kinda killing 2 birds with one stone. If I had to do it again I'd get a low mileage but older used car and drive it into the ground. If I was buying new I'd look hard at the Ford Fusion sport. For the $15-20k saved would go towards a real fun car like a used s2000 or something.

Other than oil changes, I never go to the stealership. Regular fluids and parts that wear out is the only thing. No surprises.

When you drive that much, you don't want to drive at all on the weekends no matter how nice a car you have. I bought my wife an Evo X mr for a weekend toy and it's raw and a blast to drive but still I'd rather be chillin somewhere than in another car.
Old 01-19-10, 12:54 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

where did this stupid notion come from that you should get a cheap car just because you drive a lot? if anything the more you drive the nicer car you want since you will be spending so much time in it. putting on tons of mileage means he is getting his moneys worth out of the car. buying a car and driving it 5k miles a year is a bigger waste.
Old 01-19-10, 03:09 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdawg
where did this stupid notion come from that you should get a cheap car just because you drive a lot? if anything the more you drive the nicer car you want since you will be spending so much time in it. putting on tons of mileage means he is getting his moneys worth out of the car. buying a car and driving it 5k miles a year is a bigger waste.
It's not stupid, it's financially smart. Your opinion demonstrates a real lack of financial experience, and I'm betting you're no older than 21. You'll "see the light" eventually.

Now, if the OP is well-off financially and can pay cash for an IS350 without negatively affecting anything else in his life, then I say go for it. Otherwise, you're talking about financing a luxury car and beating the hell out of it, leaving it worth very little at the end of four years when you potentially owe another year or two on it. That's called being upside down, and that is pretty stupid.
Old 01-19-10, 03:23 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soupdawg
No and yes.

Yes, he'll get his money's worth if he drives the car into the ground.

No, it still doesn't make sense to spend more on a nicer car because he's spending more time in it. If anything he should buy a used reliable cheap car, put all of those miles on it, and use the rest on a fun used car (s2000, z4, miata, elise, viper, etc.).

Most importantly, it's never smart to buy a new car.
Old 01-19-10, 04:09 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Why does anyone buy a Lexus then. If you are going to say something stupid about financial ownership on a Lexus board you should sell your car and get into a civic DX manual.
Old 01-19-10, 04:16 PM
outlaws
Rookie

lexus is a toyota..... rebranded..... dont anyone else see this?
the only difference is lexus parts will be more expensive to buy, but other than that it's the same as owning a toyota...

currently i'm driving 50 mi each way just to see my gf even though my work is only less than 5 mi away from me. i was hoping that id put less than 10k in a year but lo and behold i'm at 10k in 6 months from the drives. so far i haven't done anything but put gas and change the oil. it's a pretty solid feeling car. the only thing that sucks will be buying sports tires that i can see is the main concern. that's the price you pay for having a "sports" car. other than that, it's just the usual maintenance.
Old 01-19-10, 04:58 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Why does anyone buy a Lexus then. If you are going to say something stupid about financial ownership on a Lexus board you should sell your car and get into a civic DX manual.
Because some of us are in occupations where image matters. Some of us value aesthetics over value.

This does not mean we do not know the difference between a good and bad financial decision.
Old 01-19-10, 05:15 PM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

Did I just read that you are going to buy a 2007 IS350 for 40K? You can get a new one!
Old 01-19-10, 05:23 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tmirk

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350-Possible to take to 200,000 miles & gas mileage question