IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Slam Hood to Close It? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 09:37 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Slam Hood to Close It? (merged threads)

Damn, my hood is hard to close. I have to slam it to close it. I know its not just my car because when I drove the demo at my dealer, it had the same problem. Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-27-05, 10:02 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus330
Damn, my hood is hard to close. I have to slam it to close it. I know its not just my car because when I drove the demo at my dealer, it had the same problem. Anyone else experience this?
OMG, man, I went to the gym the other night and I was talking to my friend and he was like "pop the hood" so we popped the hood. Then when we went to close it, we had a hell of a time. We didn't want to slam it shut. We spent 30 mins looking in the manual, checking if it wasn't lock wasn't catching, and just seeing if there was anyway to close it nice and easy. My friend was even apologizing for asking me to open the hood. Then we were like, "screw it" and slammed it and it closed. It wasn't the first time I had the hood open... but the other time was before I bought it at the dealership and I didn't really notice how hard the salesperson had to slam it to close it.
Old 10-27-05, 10:13 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here, took me like 15 mins to figure out to close it. I got pissed and slammed it shut. That and the leather on the door panel (so easy to scratch for some reason) is only the flaw I found so far.
Old 10-27-05, 10:28 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today, i had to call the lexus dealer and get one of the techs on the phone to make sure i was closing the hood right! he told me the new hoods are super-light compared to the old gen, that is the reason why we have to slam the new ones alot harder.
Old 10-27-05, 11:25 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
today, i had to call the lexus dealer and get one of the techs on the phone to make sure i was closing the hood right! he told me the new hoods are super-light compared to the old gen, that is the reason why we have to slam the new ones alot harder.
I had one of the first built 3rd Gen TL's and had a similar problem, a tech note was sent out later saying that the early builds were not properly alligned. A later alignment allowed it to close easily. Most likely the striker is set too low, so it does not latch unless a lot of force is used to compress it fully.

And yes, the Acrua dealer said at the time the new cars were hard to close by design (many Dealers said that until the tech note came out).

The IS350 I saw at the dealer showroom had the same issue, I would not say this is normal.

Most car makers say that you will be able to close the hood without slamming it, and buy using too much force could bend the hood.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-28-05, 05:44 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ya that does seem odd. You should be able to close a hood just by letting it drop under its own weight from a couple inches up. Well, you know how these things work - if enough people complain they will put out a tsb and have it fixed.
Old 10-28-05, 07:43 AM
jyg es3
Driver

Unhappy all the hood I tired closing

on new gs's new is , all had same problem, very hard to close. you do not know how much to slam.
Lexus should adress this and the constant clicking sounds from the injectors.
Old 10-28-05, 07:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jyg es3
Lexus should adress this and the constant clicking sounds from the injectors.
That's a normal item with Direct Injection technology. The D4 in the 2GR-FSE IS350 engine puts out 1600 psi of fuel pressure. There's a reason for the clicking...annoying or not, that's how D4 technology works.
Old 10-28-05, 07:56 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

holy crap I thought I was the only one with that problem. took me about 15 min the first time, thought I was gonna mess up the hood
Old 10-28-05, 07:58 AM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Yes, I thought I was gonna dent the hood as well. This absolutely sucks. You have to really slam it hard for it to close. Wtf did they do this? Do you guys think there will be a fix for this? Yes, I too am annoyed at the clicking sound from the engine.
Old 10-28-05, 09:19 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default All of the hoods are like that.....

It always takes me about two times to get it shut because I always underestimate how much force to use.

The clicking sound is not the engine or valves as Flipside said it is the mechanical fuel pump at the back of the engine compartment that increases the fuel line pressure for the direct injection. That is what is giving you the excellent fuel economy, ample power and ULEVII emissions. Turbos make a certain sound as do super chargers and this is the sound of the fuel pump, not a defect.

Rock
Old 10-28-05, 09:23 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep....hard to close. I remember at the auto show, I tried closing it like 5 times, then I gave up and slammed it. Man, it's going to be painful to do it everytime I want to pop the hood.
Old 10-28-05, 10:24 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, all u gotta do is adjust the strike latch height or the rubbers on the ends of rad support.
Old 10-28-05, 10:55 AM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wolverine
holy crap I thought I was the only one with that problem. took me about 15 min the first time, thought I was gonna mess up the hood
Same here and I even had several other people trying to figure it out

Lex
Old 10-28-05, 11:56 AM
Maximus350
Pole Position

MR LEX, have you found a cure yet?

Quick Reply: Slam Hood to Close It? (merged threads)