IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How hard is it to install HID?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 03:53 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

everything hard for the 1st time but u'll glad u do it yourself , do it on the side fender, just jack up the car sideway ,
Old 12-09-09, 07:17 PM
dsm3FIDDY
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shui3000
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DDM HID's have a lifetime warranty and they have a kit for only $30!!! I just installed some in my car two weeks ago. If anything goes wrong, just call them up and they'll send you a new one.

As for the ease of install, it's harder than people are saying it is. I just did it two weeks ago, and it took a few hours with me and someone else who has installed hid's on other cars and motorcycles.

The install guide is ok, it's missing some things. use both club lexus's install guide and my.is install guide. the my.is install guide pinpoints where the bolts are.

one thing both of them are missing is a more elaborate how to of taking out the airbox:
-loosen the nut that holds the clamp to the airhose and unclip the sensor
-unclamp the top half of the airbox as if you were changing the air filter
-take off the top of the airbox and pull out from the airhose
-now the bottom half is where i got confused because the instructions said nothing of this.
-the bottom half is connected to a snorkel which brings in air from the front center of the car. the snorkel is held in by a bolt and a clip which you have to pry with a screwdriver. you MUST remove both the snorkel and the bottom half of the airbox at the same time.
-unbolt and unclip the snorkel, and unbolt the airbox (tricky because you need a ratchet extention, i was lucky enough to be in my dad's garage where he has one).
-pull out the airbox and snorkel STRAIGHT UP (there's a two inch stick attached at the bottom of the airbox that goes into a rubber seal, so it feels like it's stuck in place, just pull hard up)

Another things was the dust panel.
-drill a 1 inch hole (buy a 1 inch bit, don't cheap out)
-on the inside are these grid pattern extensions, use cutting pliers to snip them out (i couldn't figure how to get rid of them so i used a million different tools and cutting pliers worked the best)
-remove the existing bulb by twisting counter-clockwise. install hid bulb by twisting clockwise

use a sealant on the outside (i used silicon caulk)

for the windshield wiper tube, just pull straight up

store your panels somewhere, no point in having them in your car once you've taken them off.

to summarize: buy ddm (they're the best deal i've found), do it yourself, it's not that bad now that you have information that fills in the blanks. oh, and buy 6000k, you won't regret it.
Ordered a set a few months ago from DDM for my k8 GSXR600 and they are awesome. Just received two kits for my 350, doing the lows and fogs tomorrow morning
Old 12-09-09, 07:22 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not hard at all; for me the hardest part was finding where to stow the ballast. for most HID kits, the ballast is pretty big, but luckily this last set that i got the ballasts were tiny and thus fit perfectly. took me quite a while but it was my first time.
Old 12-09-09, 07:42 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

HID installation is pretty easy, as others have said. Just don't try to rush installation, as it should only take like 30-45 minutes anyway for a first time. Don't get dirt on the bulbs.
Old 12-10-09, 01:12 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Just make sure to test that everything is working before you spend too much time making everything look pretty.

Steve
Old 12-13-09, 09:40 PM
Mnguyen409
Driver School Candidate

i did it myself and i also use the hidextra hid kit on my car... i had it bout 4 months and its working just fine... and the first time it was kinda hard but den u get use to it and i did it again and it only took me an hour...