IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 Navigation Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 03:26 PM
simpsonn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 250 Navigation Option

Currently shopping around for IS 250's. I found one but it does not have navigation and I love the look of having the screen. Has this been a deal breaker for anyone or do you not mind not having the navigation?
Old 01-06-10, 03:51 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's something you really want, I'd wait - no use in regretting your purchase over something like that. Personally, I never use to get NAV; but when I went to purchase my current IS, the dealer only had NAV cars. Now, I wouldn't buy one without it.
Old 01-06-10, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

In all honesty I don't use the Nav that much, but when I was looking for an IS, one of my criteria was that it had to have Nav, because I felt the interior just looked better with it lol. Not to mention resale will be a bit higher with Nav
Old 01-06-10, 04:00 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

I don't use my NAV to often but i wouldn't get a 2IS without it. It makes the interior look so much better, and the rear view camera comes in handy alot since the rear seats are high up. Get the NAV its worth the wait and the extra money.

Plus it does come in handy at times
Old 01-06-10, 04:08 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -
Forum Moderator

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

My Two pennys are that the interior of the 2is without navi just looks plain ugly. You could go aftermarket, but most of the aftermarket ones ive seen look cheap and plasticy looking. Although i dont use navigaqtion alot, it definately does come in handy when i need it. Love the reverse camera becuase my car is lowered and if i were to reverse into a parking space, i would scrape my exhaust and possibly the rear lip. I always use my reverse cam when im straightening out in reverse.
Old 01-06-10, 04:14 PM
simpsonn
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible to have the stock nav installed?
Old 01-06-10, 04:19 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...250-350-a.html

highly endorsed.
Old 01-06-10, 04:27 PM
kslater
Driver

If you have to register to a forum and inquire about this one option, I think it is safe to say, Get the Nav. You may regret not getting it but usually don't regret getting it even if you don't use it a lot. The price diff is a little more if you buy a new car but I think you can find used with navi very easy for good prices.
Old 01-06-10, 05:33 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simpsonn
Is it possible to have the stock nav installed?
very expensive to get it added...

i think its safe to say that none of us that have NAV use it that much but it looks better, resale better, back up camera (the main reason i got NAV), and the bluetooth make it worth every penny (heard the 2010 have bluetooth with out nav)
Old 01-06-10, 07:35 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MCL1
+1. i'm planning to get flyaudio. i'm glad now that i didn't get the stock nav.
Old 01-06-10, 07:41 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
very expensive to get it added...

i think its safe to say that none of us that have NAV use it that much but it looks better, resale better, back up camera (the main reason i got NAV), and the bluetooth make it worth every penny (heard the 2010 have bluetooth with out nav)
With all due respect, what you say isn't accurate. It's about 1700-1800 to buy and install yourself. Probably around 2200-2300 installed?

That includes the backup camera, bluetooth and DVD etc.

Best purchase I've made.

I believe the stock nav system with less capabilities is around 3500 from lexus.
Old 01-06-10, 07:58 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

well i sold my non nav is250 to get a nav equipped is250
cuz theres so much more functions in the car
and plus it looks better
Old 01-06-10, 07:58 PM
GoGators
Rookie

I really loved the Smokey Granite Mica/dark wood combo. As it was, the 2009 that I found had navi. I was not looking for it as I rarely use it too, and $$ were in consideration. I ended up getting the car on 12/31/09 as the dealer wanted to move the car. I LOVE IT!! It looks great, and really completes the car. Afterwards I have looked at the aftermarket ones, and they are nice (way nicer than expected!), but IMO, seeing Lexus at boot up and knowing it is covered with the rest of the car is reassuring. If you can afford it, get it. You will not regret.
Old 01-06-10, 08:14 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoGators
I really loved the Smokey Granite Mica/dark wood combo. As it was, the 2009 that I found had navi. I was not looking for it as I rarely use it too, and $$ were in consideration. I ended up getting the car on 12/31/09 as the dealer wanted to move the car. I LOVE IT!! It looks great, and really completes the car. Afterwards I have looked at the aftermarket ones, and they are nice (way nicer than expected!), but IMO, seeing Lexus at boot up and knowing it is covered with the rest of the car is reassuring. If you can afford it, get it. You will not regret.
I swear I don't work for flyaudio haha. just a very happy customer.

I see lexus at bootup too

The flyaudio one looks oem. check out the flyaudio thread.
Old 01-07-10, 05:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't say what year car you're looking at...

Be aware that prior to 2010 models the Lexus nav was the shortbus of the nav game... it charged 2029-era prices for 1999-era features. No lane assist, no real time traffic, no text to speech, etc...

The 2010 system is a lot better, though still overpriced.

Personally when I special ordered my 2008 I went out of my way to _avoid_ the nav, since a Garmin for 1/10th the price did a lot more. And that's still true (though now vs 2010 OEM nav it only does a few extra things for 1/10th the price instead of a dozen extra things for 1/10th the price).

However you suggested that the look of the integrated nav was very important to you... and that's a lot less objective a comparison.

That said, I'd probably still go with the Flyaudio system over the OEM nav... it's still cheaper, and still does more, than the OEM one does, but it looks like it came with the car and has a higher-res screen too.

Plus Lexus charges insane prices for map updates too. ($300/yr MSRP.... versus $99 lifetime for Garmin... not sure on cost of new maps on the flyaudio device but I believe you get several options there and I'd be shocked if they weren't all a lot less per year than Lexus gets)

Quick Reply: IS 250 Navigation Option